Sign in to follow this  
opel13

"Scan freezing problems"=Conflict AAW2008 & ZoneAlarm firewall

I have two PCs, both with OS=Windows XP Home SP3.

No.1 PC = Antivirus Avira Antivir Premium v.8 (paid) and Firewall ZoneAlarm v.7 (paid) plus Ad-Aware 2008 (free).

No.2 PC = Antivirus AVG v.8 (paid) and Firewall ZoneAlarm v.7 (free) plus Ad-Aware 2008 (free).

As I already mentioned in other threads, I have the problem with "scan freezing" =

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18383

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry77336

I think that I found the reason for my "scan freezing broblems": CONFLICT BETWEEN ZONEALARM AND AD-AWARE 2008=

In No.1 PC,

With Avira/ZoneAlarm active, Ad-Aware 2008 scan halts at about 102.000 scanned objects (not always in the same file).

With Avira/ZoneAlarm off, Ad-Aware 2008 scan results NORMAL=

Smart scan= 121.911 total objects scanned / scan time 06:10

Full scan = 139.605 / 09:30

With Avira active and ZoneAlarm off, Ad-Aware 2008 scan results NORMAL=

Smart scan= 121.909 total objects scanned / scan time 13:55

Full scan = 139.597 / 15:15

With Avira off and ZoneAlarm active, Ad-Aware 2008 scan results =

Halts at abt. 102.000 scanned objects.

f.y.i.:Before, With Ad-Aware 2007 in above PCs, everything was in order.

Edited by op57

In No.2 PC, confirm same CONFLICT BETWEEN ZONEALARM AND AD-AWARE 2008=

With AVG8/ZoneAlarm active, Ad-Aware 2008 scan halts at about 100.000 scanned objects (not always in the same file).

With AVG8 active and ZoneAlarm off, Ad-Aware 2008 scan results NORMAL=

Smart scan= 105.175 total objects scanned / scan time 16:46

Full scan = NORMAL

With AvG8 off and ZoneAlarm active, Ad-Aware 2008 scan results =

Halts at abt. 100.000 scanned objects.

No.1 & [email protected] PCs, AAW 2008 (free) with Def.version=0085.0000

Edited by op57

Hi op57 :)

the conflict between AAW2007/2008 is a known issue.

I'm running the SpyWare-scans off-line ( off-line scan <> to be on the saver side ) and with disabled firewall.

Thanks for the hints

Raziel :)

Hi op57 :D

the conflict between AAW2007/2008 is a known issue.

I'm running the SpyWare-scans off-line ( off-line scan <> to be on the saver side ) and with disabled firewall.

Thanks for the hints

Raziel :)

But I am talking for CONFLICT BETWEEN ZONEALARM AND AD-AWARE 2008

and not for conflict between AAW2007/2008!

Edited by op57

I don't have ZoneAlarm, but I have the problem with "scan freezing" on all (2) my PCs. :-(

Instead ZoneAlarm I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security (versions 7.0.0.125 and 7.0.1.325). Of course it was disabled during scan with freezing result.

Thanks for reporting this. LS Babar is the Developer looking at these freezing problem. I'll point him to this topic.

Please read also my post (#4) here =

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18488

Although I said before for a conflict between AAW8 and ZoneAlarm v.7,

it is more specific to say:

"I suppose that freezing problem cones from a conflict between AAW8 and Kaspersky engine because ZoneAlarm v.7 has a Kaspersky engine in paid and free versions."

Ah, ok - thanks for the clarification. There was a known conflict with Kaspersky that I believe was fixed in the latest software updates to fix that conflict. Do you have the latest updates to Ad-Aware 2008? I've still pointed them to this topic though, just in case.

Ah, ok - thanks for the clarification. There was a known conflict with Kaspersky that I believe was fixed in the latest software updates to fix that conflict. Do you have the latest updates to Ad-Aware 2008? I've still pointed them to this topic though, just in case.

I am currently using the Free version 7.1.0.8 with definition file version 0085 dated 26 May. I have never been able to completely scan my system in my last 10 attempts due to freezing (not the same freeze point each time). I have both Zone ver7 and Kapersky AV version 6 which I temporary disable before Adware scan. Never had this problem in SE. Same outcome on smart scan and full scan.

I tried to do an update by clicking Software Update from the Lavasoft menu found in my start button but it says no update found therefore I believe I am currently using the latest version. How do I get the latest version if mine isn't?

I am running on WinXP SP2.

post-58103-1211828376.jpg

Edited by 145bhp

Yes the latest program updates, latest def.version=0085.0000

Thanks for the confirm op57.

Development team is aware of it and working on it.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18478

It may need more of a fix than first found so stay tuned

I wonder if it would be less confusing to merge all of similar topics to this into one? Maybe I will just point them to the couple of topics we already have going.

I've got a new report here:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18558

Freezing on cursors seems to be a common report on this one.

I wonder if it would be less confusing to merge all of similar topics to this into one? ..

Yes, I think so.

regards

Edited by op57

It may or may not be relevant - but I have ZA Pro "versus" AAW 2008 Plus, and I have NO conflicts...scans all OK, stuff found, and AdWatch doing what it should.

Maybe this is poignant...? :)

*Edit#1* Worked with Definitions File #0085, and also works with latest Definitions File #0086.

*Edit#2* My son had a similar problem with installing an updated program against ZA, and I gave him this advice which worked / still works for him:

1) Download and SAVE (not RUN) the program that you wish to install.

2) Uninstall any program(s) that need to be uninstalled - FYI, with SE Plus, I uninstalled via XP's "Set Program Access and Defaults" & "Change or Remove Programs", rather than via the uninstall.exe utility of SE Plus.

3) Go to ZoneAlarm's Program Control->Programs tab, and remove ALL traces of the program that you've just removed.

4) Go to ZoneAlarm's Program Control->Components tab, and remove ALL traces of the program that you've just removed.

5) Run e.g. CClean Registry Cleaner.

6) Reboot and check ZA again for new entries relevant to the program that you've just removed (YES - they DO re-appear...!)

7) Run e.g. CClean Registry Cleaner again.

8) Repeat #6 & #7 again if necessary, and then Defragment the relevant drive.

9) Reboot, and then install the saved program.

He now follows this pattern religiously, and hasn't had a ZA conflict since (touch wood!)

BTW, once a month, I wander down ZA's Programs Tab and Components Tab, and remove all entries that have just "question-marks" beside them, or belong to programs that I know I've uninstalled. When I reboot, I get some items returning onto those tabs (mainly Microsoft stuff, or Start Menu items) that still have just question-marks beside them - but the increase in SPEED of boot-up alone is staggering...try it...you can't harm anything if it's only entered as "request permission every time" (question-mark).

Edited by gelert

Hello I think this is already a known problem but I am experiencing the same freez-up during scanning.

AdAware 2008 Scanning Does Not Continue

I use AdAware 2008 (free) v7.1.0.8; Japanese Windows XP Home Edition SP2, Kaspersky

I have three PCs all with above installed. I downloaded this today and started scanning. About 15minutes into scanning, the scan operation does not seem to proceed any further and I can see my houglass moving on two PCs. I was only able to successfully complete the scanning task on one PC.

PS: With AdAware 2007 (free version) I did not have any problem.

Regards snoma01 from Japan

Hi, I just wrote about my scan freezing problems in another forum below but I see that this is the preferred place.

To cut to the chase, I have Windows 2000, free AVG virus, paid Zonalarm Security Suite with virus and spyware disabled, firewall on manual. Download of 2008 (free version) went fine, as did updates. Deep scan froze at around 60k objects, some old ad-aware 7 files left behind. I cleaned them out. Then deep scan froze at about 62k, cookies.dat.

Hope this gets resolved soon!

Thanks,

Jane

Thought I would add that I just tried two more scans: both offline, one with ZA fully disabled, the second with AVG disabled added. Both froze at about 64k, "scanning archive".

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth

1) May I ask you which version of ZA (v.6 or v.7) you have?

Hi op57,

I use ZoneAlarm Pro v7.0.470, plus all of the other stuff in my signature....

*Edit* But my son uses ZA Free - I don't know what the version number is, but it's bound to be the latest one knowing him... :wub:

Edited by gelert

Hi op57,

I use ZoneAlarm Pro v7.0.470, plus all of the other stuff in my signature....

*Edit* But my son uses ZA Free - I don't know what the version number is, but it's bound to be the latest one knowing him... :wub:

Thanks for reply,

the fault was mine as the answer to my question re your ZA vesrion was already in your signature!

Time to update to v.7.0.473 :D =

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/inf...aseHistory.html

For ZA free =

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html

Edited by op57

I'm going to stick with v7.0.470 as it works for me with AAW 2008, and the changes from .470 to .473 aren't massive IMHO:

Compatibility improvements: Fixed compatibility issue with public beta of ForceField

Other improvements: Various stability improvements.

Besides which, ZA's Automatic Updates and "Manual Check-for-update" don't even identify a potential upgrade from .470 to .473...! :wub: The first that I knew of .473 was when I followed your link... :D

Nah - I'll stick with .470 for the moment...it works, and more importantly it works with AAW 2008 - and I'm reasonably certain that I don't use "Public Beta Forcefield", whatever that is...time for a google perhaps...?

Hi

Am new here. I also have this problem - whilst using Adaware 2008 free.

My details as follows:

Windows XP Pro SP3 (32bit)

AdAware 2008 Free v.7.1.0.8 (def file 0086.0000)

AVG 8 Free v8.0.100

Zonelalarm v.7.0.470.000

SpyBot SD v1.5.2.20

Firefox Browser 2.0.0.14 (IE7 installed but not used)

I don't seem to have any problems running a smart scan, however every time I run a full scan the program will hang (the progress timer continues to run - but the adaware service activity drops to zero). It progresses through the Deep, and Regular registry scans just fine, and starts to do the File Scan - says it has detected 9 possible infections, and then just does nothing.

I have tried every suggestion in the forum including:

Shutting off Zonelalarm

Limiting the file size (skip files larger than 10000kb)

chkdsk & defrag all drives (in safe mode)

disable deep archive scanning

Regrettably none of these options has had ANY effect at all. :)

Can anyone offer any suggestions, help, a really big heavy mallet? I haven't submitted the log contents as it doesn't even write anything to it (other than the fact the scan was started).

Thanks

V

@ LS CalamityJane,

Today, (30 May 08), in my No.1 Pc, AAW8 program updates (many) received, AAW8 new version= 7.1.0.10.

After that, a smart scan (not so smart I can say, needs more than double time compared with AAW7) performed with Avira Antivir Premium & ZoneArarm active, NO MORE “freezing†problems noticed!!! :D:D:D

Def.version:0087.0000

SCAN SUMMARY:

Scan mode: smart

Scan time: 00:46:07

Number of files scanned: 122.024

Number of infections found: 1

Critical: 0

Privacy objects: 1

Infections deleted: 1

Total infections quarantined: 0

Total infections ignored by scanner: 0

Furthermore, the following questions ;) remains in my mind:

a. In Lavasoft Labs, the AAW8 was tested alone, not tested with other software (i.e.Kaspersky/ZoneAlarm) in order to check for possible conflicts?

b. If the conflicts were already known, why customers not informed in advance i.e. a warning message during the initial installation??

c. If the conflicts were unknown, no comments, I don’t want to say anything else here in the Forum.

d. During the “beta†period, no one from the beta testers was Kaspersky & ZoneArarm user?

regards

avon

Edited by op57

I am currently using the Free version 7.1.0.8 with definition file version 0085 dated 26 May. I have never been able to completely scan my system in my last 10 attempts due to freezing (not the same freeze point each time). I have both Zone ver7 and Kapersky AV version 6 which I temporary disable before Adware scan. Never had this problem in SE. Same outcome on smart scan and full scan.

I tried to do an update by clicking Software Update from the Lavasoft menu found in my start button but it says no update found therefore I believe I am currently using the latest version. How do I get the latest version if mine isn't?

I am running on WinXP SP2.

I finally get to scan my system for the first time a moment ago. No more freezing problem. I ran it with both my Zone Alarm and Kaspersky AV on. Thank you Lavasoft for all your effort. It must have been a stressful situation over at Lavasoft in the last few days.

(version 7.1.0.10 and file definition 0087)

Edited by 145bhp

Hi all,

Yes - the program update today should resolve the freezing problems you were having!

Thanks for the confirm that it did B)

Hi again,

Sorry no change here.

AdAware 2008 Free v.7.1.0.10 (def file 0087.0000)

Total objects scanned ~111408, and 18 possible infections found.

When I run a FULL SCAN the program still hangs at roughly same place,

V

PS Smart scan still appears to run correctly - it hasn't completed yet (takes ages) - but it is still going. It has also detected 18 threats.

I've had the same freezing problems on my PC, using deep scans, with Ad-Aware 2008 and also A-Squared. I also have Zone Alarm firewall installed.

However, I have the same versions of the same programs on my laptop, and there is no problem.

After many investigations and experiments I found a cure which works here.

Unistall Ad-Aware 2008, and also uninstall Zone Alarm.

Re-install Ad-Aware, and THEN re-install Zone Alarm - IN THAT ORDER....

Deep scan issues with anti-virus and anti-spyware seems to be cured by installing Zone Aarm as the last program in your security suite.

(It sorted out the deep scan issues with A-Squared too...)

Sign in to follow this