Sign in to follow this  
mx-5driver

Error after software update process

Hello,

after each update process I'm receiving an error saying:

"Not more than one instance of this application can be running at any time." (see attached screenshot)

It seems like Ad-Aware does not properly shutdown & restart itself after downloading software updates in order to activate installed updates ?

OS installed: Windows XP Servicepack 3 English

Lavasoft-Software installed: Ad-Aware Pro 2008

Regards

mx-5driver

post-30174-1211868644.jpg

Edited by mx-5driver

I also have the same problem since I installed 2008. Lavasoft support suggested that I should reinstall 2008 but the problem still exists. I have noticed that the Ad-Watch icon disapears from the tool bar when the problem occurs although Windows task manager shows that Ad-Watch is still running .

OS installed: Windows XP Servicepack 3

Lavasoft-Software installed: Ad-Aware Plus 2008

Regards

DerekS

Hi there,

Exactly what was happening to me after every definitions update. I reported this to the support team and on their advice have just uninstalled and reinstalled. Now waiting for the next update to see what happens. Please also report your findings to the support team.

Best wishes,

Ron

Hi everyone, me again,

I have just completed my first antivir update after reinstalling and it worked fine. So looks like mine might be fixed.

Good luck,

Ron

I have no problem with the antivirus updates, it is the software updates which create the problem for me.

Regards

DerekS

I have exactly the same problem. It is fine on definition updates but it then goes back and downloads antivir3vdf again for the umpteenth time.

------------------------

27.05.2008 16:40:27: Initialized

27.05.2008 16:40:27: Server type: Plus

27.05.2008 16:40:27: Fetching update xml from server

(compressed) https://plus.2008.download.lavasoft.com/pub...-aware01.datlzm : Compressed file not found, retrying with uncompressed version

27.05.2008 16:40:41: Server type: Plus

------------------------

27.05.2008 16:40:47: Initialized

27.05.2008 16:40:47: Server type: Plus

------------------------

27.05.2008 16:40:54: Initialized

27.05.2008 16:40:54: Server type: Plus

27.05.2008 16:40:54: Server type: Plus

(compressed) https://download.lavasoft.com/public/closedlzm : Compressed file not found, retrying with uncompressed version

27.05.2008 16:40:57: Process is running as administrator

27.05.2008 16:40:57: Updating component(s) selected by GUI

27.05.2008 16:40:57: Downloading https://download.lavasoft.com/public/aaw2008/antivir3vdf : (compressed) verification successful, 245248 bytes received

27.05.2008 16:41:00: Successfully updated dependency 1

27.05.2008 16:41:01: Sending terminate event to Ad-Watch.exe

27.05.2008 16:41:01: Successfully installed dependency 1

27.05.2008 16:41:03: Restarting C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Watch.exe THIS IS WHERE THE ERROR IS

------------------------

27.05.2008 16:42:48: Initialized

27.05.2008 16:42:48: Server type: Plus

27.05.2008 16:42:49: Server type: Plus

------------------------

27.05.2008 16:42:54: Initialized

27.05.2008 16:42:54: Server type: Plus

------------------------

27.05.2008 16:48:54: Initialized

27.05.2008 16:48:54: Server type: Plus

27.05.2008 16:48:57: Server type: Plus

------------------------

27.05.2008 16:49:11: Initialized

27.05.2008 16:49:11: Server type: Plus

It also tells me only to run one session of Ad-Watch. T o overcome the Adwatch problem, I have set Adwatch as per attached screen shot. It means that I have to restart Adwatch manually.

This happens on both my PCs. I even removed AAW 2008 completely and did a clean install to no avail.

I just tested for the auto update for def. 86., didnt't have any problems. I have had this glitch happen to me. Maybe theyve fixed it now.

Pierre left mine on load adwatch at start up. Might try yours again next round.

"Not more than one instance of this application can be running at any time."

I have noticed that the Ad-Watch icon disapears from the tool bar when the problem occurs although Windows task manager shows that Ad-Watch is still running .

It happens only after an antivir-update.

I've just had this problem this morning. I have Definitions File #0086 installed.

Downloaded the update which was an anti-virus update, got the message "Not more than one instance of this application can be running at any time", and the AdWatch icon disappeared from the taskbar.

I re-booted, but next time I might try disabling AdWatch via WinPatrol and then restarting it.

I'm not having much luck with AAW 2008 and GUI Icons, am I...? :wub:

*Edit* That's interesting...! I've just re-opened AdAware - I cancelled "Do you want to go to the Download Centre" option on the pop-up, and then disabled "Update Definitions File at startup" in Settings. Then I manually checked for an update, visited the "Download Centre" and got yet another Anti-Virus update (or maybe the same one - perhaps the first one earlier didn't take?). The warning "Not more than one instance of this application can be running at any time" popped up, which I acknowledged - at which point AdWatch unloaded itself. I checked in WinPatrol and Task Manager, and AdWatch wasn't running. So I restarted it from AdAware, and AdWatch loaded-up fine, and the icon appeared in the TaskBar.

So I'm going to keep this setting for the time being ("Update Definitions File at startup" disabled, "Update Definitions File before scanning" enabled), even though I lose the Scan Activity icon during scheduled scans with these settings (see here).

Edited by gelert

I have set Adwatch back to auto but have to restart it manually after Ad-Aware has done a software update. The update shut Adwatch down but does not restart it. Happens on both PCs - 1 running PRO and 1 running PLUS.

Edited by Pierre67
Spelling error.

So I'm going to keep this setting for the time being ("Update Definitions File at startup" disabled, "Update Definitions File before scanning" enabled), even though I lose the Scan Activity icon during scheduled scans with these settings (see here).

GOOD NEWS...! Definitions File #0087 and Anti-Virus (#3?) just downloaded on a MANUAL download request.

AdWatch unloaded itself during the AV download / install - well, the taskbar icon disappeared in any event - and then AdWatch reloaded itself / icon reappeared...! :) And all this whilst the Definitions File was still downloading (ZA IP Traffic Icon confirmed still downloading).

Definitions File took quite a while to arrive / progress bar was slow. But this might be due to heavy traffic on LS Servers.

And the icing on the cake - Definitions Status Current Version shows #0087 without a program reboot...

Now, where's that "Hooray" smiley got to...? :D

Unfortunately this has just happend to me, software update for antivir3 completed and then I got the error. (def version 0087.000).

Ad-Watch was open at the time of update, but the icon has disappeared.

When I clicked ok ad-watch did not restart.

Edited by casey_boy
add

Still have restart Adwatch manually. Think I will lodge error report as this should have been picked up sooner.

Error lodged with LS 12:15 EST (Australia) 30 May 2008. Now we wait. :)

This issue appears to have been solved in the last software update. Can someone verify this, please.

I was trying to think of what is causing the error and what my settings were when it happened to me.

I believe it has to do with the load adwatch at startup setting. If you leave it unchecked then when you update, adaware resets but the setting being unchecked throws a wrench into the engine. The programming tells it not to start, but before the update reset is going back how everything was before the update. So if adwatch is running, adaware programming starts adwatch, but adwatch's programming is telling it not to start, because of the setting telling it not to start. So the programs conflict with each other. This why you dont see icon. Adawares programming is the primary driver, its making adwatch run and adwatch's driver is being told to stop by its programming. but adaware's wins but adwatch's manages to shutdown its GUI. I could go on but I believe I made my point.

Does this make since? I dont know if Im right, but it sounds good. If you shutdown adwatch before the update there is no conflicting programming and you dont get the error.

post-65-1212334766.gif

Edited by LS CalamityJane

This issue appears to have been solved in the last software update. Can someone verify this, please.

I have down loaded the last software update without the problem occuring. The issue appears to have been resolved.

Regards

DerekS

As far as I can make out the issue is fixed and 'Load Adwatch on Startup' can be ticked.

Edited by Pierre67
Punctuation

As far as I can make out the issue is fixed and 'Load Adwatch on Startup' can be ticked.

Agreed - I've not had this issue since May 28th. And May 29th, I posted that IMHO it was fixed.

I've had "Load Adwatch on Startup" enabled all of the time...

...but NOT "Update Definitions File at startup" of AdAware. Maybe at the release of the next Definitions (#0088), this function should be tested, prior to putting this bug to bed...?

Just my 2-cents.

I have just down loaded the latest software update this morning without the problem occuring. The issue appears to have been finaly resolved.

Regards

DerekS

I've had "Load Adwatch on Startup" enabled all of the time...

...but NOT "Update Definitions File at startup" of AdAware. Maybe at the release of the next Definitions (#0088), this function should be tested, prior to putting this bug to bed...?

Just my 2-cents.

Just done this - "Update Definitions File at startup", as well as a normal manual download. I still have "Load Adwatch on Startup". Downloaded "Updating Anti-Virus3" for the umpteenth time, like other posters have reported...but...

...no further issues with "Error after software update process". :)

Downloaded "Updating Anti-Virus3" for the umpteenth time, like other posters have reported...but...

The anti virus data base has been updated on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day.

Just checked the actual file 'antivir3.vdf', it is now 370kb and mine is dated 11.22 am 1 June 2008.

Does that explain it?

The anti virus data base has been updated on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day.

Just checked the actual file 'antivir3.vdf', it is now 370kb and mine is dated 11.22 am 1 June 2008.

Does that explain it?

Thanks Pierre...yes, that piece of information explains it all...

Cheers for that. :D

Gelert.

Time 11:35 EST (Australia) 2 June 2008.

Adwatch restart bug is back after updating Adwatch has to be manually restarted.

Reason is that restart command is only given once in download instead of twice.

Check your Update.log from drop down list on Main Status>Log files.

Sign in to follow this