Sign in to follow this  
pluginexe

Smart Scan on Windows Startup taking too long

Hi,

I have recently upgraded from 2007 Plus to 2008 Plus. All is apparently working successfully, except the smart scan performed on Windows startup is taking nearly two hours to run compared to the five minutes under 2007.

Is this to be expected?

I have attached my SysInfo report.

cheers,

Phil

hi Phil,

in short yes it probably is.

With 2008 you now have virus scanning included. Whereas with 2007 you didnt. So 2008 now scans more files for more threats and also looks for files that exhibit virus like behaviour.

You can change the scan at windows start up setting to a quick scan, which scans only common locations by going to

Settings > Auto Scans > Scan on windows start up > tick smart scan

Also if you want faster scans generally, there are several things you can do to speed it up.

For example go to Settings > Scanning > Tick 'Skip Files Larger than...'

> Cross 'Scan for MRU's'

The two things are harmless.

You can also disable the anti-virus engine, by crossing 'Activate Extended anti-virus engine' and 'Use heuristics'. But be aware that ad-aware would no longer scan for viruses or virus like behaviour in these circumstances.

hope that helps,

casey

Hi Casey,

thanks for this - most appreciated. I will follow those instructions (although I have just spotted that you refer to just doing a Smart Scan - which is all I currently do!) and probably will disable the antivrus for the moment as I have TrendMicro installed.

cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Wakely

Sign in to follow this