Sign in to follow this  
Norfolkman47

Ad Aware 2007 - Ad Watch probelm

HELP!!!

In the last couple of days when starting my PC Ad-Watch has appeared on my desk-top and NOT minimised as required! Whenever I try to change the configuration it reverts back. I have noticed in the "Analyzed Processes" that an item has appeared: is-T284H.tmp

What is this?

I have tried to re-install/repair Ad Aware but I am unable to uninstall the program!! Uninstall starts but stops with the following message:

“Error 1306. Another application has exclusive access to the file ‘C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\logs\AWProcessesLog.log’ Please shut all other applications, then click Retry.

Retry Cancel

I am also now unable to start my PC in SAFE Mode!!

I also run Kaspersky Internet Security and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Could anyone please help?

Norfolkman47

Edited by Norfolkman47

Hi Norfolkman47,

Firstly, about the item listed in your "Analyzed Processes" - please open the Help File (the ? symbol) and go to "Using AAW 2007 > Ad-Watch > Ad-Watch Processes".

This explains how to deal with any suspicious process that may have been detected. As it says there, each item has a TAI (Threat Analysis Index) rating so you can easily assess its threat level.

Clicking on the blue link above will take you to the TAI section of the Security Center at the main LS website. Check out the different links for information about threat and risk levels.

TAI_page_1.gif

TAI_page_2.gif

TAI_page_3.gif

It is likely that Ad-Watch is opening at start-up expressly to alert you to this threat. How you should treat it (Remove, Block, Allow) will depend on its threat level, which you haven't posted, and whether a Full Scan with the latest Definition File (0063) detects any malware.

I would also recommend a thorough anti-virus scan, as well as scans with any other security software that you may have, to see if any of them detect anything serious.

Once this issue has been resolved, we can deal with the Ad-Watch problem if it re-occurs.

Please post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike,

The TAI rating on this spyware is : TAI 6 and it states 'User Allowed'!! I haven't any recollection of allowing this process!

I have run another scan with both Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy but they are showing NOTHING!

Also did a full system scan with Kaspersky Internet Securit (Anti-Virus), again NOTHING!

Each time I try any re-configuration of Ad-Watch Processes it reverts back on rebooting therefore I am unable to change this "is-T284H.tmp" from allowed to blocked. I have also noted that sometimes the Definition Version (currently 0063) reverts to 0000!!!

(I have noticed that although I have subscribed to Ad-Aware 2007 Plus, when I look in Ad-Watch I see that 'Connect' and 'Process' ares now active and available to me!! Why? Surely these are components of Ad-Aware PRO which I do not have?).

Thinking that my version of Ad-Aware might have become corrupted I have tried to repair or re-install the program - I am unable to do either because the error message 1306 (shown in my original post), appears and stops me!

I am a little disappointed with Lavasoft as I submitted this problem to them days ago and have heard nothing from them at all - not very good Tech Support!

Many, many thanks for any help Spike.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Regards, Norfolkman47

Hi Norfolkman47,

When you emailed Support, did you at least get an initial automated reply? If not, they you may need log into the Support Center and change your registered email address, or at the very least make sure that their replies are not being filtered out as junk (either by your own email or your ISP). They usually respond quite quickly. I'll send you a PM to make sure that you are using the correct email address for them.

As for uninstalling, you might need to stop the AAW 2007 service first - go to "Start > Run" and type in services.msc the locate the aawservice (usually at the top of the list) and if it is still running, then click "Stop" before trying to uninstall again:

aaw2007___services.msc_2.gif

Then to your Ad-Watch settings, are you using the User List for permissions?

Ad_Watch___RegShield___User_List_2.gif

I am not a malware expert, however it is possible your AAW 2007 settings file has become corrupted or perhaps something is actually interfering with your program.

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike,

I actually sent a message to Lavasoft from their website where it is possible to submit a query to Lavasoft Support! No Replies at all! I will also use the e-mail address you gave to re-submit my query to Lavasoft.

In Ad-Watch Regshield ALL of the Protected Areas are checked(green tick) except Internet Explorer Settings (red cross)! I have NO entries in the User List - (what is this list?)

As I said in my previous message to you I am not sure which version is now running AAW2007 Plus or AAW2007 Pro???

I have downloaded a few Outlook Express Backup programs (Shareware/Freeware) from Tucows a few weeks back and installed/uninstalled them until I found one that was suitable which I have kept on my PC - could any of these have cause the problem? Also installed a small program that came with a Sandisk SD card (RescuePro), again could this have caused a problem too? (I have now uninstalled both of these programs.)

BIG QUESTION: Should I now disable AAW2007 from services.msc and try to uninstall AAW2007 and reinstall? OR Would you advise me to completely reformat my hard drive and re-install Windows XP and all of my programs again??

:D I am somewhat concerned about this Spyware file ("is-T284H.tmp" - TAI 6) as on reading the explanation of TAI 6 privacy files on my PC can be compromised and system instability (I cannot reboot in Safe Mode)!

Many thanks,

Regards,

Norfolkman47

Edited by spike-nz

Hi Norfolkman47,

Would you advise me to completely reformat my hard drive and re-install Windows XP and all of my programs again??

No way - that is too "slash & burn" at this stage - leave it as a final option...

I'm going to hand you on to one of our malware experts shortly (not my field of expertise). The file may have come with or as part of one of your recently downloaded apps - personally, I couldn't be sure.

First, do a search for that file - go to "Start > Search > All Files & Folders" and type in the file name (before starting the search, click on "More Advanced Options" and make sure that all options except "Search tape backup" and "Case sensitive" are selected (ticked).

If the file is located, take a note of it's location, then right-click on it, select "Properties" and see whether it is related to any of your known programs. Then try and delete it (leave it in the recycle bin, in case it is a false detection and you want to recover it in future).

If it won't be removed or can't be located, then run services.msc, locate the aaw service and click on stop - then try uninstalling again. If the uninstall works (and your OS is Win XP or earlier, then please download and install the Microsoft Windows Install Clean-up Utility (WICU) from here - locate any references to AAW 2007 and highlight/remove.

Then run cleanmgr to clear out your temp files etc, before trying a fresh install of AAW 2007 (I would suggest getting the most up-to-date version of v.7.0.2.6 from here).

Post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

NB: We'll get onto configuration issues like the User List etc, once everything else is cleared up.

Hi Spike,

I did a Search on my PC for the file : is-T284H.tmp I could not find it!!

Then I run services.msc and located Ad Aware Service - I click on 'STOP' and it status changed to 'AUTOMATIC' (not disabled). I then tried to uninstall AAW 2007 Plus but could not uninstall - same result as before:

“Error 1306. Another application has exclusive access to the file ‘C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\logs\AWProcessesLog.log’ Please shut all other applications, then click Retry.

Retry Cancel

Therefore have not run WICU!!

Not sure what I can do next!!!

Regards,

Norfolkman47

Hi Norfolkman47,

Firstly, my apologies for the late reply - very busy at the moment...

Ok, lets go back to the beginning - I've had another look at your initial posts and suggest a fresh approach.

Don't try and uninstall AAW 2007 right now, as I don't consider that to be the main problem. The reason that it won't uninstall anyway, is because your Ad-Watch Processes log is being held open, probably because of that Temp file.

Next, right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray and select "Close Ad-Watch" and confirm.

Then go to "Start > Run" and type in cleanmgr, then click OK - select Temporary Internet Files, Temporary Files and Recycle Bin and then "OK".

Now for some info - would you please post back with the following:

• Your OS (ie: Win 2000, XP SP2, etc;
  • Your firewall;
  • Any other security apps other than AAW 2007 Plus, Kaspersky Internet Security and Spybot S&D;

And finally, please would you run a new Full Scan (with the latest Defs - 0065) and cut/paste the scan log into your reply from the "Log File" tab in your scan results, using the "Add Reply" button at the bottom right (this avoids repeating the previous post in quotes automatically):

Add_Reply.gif

Regards,

Spike

Hi Norfolkman47,

Firstly, my apologies for the late reply - very busy at the moment...

Ok, lets go back to the beginning - I've had another look at your initial posts and suggest a fresh approach.

Don't try and uninstall AAW 2007 right now, as I don't consider that to be the main problem. The reason that it won't uninstall anyway, is because your Ad-Watch Processes log is being held open, probably because of that Temp file.

Next, right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray and select "Close Ad-Watch" and confirm.

Then go to "Start > Run" and type in cleanmgr, then click OK - select Temporary Internet Files, Temporary Files and Recycle Bin and then "OK".

Now for some info - would you please post back with the following:

• Your OS (ie: Win 2000, XP SP2, etc;
  • Your firewall;
  • Any other security apps other than AAW 2007 Plus, Kaspersky Internet Security and Spybot S&D;

And finally, please would you run a new Full Scan (with the latest Defs - 0065) and cut/paste the scan log into your reply from the "Log File" tab in your scan results, using the "Add Reply" button at the bottom right (this avoids repeating the previous post in quotes automatically):

post-4454-1206774782.gif

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I finally bit the bullet and formatted my hard drive, reinstalling all of my OS and software via Dell Support.

I waited 12 days for a reply from Lavasoft and then this last weekend they replied!

It appears that although Ad-Aware 2007 Plus identified the file "is-T284.temp" as a TAI 6 infection Ad-Aware Support did not have a clue as to what it was!!!! Seems Lavasoft are pretty poor at Support as far as I am concerned!

I could not afford to wait for Lavasoft to sort themselves out so I spent 3 days re-installing my PC! According to the TAI 6 criteria there was a possibilty of a privacy compromise and my PC becoming unstable (which it did!) - thats why I took such drastic action!

Many thanks for your help anyway Spike.

Regards, Norfolkman47

Sign in to follow this