Sign in to follow this  
LX200_Dave

Ad-Adware 2007 hangs

Like others running the free version of Ad-Aware SE I received a notice that I should upgrade to Ad-Aware 2007, which I did. Accroding to the information about my installation I have version 7.0.2.7 with updates from today (5/19/2008). My issue is that AD-Aware 2007 usually hangs up and never completes a scan. My OS is Windows XP Home SP2 and I also use the free version of AVG antivirus. The system I am operating on is a Toshiba Satellite A65-S126 laptop, 2.8 GHz Celeron processor, 256 MB DDR SDRAM and connect to the inernet via my PeoplePC ISP.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

Nothing like registering and then making first post to report a problem, but a problem that is apparently SOLVED by doing 2 things which I will report on later, at the bottom of my post!!!

I run Win 2000 Prof, SP 1, and have used AA SE for 2 years. Went to the New version, AA 2007, 7.0.2.7 with frequent updates and continue to have the dreaded 'Won't run to completion' problem. The program goes to about 80% done with no visible file scanning taking place and refuses to go to completion. However, if I kill it, run it again, kill it a second time, and run it a 3rd time, it seems to work.

Just to eliminate something I may have done settings-wise, I revisited all previous posts about this problem HERE on this Forum for Host/AA 2007 recommendations for the Scan Settings. I have changed the Scan Settings on my machine as follows with GOOD results:

Skip files larger than 30,000 KB

X (Don't) Scan for MRUs

Net of this is that I have for 2 nites in a row now had SUCCESS each time it (AA 2007) has run! No more run it 3 times!!! I was getting very fustrated and I have a new laptop running Vista to set up.

I hope this post encourages others to try the recommended settings. Fortunately, it seems to work for me. I hope it continues to work. There is 1 big HOWEVER -- it takes 7 minutes to run which is considerably longer than the prev. version, AA SE.

Cheers!

GordonB

Hello GordonB,

Thanks for posting your findings. Glad to hear you got it working.

As for this question:

There is 1 big HOWEVER -- it takes 7 minutes to run which is considerably longer than the prev. version, AA SE.

Cheers!

GordonB

That isn't surprising. Ad-Aware 2008 is much more powerful and has been upgraded to search more unique areas with a much larger definitions database due to the explosive growth of today's malware that SE could not address.

Hello All, and, especially, To You, Jane,

As with the others noting a version 2007 Free hanging, so have I. What bothers me is that it was first doing fine after the last update, when suddenly, it hangs.

When I look at the progress of the scan, it states it is scanning "system information". This is fine, but it does not show a particular file or object. Then its clock keeps ticking, which means the program is still doing something.

When I try to close the program, I am informed that it is unresponsive. So, I must force the program closed. When I try to run the program, again, without rebooting, I am told that there is an error and the core engine is busy. This is a message from the program, itself (in a balloon). After that first time, it never again did a full scan (I only use "Full Scan" mode.).

I will try those fixes, but, I do have my doubts that because I am using 2007 Free, it will not allow me to do such. I will get back to this list when I have results.

Regards,

Amigan_1

Hello All,

Found out something interesting. Not sure if it was/is due to Ad Aware 2007 Free.

After my last bout with Ad Aware 2007 Free hanging, and because I have the Virtumonde malware on my other computer, I decided that I would first delete Ad Aware 2007 Free (uninstall it), then I would install Ad Aware SE. Yes, I know SE is no longer officially supported, but, through the Lavasoft site, I can still update its database and abilities.

BTW, you can fully configure SE to properly match what you have with your system. Unless you either have bought the 2007 package or elected to use the "try this" offer, the extent of configuring only goes as far as fully checking the computer's internal harddrives; you cannot check any external drive (like a Zip, stick drive, external harddrive) which might also have an infected file. You can check these other drives using SE.

The above paragraph is not why I am writing this now. I discovered that after I uninstalled 2007 Free, and installed SE, my system started running smoother. I saw that there were less accesses to the Internet, as indicated through Zone Alarm Personal. I do not know whether this means that version 2007 Free was just doing a lot more, or whether there is a bug. I just thought I should mention this.

Thanks.

Regards,

Amigan_1

Well, if you have aawservice.exe running on your computer the whole time, it does lag a little bit.

And off course it would lag even less if you would get Comodo. I myself, wouldn't never pay from anti-virus or firewall..

Oh, I have avast! and Comodo

Sign in to follow this