Sign in to follow this  
24randyo

Can Not Remove All of the Privacy Objects Found

When I perform a Smart Scan with Ad Aware 2007 Free Version, it usually finds anywhere form 50 to 100 "Privacy Objects". When I select the objects and click "Remove", it will remove anywhere from a few to most of them and then a screen pops up that says...

"Error Removing items...

Items will be removed when the Computer is restarted" (Or something like that).

If I try to click "Remove" again, it does nothing. So, I click on Finish, and it says "There are unhandled items, are you sure you want to finish?" Yes or No.

How do I adjust my settings so that it removes all of the Privacy Items? Is there any other way to remove these items?

When I perform a Smart Scan with Ad Aware 2007 Free Version, it usually finds anywhere form 50 to 100 "Privacy Objects". When I select the objects and click "Remove", it will remove anywhere from a few to most of them and then a screen pops up that says...

"AdAware 2007 An Error has Occured

Cleaning

Unable to remove file

Suggested Action

Will be removed after you have restarted your Computer".

If I try to click "Remove" again, it does nothing. So, I click on Finish, and it says "There are unhandled items, are you sure you want to finish?" Yes or No.

How do I adjust my settings so that it removes all of the Privacy Items? Is there any other way to remove these items?

Hi Randy,

It's a little confusing in that message. Basically it is saying that some objects that can't be removed will be removed when you restart your computer. Did you try rebooting after that and then scan again?

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply!

No, I have not tried rebooting and scanning again. I guess if I do, I will find that the objects have been removed. I have always just scanned again a couple days later, or whenever, and then I have no idea if the objects that are found are the same ones that were found before or new ones.

In any case, it is a little cumbersome having to reboot every time, don't you think? What does it do with the objects until the computer is rebooted? What is it about the objects that makes them unremovable? Can AdAware 2007 be updated so that it will remove them?

Please let me know,

Thanks, Randy

In any case, it is a little cumbersome having to reboot every time, don't you think? What does it do with the objects until the computer is rebooted? What is it about the objects that makes them unremovable? Can AdAware 2007 be updated so that it will remove them?

Please let me know,

Thanks, Randy

I'm having exactly the same problem the last few weeks. I get this error message every time. I'd had the program for quite some time and never had to reboot to clear the objects before. Now I have to do it every single time. I'm not even sure it's removing them all.

Is there some way to fix this?

Anything that is in use by Windows, for instance, is going to need a reboot. Not all items will require it but some certainly do. There is also a feature in Ad-Aware that deletes difficult malware on reboot so that it deletion mechanism loads before the malware can load on a reboot, and therefore delete it.

Make sure that you are putting a checkmark in the boxes next to the items you wish to remove and then press the *remove* (or quarantine) button. Not all items will quarantine either. Cookies and MRUs for example. You can only choose Remove or ignore them. That is because they are not considered critical objects.

Anything that is in use by Windows, for instance, is going to need a reboot. Not all items will require it but some certainly do. There is also a feature in Ad-Aware that deletes difficult malware on reboot so that it deletion mechanism loads before the malware can load on a reboot, and therefore delete it.

Make sure that you are putting a checkmark in the boxes next to the items you wish to remove and then press the *remove* (or quarantine) button. Not all items will quarantine either. Cookies and MRUs for example. You can only choose Remove or ignore them. That is because they are not considered critical objects.

All I know is I have adware on my machine, and my husband has it on his. I have to reboot every time, he never has to reboot. I never had to reboot every time until recently. Something is different, or something is wrong.

Hello. First time poster here. In fact, i registered so i can use this forum.

I am getting the same message ever since i switched from Ad Aware SE to Ad Aware 2007. I am running XP SP2 and IE 7. Here is the step by step description of the problem:

1. Every time i run a "smart scan" i will get a reading on anywhere from 200 - 700 Privacy objects (cookies).

2. Then when i select all and remove them I get the same message Randy got :

" Unable to remove file

Error

will be removed when computer is restarted"

3. I click ok, then try to select all again and click "remove". Nothing happens

4. When I click "Finish" the program ask me "there are unhandled objects, are you sure you want to finish" and since "No" just get me stuck i have to click "yes".

5. As a result, i do NOT feel secure about Ad Aware 2007. By essentially forcing me to click "Yes" in step 4 above, the program implies that all these cookies are not deleted and they are harmful to the computer. When i used to run Ad Aware SE, the cookies are just deleted, no problems.

Please find a solution to this problem ASAP. I find the issue very troubling and it is decreasing my confidence in what was once a very good a reliable program.

Hello. First time poster here. In fact, i registered so i can use this forum.

I am getting the same message ever since i switched from Ad Aware SE to Ad Aware 2007. I am running XP SP2 and IE 7. Here is the step by step description of the problem:

1. Every time i run a "smart scan" i will get a reading on anywhere from 200 - 700 Privacy objects (cookies).

2. Then when i select all and remove them I get the same message Randy got :

" Unable to remove file

Error

will be removed when computer is restarted"

3. I click ok, then try to select all again and click "remove". Nothing happens

4. When I click "Finish" the program ask me "there are unhandled objects, are you sure you want to finish" and since "No" just get me stuck i have to click "yes".

5. As a result, i do NOT feel secure about Ad Aware 2007. By essentially forcing me to click "Yes" in step 4 above, the program implies that all these cookies are not deleted and they are harmful to the computer. When i used to run Ad Aware SE, the cookies are just deleted, no problems.

Please find a solution to this problem ASAP. I find the issue very troubling and it is decreasing my confidence in what was once a very good a reliable prograPm.

This is exactly the same messages I am getting, and it also all started when I upgraded to 2007. I've tried to reinstall the program. I've also tried the repair option, but nothing changes. I too have Windows XP.

I agree that the screens are a little confusing. Click on the "yes" when notifed there are unhandled objects.

will be removed when computer is restarted
means that the items that cannot removed immediately will be removed when you shut down and restart your computer.

I agree that the screens are a little confusing. Click on the "yes" when notifed there are unhandled objects.

means that the items that cannot removed immediately will be removed when you shut down and restart your computer.

Hi Jane,

Does this mean that Ad-Aware 2007 is detecting objects that Ad-Aware SE wasn't detecting, like objects that are in use by Windows? Ad-Aware SE could always delete all the objects that were detected and that made me feel much better about my computer being protected.

I liked the Ad-Aware SE version much better all around, actually. Is it possible to start having updates for it available again? If not, will it be possible to make Ad-Aware 2007 more like SE, in that you do not have to reboot your computer in order to feel that you have safely removed the threats?

Please let me know,

Thanks, Randy

Gee, I just posted almost the exact same question a few hours ago. I never had this problem with AdAware SE and never had to reboot. What is the problem with the new version?

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply!

No, I have not tried rebooting and scanning again. I guess if I do, I will find that the objects have been removed. I have always just scanned again a couple days later, or whenever, and then I have no idea if the objects that are found are the same ones that were found before or new ones.

Please let me know,

Thanks, Randy

Hi Jane,

Does this mean that Ad-Aware 2007 is detecting objects that Ad-Aware SE wasn't detecting,

Yes. For one example Ad-Aware 2007 detects and deletes privacy objects (cookies) in multiple browsers (Firefox and Opera in addition to IE). I also notice that Ad-Aware 2007 detects not only the tracking cookie but also references in the cookies index. I don't recall the SE version doing that but I could be wrong.

Ad-Aware 2007 is designed for today's malware vs. SE was designed in 2002 when the environment was much different than today.

Yes. For one example Ad-Aware 2007 detects and deletes privacy objects (cookies) in multiple browsers (Firefox and Opera in addition to IE). I also notice that Ad-Aware 2007 detects not only the tracking cookie but also references in the cookies index. I don't recall the SE version doing that but I could be wrong.

Ad-Aware 2007 is designed for today's malware vs. SE was designed in 2002 when the environment was much different than today.

This is a complete nuisance. Unless I reboot immediately, it keeps reminding me, and slows any other program I use down to a crawl unless I reboot immediately. It seems like I'm at the mercy of this thing. I just don't understand why it only happens to some people and not to others.

I am having exactly the same problem and I am not so sure that the remaining items are actually being removed when I reboot. When I check my log it indicates that I had 238 Total infections detected and only 98 Total infections removed. 0 have been quarantined.

I am having exactly the same problem and I am not so sure that the remaining items are actually being removed when I reboot. When I check my log it indicates that I had 238 Total infections detected and only 98 Total infections removed. 0 have been quarantined.

That is another one of the issues. The final log Just says a small number of items remove, nothing quarantined and the rest is not recorded as deleted. How do i know if AdAware has really cleared the privacy objects instead of letting it fester?

I have Adaware 2007 Plus version (pay) and I too started to have this exact same sequence of events. I had the program since last year soon after the 2007 versions were released and did NOT have this problem until a couple of weeks ago so it is new. If it is of any consolation I immediately re-scanned after one of these "error" messages and the count was 0 (zero) privacy issues so it seems that despite apparantly leaving some unremoved they all are?? Anyhow there has been something that has changed or something that needs tweaked with the program.

Ron

This is a complete nuisance. Unless I reboot immediately, it keeps reminding me, and slows any other program I use down to a crawl unless I reboot immediately. It seems like I'm at the mercy of this thing. I just don't understand why it only happens to some people and not to others.

Lucyb,

I think we should check to be sure your machine doesn't have some real infection lurking that Ad-Aware is having a problem removing. Please go here http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=13639

and follow the directions to post a HijackThis log into a new topic. Please let me know when you have posted that log and I'll go take a look at it for you.

In this screenshot - I think this is the error that everyone is describing here in this topic?

post-65-1207340776.gif

If this is happening in the *Privacy Objects* area, be sure that you have dealt with any items in the *Critical Objects* tab first (those are real infection that need to be quarantined or removed.)

To clarify: So if you get this in the Privacy Objects area, that is telling you that there is a file cannot be removed. Suggested action: 0 (meaning you don't need to do anything further than finish, close out the program and restart your computer to have them removed)

and then it tells you that it will be removed after you have restarted your computer.

Therefore, just click the *ok* button and then the finish button (it will then tell you there are unhandled objects). Just click on *ok* to that and reboot your computer. All items should have been removed. You can rescan after the restart to confirm. It is possible you might have a stubborn bit of malware that won't remove, even with the reboot, in which case, you should follow the step I gave to Lucy above.

Yes, that is the error message. However, why would the log not indicate that the remaining Privacy Items were removed? I am not convinced that they are, even after the computer is rebooted.

In this screenshot - I think this is the error that everyone is describing here in this topic?

post-65-1207340776.gif

If this is happening in the *Privacy Objects* area, be sure that you have dealt with any items in the *Critical Objects* tab first (those are real infection that need to be quarantined or removed.)

To clarify: So if you get this in the Privacy Objects area, that is telling you that there is a file cannot be removed. Suggested action: 0 (meaning you don't need to do anything further than finish, close out the program and restart your computer to have them removed)

and then it tells you that it will be removed after you have restarted your computer.

Therefore, just click the *ok* button and then the finish button (it will then tell you there are unhandled objects). Just click on *ok* to that and reboot your computer. All items should have been removed. You can rescan after the restart to confirm. It is possible you might have a stubborn bit of malware that won't remove, even with the reboot, in which case, you should follow the step I gave to Lucy above.

This is the same error window I am receiving, but there are no critical objects found, only privacy objects. Like others have said, when AdAware 2007 first came out, there was no problem removing items. It seems to me that either a change was written into AdAware via definitions, or perhaps WinXP security updates, or perhaps something in Norton (does everyone with this problem use Norton? I do).

At any rate, I hope the administrators will not simply keep repeating the instructions to restart and rescan and all will be well. Most of us just don't have the time or patience to do this. It seems unnecessary and no other software I'm using requires a restart every time I use it. So, if Calamity Jane and others will please work on this, those of us who have used this software troublefree and costfree for years will be most appreciative. I stopped using Spybot S&D when PC World said it was basically subpar whereas it used to be great. AdAware has always been great until now.

I don't mean to bite the hand that protects me, but I think it would be nice to have a more expanded explanation of the problem and some reassurance that the designers are aware of these issues. If you do not feel this is an error, but a design feature, then change the way the message is worded. That might ease the tension. Thanks in advance and please don't ban me.

Yes, that is the error message. However, why would the log not indicate that the remaining Privacy Items were removed? I am not convinced that they are, even after the computer is rebooted.

Cookies are not logged. There are not an infection and they are not a threat to your computer. They may be a privacy concern to some which is we offer the function to remove them if you wish.

post-65-1207340776.gif

Hi Jane,

I understand all of what you are saying... BUT... it is a big pain to have to reboot EVERY TIME!!!!

Can we not correct this so that it simply removes what it finds and then tells you so!!!!

Randy

Hello Randy,

I cannot even reproduce it one single time for cookies only.

The only time I get that reboot message is on a real infection.

Have you expanded out the list on what it finds and looked to see if all those privacy objects are cookies only? Are you excluding MRUs in your scans?

FYI, when you want to post a reply use this button (Add Reply, and NOT the "add reply button. That way you don't end up quoting the previous post each time.

You have to scroll down a wee bit to see it:

post-65-1207579814.gif

Hi Jane,

I just did a scan. I did not exclude MRU's (what are they, by the way). That is what my settings have always been since I installed the program.

AdAware 2007 found (0) Critical Objects and (74) Privacy Objects. I looked at each one, and they are all Tracking Cookies. I check marked them all, hit remove, and this time, it removed all but 3 and then brought up the same message, which is actually pretty good, better than normal.

Please comment,

Randy

Sign in to follow this