Sign in to follow this  
floplo

Where My Thread?

Floplo,

Have you actually tried looking for it before posting?

Try clicking on your name at the top-left of the forum (next to the "log out" link) which will open up your profile, where your recent Topics are listed.

Alternatively, the simplest way to find your posts, topics or your profile is quite simple - click on your name...

Find_Member__s_posts.gif

You will find all of the links that you need there.

Hi

Sorry, no I didn't try looking for it since I assumed it would be in the same area as it was placed before. I was unaware of that method of finding my thread also. I didn't expect that it would have been placed in a resolved area of the forum when my problem is still ongoing. I realize it is a long thread and has been going on for quite some time, but so has the problem been going on for a long time.

Hello floplo,

There is nothing wrong with your Ad-Aware program. It finds the cookies it has in detection. Other scanners may find cookies we don't detect for one reason or another. And cookies is really low priority since they are not a threat. Our Research Team is working overtime to get the latest real threats, like Zlob, Vundo, downloader trojans and banking trojans (and many other much more serious threats to your computer) into detection to protect from infection so we may not be real aggressive on cookies detection at this time while the malware threats are so much greater.

Thank you for responding to my post. Finally, some one from Lavasoft has taken the time to respond other than Spike. It just seems so odd that the program will find the cookies one day and they will get deleted. Then the next day, the very same cookies will go undetected sometimes for weeks and weeks. I know they are in your database if they were for instance found on April 1, but then nothing after that for the same identical cookies. I realize they not a huge threat to my computer. It just seems so inconsistant in finding them... I can't go back to give you an actual for instance since the logs don't stay any more with Adaware 2007. I can't seem to change the number of logs to keep on my computer since it stays at 1. Spike has tried to help, don't get me wrong. Here's one cookie I find every night in my cookie folder.atdmt.com Now, on occasion it will be found and I can delete with your program. Why is it on some smart scans it is found, but on the majority of them it isn't found? That is what is puzzling me, not the discovery of new cookies, but the same ones. Any way, thanks for replying B)

Thank you for responding to my post. Finally, some one from Lavasoft has taken the time to respond other than Spike.

See here:

What is this Forum about?

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=15529

The Support Center is available for Plus and Pro Users who are entitled to free technical support. This is a Discussion Forum and not the official Support Center. Spike is one of our valued volunteers who gives his free time to answer the free users posting in this forum with questions. He enjoys helping others with his expertise in using the Ad-Aware program. His answers are quite accurate and reliable. He deserves a huge thank you from everyone as do our other Valued Members and volunteers. We provide these forums for that purpose. We do not provide paid staff in here to monitor and answer all topics in here because they are answering users with technical questions via the Support Center.

Just take a look in the "Help, I'm infected Forum". There are Volunteer Security Advisors from all over the globe giving their free time to help others remove difficult infections. They do this for joy of helping other people and not paid staff. They provide a tremendous service and they do it all for free. Other Valued Members, like Spike, who have expertise likewise are here answering your questions as a volunteer and to lend a hand. Have you thanked a Volunteer helping you lately? B)

My function in here is as your Forums Administrator keeping these forums open and available to free users (and paid users who also may visit) who wish to discuss or ask questions to other users about Lavasoft products. I am also on the Research Team and out here looking through the forums for the latest undetected threats and getting them submitting for detection. So for you free users, this forum is for you have a venue to ask for help from other users. Please don't expect that Lavasoft Employees are going to be in here reading and answering in every topic. I will, from time to time, jump in where needed but I have the administrative duties of running this forum that take priority. In MY free time I also volunteer helping in the Hijackthis forum.

As for the detection of cookies, Patrick Kolla, the author of Spybot Search and Destroy has a FAQ on their Support Page that explains it very well

Why do other anti-spyware applications detect so many more tracking cookies?

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html

You can nowdays block these types of cookies with your browser settings! Years ago we didn't have those options and we used programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot to detect and remove cookies. These days, since your browser can be configured to block them in first place, emphasis in research is going into more important areas that pose a real threat to your computer. As Patrick explains in that article some programs target everything as tracking cookies just to make an impression that they are doing something useful, in order to make an impression and make a sale. Cookies are text files that don't run anything. They are a minor privacy issue for some but our emphasis these days is on the more malicious types of threats out there that are increasing. We continue to add new cookies in detection from time to time, but no, we don't detect every 3rd party cookie as spyware.

There is nothing wrong your Ad-Aware program.

Yes, I do appreciate everyone who has offered some sort of help or advice or who has made a post in my previous threads. I do the same sort of thing in Game Spy Arcade forum. I am one of the main ones who help out in the GSA Forum and in the game lobby of the game I play. I know what a help the volunteers are as I am one of them in GSA. I think I am just about the only VIP in GSA that is a volunteer and not a guest speaker. I'm not one of the official helpers that wear the tag by my choice, so they made me a VIP instead. I know these types of forums are run by volunteers and you guys all do a great job and put in the time you have in the forum that you can put in. Sorry, if I gave you the wrong impression.

Ok, glad to know. I did get the wrong impression that maybe you thought Spike's help lesser knowledge when really he is more knowledgeable about some of the workings of this program that I am. I'm just the Forums Administrator and a malware researcher!

I don't know if I provided this link for you to block 3rd party cookies using your browser:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...cookies-in-ie7/

It is in the Spybot link about cookies if you read that too.

Sign in to follow this