Sign in to follow this  
nathancase11@hotmail.com

Bugs and Issues with Heurestic Scan level

firstly, I reinstalled Aaw2008 (as a routine test) and found that there is an issue with the Heurisitcs level settings.

1. When you first open aaw2008 pro/plus the use heuristics is ticked but there is no default scan level. I thought this was supposed to have been fixed in the beta?! It was definately reported as fixed. Click here the second point. An explaination anyone?

See screenshot for proof.

2. Also, if you click 'reset settings' then Activate extended virus engine is deselected and so is use heurisitcs. I can't even get heuristics to come back on now!

3. If I then restart the program the Activate extended virus engine and heuristics are selected again, but there is no set level for the heursitics!

4. Also, seriously, higher means more thorough?! What does that mean? Is level 1 higher than level 3? it sounds like it, but 3 is higher than 1 in a numerical sense. So what is it?

I would report this to the support centre but I'd like to hear other people's feedback on these issues.

Casey,

Untitled32.jpg

Edited by casey_boy
more bugs added

4. Also, seriously, higher means more thorough?! What does that mean? Is level 1 higher than level 3? it sounds like it, but 3 is higher than 1 in a numerical sense. So what is it?

I don't generally use the Heuristics, as it might interfere with my AVG Anti-Virus service - see here.

But because I'm thick, I assumed that Level 3 was the highest / most thorough... :rolleyes:

But now that you've pointed this out, perhaps as Level 3 is graphically lower than Level 1, then maybe Level 1 is higher than.... ;)

Thank god I don't live in a building with a lift, eh... :D

DefCon 5....oh, that's alright...it's only a drill...!

Whaddya mean, mushroom cloud outside the window....? B)

So which is the most thorough....? Level 1 or Level 3...? Or is "thorough" the wrong word to use...?

Interestingly, I've just done a Manual Scan with the latests defs. (#0090), and I thought that I'd adjust a couple of settings in the Scanning Tab. Heuristics was greyed-out...! :)

Basically the route was Open AdAware->Update Manually->Adjust Settings (found heuristics greyed-out)->Scan (no infections found)->Heuristics still greyed-out->Close AdAware->Reboot AdAware->Heuristics now able to be selected... :huh:

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that level 3 heuristics is the highest, and therefore the most thorough setting.

I haven't experienced any of the issues that casey_boy or gelert have though , I have heuristics set to level 3 and the extended engine activated and everything seems to run as it should with nothing greyed out :)

hi lynz, during the normal running process I don't experience the problem.

The problem occured when I first installed. So you'd have to reinstall to verify, but don't worry about it ;)

hi lynz, during the normal running process I don't experience the problem.

The problem occured when I first installed. So you'd have to reinstall to verify, but don't worry about it :)

Agreed - it's not a massive issue, and it's not like I'm going to change my settings every ten minutes...

But my immediate concern was "maybe Heuristics only belongs in Pro and not Plus, and LavaSoft had realised and removed the function"...paranoid much...! :(

So far, I've got Heuristics on Level 3, Extended AV Engine turned on in AdAware (off in AdWatch), and scanning with this whilst AVG is still active doesn't seem to have been an issue so far...for either program...

...fingers crossed that this remains the case... ;)

ditto

--

TUT

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that level 3 heuristics is the highest, and therefore the most thorough setting.

I haven't experienced any of the issues that casey_boy or gelert have though , I have heuristics set to level 3 and the extended engine activated and everything seems to run as it should with nothing greyed out ^_^

Sign in to follow this