Sign in to follow this  
Adelap

"SSL download Failed. Run webupdate"...

Hi Jane, and thanks again for the link. I went to see the comparison and it's very easy to follow. There's quite a bit that the pay program has over the free one. Hopefully, when I'm in a better position I'll upgrade.

Now, on the cookies removal, are you putting a check in the boxes next to the ones you want to remove. Also make sure you have ALL browsers closed. That way none are in use by windows. Those don't quarantine either, so they won't show what was removed afterwards. You can only remove or ignore (and yes some cookies you may want to keep).

Yes, I right click and chose "Check All" and then click on "Remove" and "Finish". It did remove the the MRU's, but ignored the ad spies. However, I don't recall whether my browser was closed. I must try agan this time making sure to close IE...and oh thanks for the graphic again, it's identical to my screen! ;)

I don't even bother scanning for MRUs as those aren't really a threat. Neither are cookies really. The only ones that are a real concern are under that first tab for critical objects. If you have questions, just consult that manual and it has some great explanatory screen shots on all the different functions.

I didn't intend to scan the MRUs, I chose the "Smart Scan" and it gave both results. :-)

Thank you Jane! Adela

You're welcome.

It should remove them. I've tested it time and again on the free version. I happen to be on another machine right now with the Pro Version but the scan settings options are pretty much the same for both free and Pro.

The reason it found MRUs is because of your scan settings. There are the settings I have (because I'm the only user on this machine I don't want MRU's to be scanned)

See? There is lots to learn about this. The more you play with it the more you find you can customize to your liking. That's true for the free version as well. You'll need to click on the image to get a larger view that's readable

post-65-1205456022.gif

I think this topic is now becoming the Ad-Aware 101 thread ;)

Hi Jane, you're so thorough! Are you a teacher??? :-) Dont mean to take so much of your time, but thanks so much for explaining so well about the "Realtime"!

Oh then, "Realtime" (pay version) catches always and automatically any intruders while "On-demand" (free version) cathes them only when we scan it...Mystery solved! It's a good function to have among others I saw in the comparison chart.

Always be wary of software that offers to scan your system for free and says that it "finds" malware but makes you pay or register to remove it. Those are usually fakes (also called Rogues).

Thanks for this alert too, I was going to scan with either Norton or Panda on their own sites as I was told they are VERY strong. I was hoping a strong scan might get rid of several glitches in my computer as I simply can't afford pumping more money into techis... :-) but wanted first to backup all my files...for months now... LOL! Not too sure how to do it and intimidated (I even bought a flash drive which I still have to learn how to use), but will consult with some forums and start once and for all as backups are highly important, I know. However, I'll remember your words of warning about these other site scans so it's a good thing I procrastinated my backups! ;)

Thanks again Jane for all your valuable information!!! Adela

Backups are extremely important. You are a quick study and I'm impressed. So do pursue that one ;)

Yes, I teach security on probably a couple dozen forums like this one and help users with malware removal for many years now.

Norton online scan is not so great (last I tried it didn't scan compressed files). Panda is good but pretty spammy and some users I have referred there have been getting spammish emails from them for quite a while. (I should stress they are SAFE, but I just have a better one I use these days)

I like and use and recommend this free online AV scanner these days. I think it is better than either of those (and they don't want an email addy and they don't send you marketing emails for using it)

This set of instructions will produce a log only and I want you to copy that at the end and post it back here. I'll review it for you and let you know if a second scan (with instructions to remove threats) is needed.

* Go here to run an online scannner from ESET.

• Note: You will need to use Internet explorer for this scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked, and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

We have now just progressed to "Security 101" and that's a passion of mine :D

Hi Jane...thanks for your nice words but I'm rather a slow learner that's why probably I have so many glitches. LOL! But you are a REAL expert in internet security consultation! I bet people fight to get you to help them. :-) You say you progressed to "Security 101", is it a course?

And thanks a lot for your new help. I just made the ESET scan and it said... "No threats found". Just as you said it was easy and took only around 30 minutes. Spybot scan takes 2-1/2 hours by the clock!!! Yet it always says "Congratulations - no threats!" I'm SO puzzled! But with Lavasoft I get long lists of trash which I just delete; makes you feel you're REALLY cleaning up. LOL! Of course I also delete from time to time temp files, empty delete folders, compact them, etc. Yet the glitches thrive on my computer!

Thanks so much for the info on Norton and Panda scans. That's how so many people fall into traps I guess. I'll use ESET from time to time and when it shows threats, perhaps if you aren't too busy you could let me know if they can be removed without causing some mess (as I usually do)?

Many thanks for all your generous help Jane! ;) Adela

P.S. How do you like to be called? Jane? Calamity? Or both? :-)

Well, good for you. With the eset second opinion I think we can safely say your "glitches" are not due to malware.

In fact, the cookies and MRUs that Ad-Aware is finding do NOT affect system performance, so you probably have some issues with system performance. I'm going to give you some reference that will help. These are really good for the non-technical user who wants to learn more but go slowly.

Review the tips on this page:

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem...owcomputer.html

That is from a good friend and fellow malware fighter who also volunteers in this forum (she goes by miekiemoes). She really knows her stuff and those tips are written with simple steps to follow to make sure you can get some help with simple maintenance that you can do.

This forum is just for Newbies and they are terrific. I belong to this forum as well and I highly recommend it for starters

http://www.newbie.org/help/

And this forum has some terrific self-help tutorials that is worth bookmarking in your favorites list:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

That's all I'm going to start you with for now. I don't want to overwhelm. And I don't want you to think that when you have a problem with your computer, throwing more security software at it is going to solve all your problems. Sometimes it is performance issues that need to be investigated. We've ruled out malware really at this point. And we now know that the updating problems you had when starting this topic was really at the servers and not your program. So those "glitches" are probably something other than what we started with here ;)

And I'll emphasize once more that the cookies and other "trash" being found by Ad-Aware at the moment is not the culprit. Those do not affect the way your system runs.

Oh thanks so very much Jane for all the great beginners links. I'll contact them right away. It's good to know that at least I don't have to fight with the malware since apparently I dont' have much! I'll keep all of your advice so I won't be wasting time with "petty" trash, cookies, etc. LOL!

Again my deep gratitude for all your help! I wish you the best of luck in your life! ;) Adela

Right, you don't have any malware running on there. Cookies don't run or do anything at all to affect your system. This is why we put them into a different category (Privacy threat) rather than in the Critical Objects like we used to in the old Ad-Aware. That is why I was saying that I wasn't too worried because you have NO critical objects showing your reports. And the online AV scan which checks for different threats like virus, worms and other nasties came up clean too.

Here is our definition and explanation about Tracking cookies (from our glossary page in the Spyware Education Center

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/spywareeducationcenter/

Tracking Cookies

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/spywareedu...TrackingCookies

A Tracking Cookie is any Cookie used for tracking users' surfing habits. Tracking Cookies are a form of Tracking Technology. They are typically used by advertisers wishing to analyze and manage advertising data, but they may be used to profile and track user activity more closely. However, tracking cookies are simply a text file, and a record of visits or activity with a single website or its affiliated sites.

and definition of a cookie:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/spywareedu...sary.php#Cookie

Cookie

A piece of data that a website -- or a third party that was commissioned or approved by the website -- saves on users' hard drives and retrieves when the users revisit that site. Some cookies may use a unique identifier that links to information such as login or registration data, online 'shopping cart' selections, user preferences, websites a user has visited, etc. See also Tracking Cookies.

A cookie is quite simply a text file and does not run or do anything else than contain text information that can be read by the website that deposited it and recorded the info on it. There are, of course, some "good" cookies that are helpful and you want to keep. So cookies in general tend to be widely misunderstood and mistaken for true malware. In that sense you do not have any.

Sign in to follow this