Sign in to follow this  
GSi-R

GSi-R own

Wow, almost 6 hours.!

So did it appear to freeze at all during this time? Im starting to think maybe some files which are scanned maybe taking a long time, resulting in possibly people thinking its frozen when its not if you know what I mean?

Here are another couple of screen shots. Note it is scanning restore points (that what takes all the time) and usage of resources by Ad-Aware.

May make sense now.

I see, cheers for the screenshots.!

Well, i ran my second successful full scan last night, and took 1 hour 35 minutes.

If it appears to freeze again, I will leave it, and see if it continues.

The 'nprotect' folder actually belongs to Norton System Works with anti-virus. Mine is a leftover from when I had Norton installed early 2004 but removed soon thereafter. Obviously it was NOT an clean removal. The actual folder is located at c:\recycler\nprotect and it contains all the deleted files removed by Norton. Refer to this link.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunse...src=bar_sch_nam

Just updated definitions to 0100, and about to run my 5th full scan.

Will keep you guys posted.!

1 hour 10 minutes, and the 5th full scan was successful with definition 0100 :D

Blimey - you're gonna wear a groove into your poor old HD at this rate, GSi-R - it'll look like a vinyl 45... ;)

Big congrats though...looks like all's well chez vous.

Many thanks.;) I thought that I would update progress here so to help others too. As I have been around here for such a little while, and got so much help from others, its my way of putting something back into the forums.

6th full scan completed successfully, with definition file 0101.

:unsure:

I'm really glad I came across your thread. I have also been having this problem with AdAware 2008 free version, i.e. it appears to freeze on a full scan at: Deep Scanning Registry; CLSID\{FEA4300C etc}; InprocServer32.

I originally followed the updatelinks from 2007 version, when prompted by LavaSoft. When I ran the full scan and it appeared to freeze I uninstalled it (using the LavaSoft Uninstaller) and then downloaded from Download.com and reinstalled it. I still get the freezing on full scan but the Smart Scan seems to work ok.

I have followed your thread but have got confused about how to solve this problem.

I'm no expert and so I would appreciate a simple guide to solving this. I also run Symantect Norton Internet Security (2008 version). I have never come across a problem of running the two software packages (Norton and Adaware) on the same computer before.

Many thanks

Tim

Hi Tim, welcome to the forums! I do not have Norton, so can't help with regards to that. i have AVG 8, and SpyBot, as well as Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 free.

Firstly, uninstall Ad-Aware, then delete the lavasoft folders in Program files, and Program data (Vista only).

Then run cCleaner (Free downloaded registry cleaner tool)

Reboot pc/laptop

Then, download Ad-Aware from here...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&...iDLiUp7NqzWinhA

Install it. Let it install the 5 default downloads.

Then once finished, close the application.

Launch it again, and then click web update, and update its definitions.

Then run a full scan, and let us know how you get on.

Edited by GSi-R

FYI, deleted the 'nprotect' folder (266MB) and my full scan dropped to 1:52:00 and scanned 321321 objects. Also read a post by LS Digger Barnes regarding scanning times.

Also read

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=19583

for all those who have Zone Alarm installed.

Just an update on my progress, and ongoing testing. I have updated my definitions to 102, and started a full scan 47 minutes ago, and it appears to be frozen, it has not moved in the last ten minutes. I will leave it for a while longer, in the hope that it continues.

Its frozen at Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Accessories

Edited by GSi-R

Right, I have uninstalled it, and removed all related installation, and running files by Lavasoft.

Ran cCleaner

Installed Ad-Aware2008 once more.

Running a full scan now.

Just to add, my Vista laptop has downloaded Windows updates inbetween the last full successful. I wonder if its these that caused this particular freeze.

Right, I have uninstalled it, and removed all related installation, and running files by Lavasoft.

Ran cCleaner

Installed Ad-Aware2008 once more.

Running a full scan now.

Just to add, my Vista laptop has downloaded Windows updates inbetween the last full successful. I wonder if its these that caused this particular freeze.

If it hangs in the future, don't be so quick to uninstall it. I have scans hang after a download, then I'll do a restart or run a different type scan and it will start working again. If it continues to freeze wait for the next big download and it will start working again. I think a maybe there's a little corruption sometimes in the update's. Remember its all 1's and 0's, imagine a word changing just a by one letter or a letter being left out, this could a hang during a scan. I don't know if this correct, but its how I imagine it. I'm not a programmer, so don't take that opinion as fact.

Also, now that its been scanning if it starts hanging, look to see between scans if it hangs in the same place each time. Something could be wrong with that file or if it hangs in different places you know it is probably the scanner.

I waited for over an hour, and it was still frozen at the same place. If it should freeze again, I will wait a little longer, and report my findings.

When some of the large files are being scanned, it makes it look like it's frozen, but if it doesn't move within 5 minutes max 10, then its froze.

As posted on other thread here already, I'm having the same InProcServer32 Deep Registry scan freeze

when doung a Full Scan. Only on my Vista machine. Not on either my XP Home nor my XP Pro machine.

And all 3 were installed from the same downloaded file so I'd say that isn't an issue.

I've also tried every suggestion here and on a few other threads...no luck.

Looks like it's time to stop using Ad-Aware on my Vista machine and find another solution.

Hi Tim, welcome to the forums! I do not have Norton, so can't help with regards to that. i have AVG 8, and SpyBot, as well as Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 free.

Firstly, uninstall Ad-Aware, then delete the lavasoft folders in Program files, and Program data (Vista only).

Then run cCleaner (Free downloaded registry cleaner tool)

Reboot pc/laptop

Then, download Ad-Aware from here...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&...iDLiUp7NqzWinhA

Install it. Let it install the 5 default downloads.

Then once finished, close the application.

Launch it again, and then click web update, and update its definitions.

Then run a full scan, and let us know how you get on.

Dear GSi-R

I did what you suggested but it froze again at more or less the same place on the full scan. However it does get through a smart scan. So until there is some sort of fix I will just leave it and run smart scan. Later on I'll delete it and re-install it and see if somehow this problem has been fixed in the meantime.

Thanks again

Tim

Sign in to follow this