Sign in to follow this  
English Teacher

Ad-Aware 2008 nice but....

Hi,

I've recently update to the 2008 version 7.1.0.10 of Ad-Aware.

My problem is that I can not run 2008 in safe mode and this is a prob as some spyware can't be detected unless in safe mode.

Yes I have gone into settings and autoscans and checked the Safe Mode box.

I am running Windows XP Pro Sp2 512 RAM

Anti Virus : AVG 7.5 (as 8.0 is still unstable)

Anti Spy : AVG AS, Spyware Blaster, Spybot 1.4 (again because it doesn't immunize properly and IMHO is a beta), Ad-Aware 2008 and Wormguard

Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro

I thank you in advance.

The setting for safe mode in adaware is for a safe mode for the program. It asks you before it does anything like (remove malware)is the meaning of safe mode. Looke in the help file of adaware, it is the ? mark on the top right hand side.

As for running adaware in safe mode, I don't think you can. I had another poster have a similar as yours and was trying to run in safe mode and couldn't. So, I don't think adaware is designed to.

I never heard of detection programs finding them easier in safe mode, but it's suppose to remove them easier. This is because the program that are running the bugs are shut down. Programs or you can not delete or change an open or used file. Have you ever uninstalled a program and had to shut it down first? Thats the same principle.

I'll do some checking about running in computer safe mode, check back in a few days.

Hope this helps

The setting for safe mode in adaware is for a safe mode for the program. It asks you before it does anything like (remove malware)is the meaning of safe mode. Looke in the help file of adaware, it is the ? mark on the top right hand side.

As for running adaware in safe mode, I don't think you can. I had another poster have a similar as yours and was trying to run in safe mode and couldn't. So, I don't think adaware is designed to.

I never heard of detection programs finding them easier in safe mode, but it's suppose to remove them easier. This is because the program that are running the bugs are shut down. Programs or you can not delete or change an open or used file. Have you ever uninstalled a program and had to shut it down first? Thats the same principle.

I'll do some checking about running in computer safe mode, check back in a few days.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your quick reply and help.

Upto now, I have always been able to run Ad-Aware in safe mode so what has happened or why I can't I don't know.....In fact, as you have already stated, others have said the same thing.

As for running Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs in safe mode it is (according to the AVG forum and other security forums) that same malware can hide from security programs when they are running ie the computer is in normal mode. However, when you start the computer in safe mode because the comp only loads the very basic things, the malware doesn't start and hence it can't hide because it is not active.

Therefore deleting (as you have already said) and finding is a lot easier.

Anyway I am also looking for other solutions as well. Once again thanks for your time!!

Hello,

I don't know if this is going to work but you can try this once in safe mode press the windows button together with r now type services.msc press enter. Now left click on Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service and press on start. Try now to start Ad-aware again.

Kind regards,

Niels

Edited by Nielsvds

Sign in to follow this