Sign in to follow this  
gelert

Advice required for Extended Anti-virus Engine

I've just updated from SE Plus to AdAware 2008 Plus.

AAW 2008 has an Extended Anti-Virus Engine built into it.

I'm under the impression that running two anti-virus programs alongside eachother isn't a very good idea. :)

I have AVG Free 7.5.524 installed on my PC. This program does traditional Anti-virus stuff, but also monitors my emails and leaves a "paperclip" on both incoming and outgoing mail, which AAW 2008 doesn't seem to do.

So TWO questions:

1) Should I disable the Extended Anti-Virus Engine in AAW 2008 if I'm running AVG 7.5...?

2) If AAW 2008's AV Engine can't scan or leave a paperclip on emails, and has to be "stand-alone" what's the point of it - or is this issue going to be addressed in a future update...?

XP Pro SP3

AAW 2008 Plus 7.1.0.8

AVG 7.5.524

ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.470

Edited by gelert

Both AVG 7.5 (free) and Adaware are on demand scanners. This means as long as you are not running both at the same time, they will not interfere with each other. They would probably both run just fine, but the affectiveness of of the anitvirus engines to catch viruses would be reduced. (that would be bad)

Adaware does not scan emails. It is a spyware program with an additional option to use an extended antivirus engine to help catch spyware or even viruses (if turned on).

The AVG email scanner will work just fine just for email scanning and there should be no performance degredation in regards to emails.

I'm am unaware of any future plans for Lavasoft to include email scanning in Adaware at this time.

Here is a screen shot of the features of Adaware and also what the plus and pro version offers.

post-65-1212332779.gif

Edited by LS CalamityJane
Optimized image to reduce file size

Both AVG 7.5 (free) and Adaware are on demand scanners. This means as long as you are not running both at the same time, they will not interfere with each other. They would probably both run just fine, but the affectiveness of of the anitvirus engines to catch viruses would be reduced. (that would be bad)

Adaware does not scan emails. It is a spyware program with an additional option to use an extended antivirus engine to help catch spyware or even viruses (if turned on).

The AVG email scanner will work just fine just for email scanning and there should be no performance degredation in regards to emails.

I'm am unaware of any future plans for Lavasoft to include email scanning in Adaware at this time.

Here is a screen shot of the features of Adaware and also what the plus and pro version offers.

Thanks for the quick reply, Txnnok. Yup - I downloaded the PDF 2008 Manual and read through it this afternoon - that is where you got the screen-shot from I guess...?

MMmmm...AVG 7.5 is loaded at start-up with WinXP, and scans emails all the time (automatic Send/Receive every 5 minutes)

AdWatch is loaded with WinXP at start-up, and continuously monitors all LAN traffic and registry modifications.

AVG Scan is set for 0600hrs daily, whilst AAW 2008 Plus Scan is set for 0300hrs daily.

So Txnnok, would you suggest that this is a case of them running both at the same time...? If so, I'll disable the Extended Anti-Virus Engine in AAW 2008 Plus.

If you are running both at the same time, then yes, disable the extended antivirus in Adaware.

I'm not sure if youre aware of this, but avg has updated to 8.0 now. Since your updating yoour programs.

If you are running both at the same time, then yes, disable the extended antivirus in Adaware.

I'm not sure if youre aware of this, but avg has updated to 8.0 now. Since your updating your programs.

Thanks - will do.

You're right about AVG and v 8.0. I've tried it, but without dissing another company, AVG v8.0 is so Resource-Hungry as to slow my PC down to a crawl...so I reverted to 7.5.

Thanks again Txnnok.

Now all I have to do is sort-out the missing Scan Activity Icon (different thread), and I'll be well-pleased...

Both AVG 7.5 (free) and Adaware are on demand scanners. This means as long as you are not running both at the same time, they will not interfere with each other..

This is not correct.

AVG is a real time scanner, only if somebody wish to disable the real time scanner, then AVG remains as on demand scanner.

This is not correct.

AVG is a real time scanner, only if somebody wish to disable the real time scanner, then AVG remains as on demand scanner.

Here is a pic off the website were I got the no realtime info.

post-65-1212330654.jpg

Here is a link and a pic of a wesite that expains AVG a little I found after you replied this last time.

http://www.download3000.com/download_18497.html

post-65-1212330677.jpg

I guess it does have some realtime scanning. Is it monitering for when files are opened and then it scans. I dont know. As for realtime protection when your online and from web pages, it doesn't have. Kind of a weird mix match. Its been a few years since I've used avg, I remember the resident shield, but thats about it. Other than its one of the best free scanners there is.

Was it the shield that made you think it had to have some sort of realtime?

I'm glad you took sometime to look into, though. That being said, Yes absolutely shutdown AVG before using the extended antivirus of adaware to scan. We don't want to the possiblity to degrade any scan.

Edited by LS CalamityJane
Optimized images to reduce file size

@Txnnok,

I use AVG (free & paid) more than 4 years.

AVG (free) always was a pure antivirus with a "real time virus scanner" (yes, the resident shield).

AVG (paid) is antivirus+antispyware

In version 8, AVG (free) is antivirus+antispyware.

Safe Surf is another story =

Safe Surf

Real-time protection from poisoned web pages

Safe Search & Surf

The essential protection for Internet use. New web threats (called exploits or drive-by downloads) can infect your computer just by visiting a web page! Our new technology ensures the safety of search results, web pages, favorites & bookmarks before you open them.

AVG Free only includes the Safe Search protection which provides you with advice on search results. It does not protect against infected pages. Only AVG paid versions contain the Safe Surf technology.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-an...us-free-edition

If you don't have Safe Search & Surf, AVG' real time scanner will find the problem after you open the web pages.

Edited by op57

@Txnnok,

I use AVG (free & paid) more than 4 years.

AVG (free) always was a pure antivirus with a "real time virus scanner" (yes, the resident shield).

AVG (paid) is antivirus+antispyware

In version 8, AVG (free) is antivirus+antispyware.

Safe Surf is another story =

If you don't have Safe Search & Surf, AVG' real time scanner will find the problem after you open the web pages.

I agree - AVG Free v8.0 includes the Safe Search protection which provides you with advice on search results. It does not protect against infected pages.

Unfortunately, AVG Free v8.0 slowed-down my IE7's functions to such a MASSIVE degree (>20 seconds to open my Home Page from clicking the desktop icon!) that I gave-up with it. Additionally, a Google search was equivalent to dial-up...! And the PC boot time increased to over 90 seconds, relative to about 50 seconds normally (yes, I have a LOT of services running...!)

But I digress. AVG7.5 Service and AAW 2008 are now living happily together, with 2008's Extended Anti-Virus Engine disabled in both the Service and also AdWatch.

However, I'm still confused as to the merits of 2008's Extended Anti-Virus Engine...surely everybody runs an Anti-Virus checker on their Emails? Even if it's only an "on-demand" Anti-Virus device, isn't it going to conflict with the Extended Anti-Virus Engine of 2008 at that time anyway? What's the point of it...?

Just curious. :)

I am glad you found out. It is impossible for any us helping here for LS to know everything about all the antivirus or other proggrams that detect spyware. We all absolutely encourage people to take iniatitive, like you did, and find out the answers.

As to your question, no, because the extended anitvirus when it is being used is only scanning the files not the emails. My emails are scanned by my antivirus as they are being downloaded,it leaves a stamp on each telling me they are safe. If I disable my antivirus to use the extended scanner I can leave on the email scanner of my main AV program so if choose to download emails at the time of the adaware scan I can. Adaware is not scanning the incoming email,even while its running a scan.

How two scanner interfereing with one another actually degrade each others performance would require some research.

If you find out why,please reply again, I would definitely like to know.

Sign in to follow this