Sign in to follow this  
wchawkins

Registration Error - Hardware Fingerprint

Hello all, got a problem.

Recently formatted my hard-drive, and after doing so, went to go buy the Plus version of Ad-Aware.

Downloaded, everything worked fine, entered my key, no problems. I know there were no problems because Ad-Watch and everything worked fine.

I think I know what caused the problem. I installed this while windows was still downloading it's updates. Rebooted after the windows update was installed.

Boot the system up, lots of things had changed, including the fact that I got an error saying that only Plus and Pro version of Ad-Aware were able to run Ad-Watch, etc. Loaded into Ad-aware, and it says FREE in the upper right. I figured well maybe I need to put my key in again after the windows update. I get the normal: "Will now contact activation server!", then click Ok. After this, I get the following error:

"REGISTRATION_STATUS_REACTIVATION_FINGERPRINT_CHANGED"

Well, odd, so I click Ok. It asks me to enter my key again, and then I keep getting the error.

How can I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I tried uninstalling and re-downloading the program from my account and license page off the website, and after installing, still get the same error.

Please Help! :unsure:

Welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum

The problem that you are experiencing is that the new registration system has noticed that your configuration has changed - this happens both with new systems or hardware upgrades to an existing one (if you are forever tinkering around with your PC, this process will become a bit of a pain). It is part of the system designed to stop piracy, which was quite prevalent with Ad-Aware SE Plus/Pro.

Open Ad-Aware and in the "License Status" panel, click on 'Upgrade" - in the registration window is a "Hardware Fingerprint".

You will need to contact Support, giving them this fingerprint and as much data as possible - ie: date of purchase, Reference Number and your previous Serial Number (if you still have your registration email, attach a copy) - they will then generate an "Unlock Key", with instructions on how to use it (you may have noticed that tab in the registration window).

Please let me know if this works.

Regards,

SpySentinel

Ad-Aware 2007/2008 Beta Team

The problem that you are experiencing is that the new registration system has noticed that your configuration has changed - this happens both with new systems or hardware upgrades to an existing one (if you are forever tinkering around with your PC, this process will become a bit of a pain).

Hi. First-time poster here.

Apparantly this happens if you connect or disconnect an external hard-drive too. Whenever I disconnect my Seagate Freeagent Pro (using E-SATA) Ad-aware is no longer registered and my hardware fingerprint has changed. Technically Lavasoft's hardware fingerprint verification works, but from a user-aspect this is a bug or badly planned design-feature. I havent checked if connecting the drive to a USB-port changes the fingerprint to a different value. Maybe it treats an E-SATA device as an internal SATA-drive, but regardless of that, adding or removing hard-drives should never affect the fingerprint unless you are replacing the system drive. I reported this through "contact support" as soon as I saw it because I was confused to say the least.

I'll report here when I get a reply. ;)

I'll report here when I get a reply. :D

Unfortunately, they didnt really read my message and just replied with a standard "Your registration have been reset" answer ;)

Sorry if this is a little bit off topic, but I find it interesting that Shadow=ASP= is having issues with an external drive changing the hardware fingerprint ;) I have not had the same experience. AdAware recognizes my system with the removable drive connected or disconnected. Doesn't seem to matter if I disconnect it from the USB port or not. It could be that it does change the hardware fingerprint on my system, but AdAware doesn't have a problem with it.

Was your external drive connected to the system and turned on when you installed AdAware and entered your licence info Shadow=ASP=? I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but my external drive was up and running when I installed AdAware, perhaps that has something to do with it not causing the same problem here, I can't think of any other reason why it is working fine for me but is giving you grief :)

Edited by lynz

Was your external drive connected to the system and turned on when you installed AdAware and entered your licence info Shadow=ASP=?

Yes. Yesterday was the first time I disconnected it.

hum I too have a usb hdd and it doesn't affect the finger print

However I notice that Shadow=ASP= said he uses E-Sata which is a very diffrent connection method to usb. I reckon that this is more lickly the cause of the problem.

Yes, that would be his problem. I have one USB hard drive connected to each PC for back up and have no problems if I remove them.

Welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum

The problem that you are experiencing is that the new registration system has noticed that your configuration has changed - this happens both with new systems or hardware upgrades to an existing one (if you are forever tinkering around with your PC, this process will become a bit of a pain). It is part of the system designed to stop piracy, which was quite prevalent with Ad-Aware SE Plus/Pro.

Open Ad-Aware and in the "License Status" panel, click on 'Upgrade" - in the registration window is a "Hardware Fingerprint".

You will need to contact Support, giving them this fingerprint and as much data as possible - ie: date of purchase, Reference Number and your previous Serial Number (if you still have your registration email, attach a copy) - they will then generate an "Unlock Key", with instructions on how to use it (you may have noticed that tab in the registration window).

Please let me know if this works.

Regards,

SpySentinel

Ad-Aware 2007/2008 Beta Team

I downloaded ad-aware on my linux laptop at work for my desktop computer at home and when I went to register I got the fingerprint error. And when I tried to do the upgrade option it was not there just register, which I have never done. Is there anyway to contact customer service to reset my account or something.

hello, used the ad-aware 2008 on the old laptop, sold the old and bought a new laptop, have the right, sent a letter with all the data in support of 10 July, still no answer, no respect for customers!

Edited: No patience????????????

Edited by Pierre67
Added edit.

For users saying that the fingerprint is not affected by USB drive, could you give informations about your drive as here with a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200, this is not the case! ....It is an USB 320GB and the fingerprint change when it is connected or not.

Best regards.

Francis

Sign in to follow this