Sign in to follow this  
StevieP

Ad-Aware 2007 and 2008 Freezing During Full Scans

I'm having problems where during a full scan the scan stops progressing and freezes while in "scanning inside archives". I have to shutdown the scan using task manager. Sometimes the system has to be shutdown since it gets locked up. All Smart scans run to completion each time.

I started having this problem with AAW 2007 and replacing it with AAW 2008 did not solve the problem. I've tried all suggestions found in your forum. I have not yet installed Win XP SP3. I have installed the Express version of Visual Studio C++ and C# which are the only major piece of software I've recently added.

The latest updates have NOT solved the freeze issue. I'm at version 0089.000.

Thanks,

StevieP

Hi StevieP,

A few users have had this problem and it seems to have something to do with old files from AdAware SE or 2007 left on the system or else as a result of the 2008 download being corrupt.

I am going to cut and paste some instructions I gave to another user to uninstall AdAware, clean his system up a bit and then download and re-install Adaware. If you have not followed these steps- with your security sytem disabled during the download and the install- then I want you to follow these steps and we'll see if a clean install solves your problem too.

Sometimes the unistallers in Windows don't get rid of everything, you need to do a few other things to make sure all the old installation files are gone. First you need to uninstall AdAware so you can do a clean install, hopefully that will get things working.

Instead of the windows Add/Remove Programs try using the built-in uninstaller that comes with AdAware;

Start > All Programs > Lavasoft >Adaware >Uninstall AdAware

Next you need to download the MS windows installer clean up tool (it is a free download).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Run the tool and delete any entries it finds for Adaware or Lavasoft.

After it has removed all references to old installs on your computer you can finish cleaning things up.

Click Start > click run > type cleanmgr and hit enter> drive C> hit ok> then put a checkmark beside Temporary Files/Temporay Internet Files/ Recycle bin> Run

When that is finished, reboot your compter and do a windows search for any AdAware/ Lavasoft files that may have been left behind and delete them. If the search found anything you should reboot your computer again after deleting the files.

Now I want you to shut off your firewall/ security before you start the install, it can interfe with the download of AdAware or corrupt the files somehow. You can download AdAware 2008 again and save the file to your desktop;

http://lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php

Run the installer from your desktop (be sure you are using an account with administrator rights) then let AdAware do it's software and definition file updates (this may take a bit of time, I'm not sure what the current definition file number is, but the program version is 7.1.0.10). When it has finished updating, shut the program down, restart it then run a scan and see if it works. If you have no problem scanning then go ahead and turn your security back on and scan again, just to be sure it isn't having any effect on AdAware.

If you have already tried everything listed here then please post your log file and let us know what other security programs you have running-firewall, a/v scanners, ect. so someone can help you figure out what the problem is. Are you running sp2 with xp? :)

I'm having problems where during a full scan the scan stops progressing and freezes while in "scanning inside archives". I have to shutdown the scan using task manager. Sometimes the system has to be shutdown since it gets locked up. All Smart scans run to completion each time.

I started having this problem with AAW 2007 and replacing it with AAW 2008 did not solve the problem. I've tried all suggestions found in your forum. I have not yet installed Win XP SP3. I have installed the Express version of Visual Studio C++ and C# which are the only major piece of software I've recently added.

The latest updates have NOT solved the freeze issue. I'm at version 0089.000.

Thanks,

StevieP

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi StevieP

Hi Lynz

I was also previously told to be sure that my computer was virus free. You might try the free version of Superantivirus, which in my case ONLY found 26 items that AdAware 2008 did not find, due to its freezing up all the time.

I will try that Microsoft removal tool myself Lynz, but even UNIDENTIFIED matters that Kaspersky 7.0 antivirus skipped over, were snagged by the free version of Superantivirus, which I never heard of before seeing it mentioned elsewhere in these posts.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi StevieP

Hi Lynz

I was also previously told to be sure that my computer was virus free. You might try the free version of Superantivirus, which in my case ONLY found 26 items that AdAware 2008 did not find, due to its freezing up all the time.

I will try that Microsoft removal tool myself Lynz, but even UNIDENTIFIED matters that Kaspersky 7.0 antivirus skipped over, were snagged by the free version of Superantivirus, which I never heard of before seeing it mentioned elsewhere in these posts.

--------------------------------------------------------

OK the Microsoft clean up removal tool only found current software, so nada there.

Superantispyware found 23 threats consisting of:

1. Adaware tracking cookies

2. Rogue.AntiSpyBoss - Fake Threats

3. Unclassified, Unknown Origin

The scan takes from 25 to 60 minutes to run, but you can see it moving along and it does not freeze.

Even after running that scan, Adaware 2008 appeared to stall, though it takes less time, but NOWHERE as little time as did Adaware SE Personal, which was highly effective and always found cookies especially that Spyware Doctor ignorred.

As for what I have on the Pentium, its Kaspersky 7.0 antivirus, which did NOT correctly injstall until I removed both Spyware Doctor and Adaware products. Once installed, I was able to reinstall the free ed of Spyware Doctor and both seemed to run without conflict, though Kaspersky claims they won't.

I had removed Kaspersky to try BitDefender, which scanned the computer much faster than Kaspersky and had both live telephone and chat support, which Kaspersky doesn't and if I have any more issues with Kaspersky, it will be back to BitDefender again. I am not using any of the advanced features of Kaspersky to avoid conflicts with the anti-spyware products advanced features, which I have minimized.

Brucerealtor

Edited by Pierre67
Munched email address

Lynz,

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling AdAware2008 in the manner you described. I downloaded the MS windows installer clean up tool and ran it. It found no trace of any Lavasoft installation. My NIS2008 was disabled - all security features - during the install and also during the scan.

I'm still having the freeze problem during a full scan problem. Smart scans continue to work.

As already stated I have Norton Internet Security 2008 installed as well as the freeware version of SpyBot S&D version 1.5.2.20. My Windows XP Professional system has SP2 installed. I've held off installing SP3 for now. My processor type is an AMD Athlon Thunderbird running at 1.3GHz. I have 768MB of RAM installed. Thanks for the help so far.

Hi StevieP,

A few users have had this problem and it seems to have something to do with old files from AdAware SE or 2007 left on the system or else as a result of the 2008 download being corrupt.

I am going to cut and paste some instructions I gave to another user to uninstall AdAware, clean his system up a bit and then download and re-install Adaware. If you have not followed these steps- with your security sytem disabled during the download and the install- then I want you to follow these steps and we'll see if a clean install solves your problem too.

Sometimes the unistallers in Windows don't get rid of everything, you need to do a few other things to make sure all the old installation files are gone. First you need to uninstall AdAware so you can do a clean install, hopefully that will get things working.

Instead of the windows Add/Remove Programs try using the built-in uninstaller that comes with AdAware;

Start > All Programs > Lavasoft >Adaware >Uninstall AdAware

Next you need to download the MS windows installer clean up tool (it is a free download).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Run the tool and delete any entries it finds for Adaware or Lavasoft.

After it has removed all references to old installs on your computer you can finish cleaning things up.

Click Start > click run > type cleanmgr and hit enter> drive C> hit ok> then put a checkmark beside Temporary Files/Temporay Internet Files/ Recycle bin> Run

When that is finished, reboot your compter and do a windows search for any AdAware/ Lavasoft files that may have been left behind and delete them. If the search found anything you should reboot your computer again after deleting the files.

Now I want you to shut off your firewall/ security before you start the install, it can interfe with the download of AdAware or corrupt the files somehow. You can download AdAware 2008 again and save the file to your desktop;

http://lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php

Run the installer from your desktop (be sure you are using an account with administrator rights) then let AdAware do it's software and definition file updates (this may take a bit of time, I'm not sure what the current definition file number is, but the program version is 7.1.0.10). When it has finished updating, shut the program down, restart it then run a scan and see if it works. If you have no problem scanning then go ahead and turn your security back on and scan again, just to be sure it isn't having any effect on AdAware.

If you have already tried everything listed here then please post your log file and let us know what other security programs you have running-firewall, a/v scanners, ect. so someone can help you figure out what the problem is. Are you running sp2 with xp? :)

Sign in to follow this