Sign in to follow this  
dudester

Ad-Watch Notifications Queued

Hi,

I have just bought the PRO-ADAWARE version as I was being bombarded by ad pop-ups.

I have run a full scan, removed many nasties and it seems to have stopped them.

But now, every time I use IE I get Ad-watch Registry Change Notification warnings asking if I want to Allow or Block. I have no idea so I have just been blocking them all but there are well over 1000!

Every time I click block, the queued list increases by around 10!

Am I supposed to be allowing all of these....?

Its always the process "iexplore.exe' & Google toolbar

Thanks.

Hi dudester,

There are a couple of things you can do, go to AdWatch and click on RegShield. and stop the notifications for IE. Just click on IE and the green checkmark will change to a red X.

I would not reccomend you leave the notifications turned off though, just until you understand the program better and know what to allow and what to block on the users list.

You could also allow Internet Explorer and whatever other programs it is notifying you about, as long as you know they are safe.

First you need to Click on Adwatch to open it, then click RegShield and Trusted Programs. Put a green checkmark beside the program that is causing the flurry of pop-up warnings. Now go to settings and check Use Trusted Program List and it will stop warning you about the items you have allowed.

Let me know if that helps ^_^

Edited by lynz

iexplore.exe' you can allow that, google toolbar-Do you use that? if so, then allow

This is all part of learning your system and a more advanced alert system, if you want it to stop aleting you got to the trusted programs in the reg shield and change those to allow. You can set it to block if you want to permantly block.

You need to go to your help file in located in adaware and click on the ?question mark to right side and learn your new functions and what they mean. There are posts were people have asked almost evry question you are unsure about. take some time and read them.

Hope you enjoy your pro.

Its caught lvl10 virus for me a few days ago and tai 5 yesterday that I accidently let through. Its done more ,but thats just recently.

just read lynz's we were posting at the same time,lol, she's absolutely right

Edited by Txnnok

I have the same question about Ad-Watch except that I usually use Firefox but sometimes IE. I installed Pro today and I have 101 notifications queued so far.

Q1 -What is the best way to investigate a specific process. For example, the process winlogon.exe. I googled that name and found that the dll form is good and the exe form is bad. I have the exe. But there seems to be contradictory opinions on web pages and many of the pages are selling.

Q2 - Does Lavasoft have a list of good/bad processes?

Q3 - Does anyone have an opinion about what are the best sources of data and which to trust and which to not-trust.

Advice will be appreciated,

Stan Hilliard

Edited by StanH

There is no list. This is an advanced function for experienced users. Every user uses different programs and wants this function set in different manners. One good thing is, if you want to use it like it is meant, you become more knowledgeable about your computer's programs. The ieuser.exe and the iexplore.exe can be set to allow without much worry, but if unknown change occurs to to INTERNET explorer that you didn't do, you will not know about it. I am willing to put mine on allow, so I am not bombarded with reg changes every time I open or close IE. The programs I know that are safe I set to "allow", but the rest I leave on "not set".

Look at my trusted programs list and this is just the first ones. Does your program list contain the same programs? That is what I mean, I'm sure lynz's looks completely different. There will only be a few common programs with each user. LS can't keep a list of this stuff, they just give you the tools to monitor programs and make decisions yourself. If you discover an infection maybe you will want to set all of them to "not set" and see if some programs are not behaving properly.

You can also change how you are notified and wither you just want to block or allow everything. Read the help log, in Ad-Aware(click the ? mark), it contains some information about this tool.

Goodluck

post-46766-1213308432.jpg

Thanks for all the responses...

But surely there is a list of core windows programs which should be allowed, most people have no idea what should be blocked and what shouldnt, googling does not help at all!

After I set iexplorer.ese to allow my Home page keeps getting hijacked and reset by runonce, its driving me crazey, I set it back to google but it only lasts a few browses and then gets hijacked again.

Nope, sorry. I do a little checking later maybe I can figure out how runonce is changing it. Have you looked into getting a program that change's your system's default settings for IE? Glarysoft offers an ad free multitool program that let's you change every aspect of IE parameter's(search,hompage) and there's a bunch. I don't remember all of them I haven't used it in about a year.

Sound more like you have a hijack bug, since you can't keep what you changed it to. You have turned on all the settings for adaware and ran a scan.

Have you changed your browser setting in adaware and also change your settings like mine and you'll be about as protected as you can get with adaware. If you want leave the skip files larger than at the default setting.

post-46766-1213311541.jpg post-46766-1213311556.jpg

post-46766-1213311577.jpg post-46766-1213311589.jpg

I've busted a couple a virus'on mine the last week with these settings. The write protect system files might keep the browser setting from being changed back. (don't know)

I am trying to interpret the notifications and Ad-Watch status windows.

After booting the PC, the Notifications window says 7 notifications queued. The first is cisvc.exe (1720).

Q1- What does the (1720) meam?

Q2 - The Ad-Watch status "total events"=4 and RegShield=4. Why don't they equal the notifications (7)?

Q3 - If I allow or deny cisvc.exe to change HKLM SOFTWARE\Classes\.com, will that be a one time decision? Will Ad-Watch remember that same decision the future or will it ask again next time?

Q4 - How can I look at all 7 notifications without making decisions and then get back to the current queue.

Q5 - When I minimized Ad-Watch and right clicked its icon "lock the taskbar" was checked. Why did Ad-Watch lock the taskbar?

Edited by StanH

Sign in to follow this