Sign in to follow this  
gelert

I thought that this bug had been fixed...?

I've just downloaded and installed Definition File #0094, and associated AntiVirus updates at the same time.

AdWatch unloaded, but then couldn't / wouldn't reload, and I got this pop-up:

post-33150-1214385801.jpg

I tried to close AdWatch via Task Manager - but after scary warnings about potential system instability if I did so, I aborted that idea.

I tried just restarting AdWatch from the Desktop Icon, and got this:

post-33150-1214385936.jpg

Ref: the above thumbnail: In Windows task Manager, AdWatch isn't running at the usual 16,104K (at least, that's what it's now at, after a PC reboot).

No AdWatch Icon in the taskbar.

Etc, etc.

I had to reboot the PC to get AdWatch back to status.

This was a bug that a few of us endured earlier in release. But I thought that it had been fixed...? :unsure:

Anybody else had this lately...?

BTW: As a Plus User, I'm going to email LS Support later, and point them towards this thread.

Join the club. I had the same problem on my desktop running XP Home SP3. (Only one application can run)

But trying to update my laptop I had to do 2 restarts before I had any joy at all. It told me I had no internet connection but FF and IE ran without a problem. Laptop runs XP Home SP3 as well.

I think it was caused by either the antivir1.vdf or antivir2.vdf as they were the only files updates. The Def file had already updated to 0094.

I to have same problems when downloading antivirus updates. It appears that the antivirus definitions adv1 &2 which create the problem. When this happens I close Adwatch via Task Manager and then click on the AdWatch icon to restart it

DerekS

But trying to update my laptop I had to do 2 restarts before I had any joy at all. It told me I had no internet connection but FF and IE ran without a problem. Laptop runs XP Home SP3 as well.

Same here :unsure:

Failed to update yesterday, kept getting nowhere with it. But has updated today fine.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, tried to update again, but error no connection. Have seen several people reporting this...

Edited by casey_boy

Same here :unsure:

Failed to update yesterday, kept getting nowhere with it. But has updated today fine.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, tried to update again, but error no connection. Have seen several people reporting this...

Back on topic - AdWatch not reloading / rebooting properly:

My email to LavaSoft support:

[email protected] wrote:

Subject: AdWatch reloading problem after AV Updates

Program: Ad-Aware 2008 Plus

Version:

Operating System: Windows XP

Description

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi LS Support,

There seems to be an issue with AdWatch reloading, after an AntiVirus update.

The update downloads, and AdWatch is unloaded during the update installation.

But AdWatch isn't restarted properly after this.

I have started a thread in the support forum about this: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php showtopic=19348

It has some thumbnails attached which show the error, plus a full list of my OS etc, and a fuller explanaition from myself and also from other users.

Could you confirm that this is a recognised bug...?

Thanks,

xxxxxxxxxx (aka gelert)

Reply from LS Support:

Thank you for the email.

I haven't heard of this problems before. I have forwarded the email and link to our development department, they will hopefully resolve this as soon as they can.

Kind Regards,

Alex - Lavasoft Support

Watch this space... :D

No...this bug is still not fixed.

AdWatch has just unloaded during AV2 & AV3 updates, and has once again failed to reload:

post-33150-1214989879.jpg

Note the Definitions Status: 02/07/2008 #0098

I've also got this:

post-33150-1214992553.jpg

AdWatch Icon NFG...it doesn't do anything - no restore, no close, no nuffin'...!

Windows Task Manager AdWatch entry is at 1,544K*...not enough to be doing anything useful, but AdWatch Realtime Monitor claims to be ON in AdAware System Protection Status screen...NOT TRUE.

Oh well - I guess that my weekly PC reboot has been brought forward by a day... :P

No further news from LS Support about this bug since their last reply 25th June either.

*edit* This is what AdWatch currently consumes after todays PC reboot and AdWatch loaded & running:

post-33150-1214996008.jpg

And in a previous post, I noted that AdWatch was running at 16,104K, immediately after another PC reboot...

So 1,544K* is way out of the ball-park...

*sigh*

Edited by gelert

There is a bug when it does a AV2 update. I have reported it to LS.

There is a bug when it does a AV2 update. I have reported it to LS.

Hi Pierre,

I suspect that you're right by narrowing-it down to AV2. I've just had an AV3 update + install with no problems; and if I remember correctly, AV1 updates also install without issues.

Latest reply from Alex @ LS:

Hi xxxxx.

The team has it on the list of bugs but they have a few other more serious bugs that they must take care of first.

Please keep updated and you will receive the fix as soon as it is released.

Kind Regards,

Alex - Lavasoft Support

So there it is.

I've PM'd LS Erin about keeping the "pinned: Bug update" topic, er, updated with progress about this bug and also a couple of others.

However, Erin needs input from LS's QA department.

Quote Erin: "I'll follow-up on this with our Quality Assurance department here at Lavasoft in order to get a full, revised list and update my earlier post."

Ciao.

Thanks for the reply, gelert. I am now chasing hangups in scanning. There are a lot of persons having them (me as well).

Latest reply from Alex @ LS:

Hi xxxxx.

The team has it on the list of bugs but they have a few other more serious bugs that they must take care of first.

Please keep updated and you will receive the fix as soon as it is released.

Kind Regards,

Alex - Lavasoft Support

So there it is.

I've PM'd LS Erin about keeping the "pinned: Bug update" topic, er, updated with progress about this bug and also a couple of others.

However, Erin needs input from LS's QA department.

Quote Erin: "I'll follow-up on this with our Quality Assurance department here at Lavasoft in order to get a full, revised list and update my earlier post."

I'm starting to get irked now.

No action on these issues.

No update of the "pinned: Bug update" topic.

And today my heart sank went I saw the AV2 update downloading...I just knew what was going to follow:

post-33150-1215690540.jpg

And then after the necessary (but unnecessary!) reboot, I got this...

post-33150-1215690585.jpg

...which necessitated a second unnecessary reboot... ;):lol: :angry: :angry: :angry:

OK - so they're NOT Show-Stoppers.

But I'm getting fed-up with the lack of action, let alone the lack of urgency or even of recognition that these faults in the program exist.

CheckPoint ZoneAlarm have just converted a complete disaster into a success story, in less than 36 hours...see here.

Lavasoft have failed to implement a fix for this AdWatch versus AV2 Update issue since launch back in May and identification of the bug very shortly afterwards.

No fix either for missing AutoScan Icon when "update before scan" is enabled...see here.

And no mention of these two bugs, or this third bug in the "pinned: Bug update" topic.

Rant over.

*edit* Broken link for third bug - link info changed from "topic" to "Post"

Edited by gelert

I'm starting to get irked now.

No action on these issues.

No update of the "pinned: Bug update" topic.

And today my heart sank went I saw the AV2 update downloading...I just knew what was going to follow:

post-33150-1215690540.jpg

And then after the necessary (but unnecessary!) reboot, I got this...

post-33150-1215690585.jpg

...which necessitated a second unnecessary reboot... :)

OK - so they're NOT Show-Stoppers.

But I'm getting fed-up with the lack of action, let alone the lack of urgency or even of recognition that these faults in the program exist.

CheckPoint ZoneAlarm have just converted a complete disaster into a success story, in less than 36 hours...see here.

Lavasoft have failed to implement a fix for this AdWatch versus AV2 Update issue since launch back in May and identification of the bug very shortly afterwards.

No fix either for missing AutoScan Icon when "update before scan" is enabled...see here.

And no mention of these two bugs, or this third bug in the "pinned: Bug update" topic.

Rant over.

*edit* Broken link for third bug - link info changed from "topic" to "Post"

And now I'm seriously getting miffed...

"Update Definitions File before scanning" does exactly what it says on the tin - it only checks for a Definitions File update...aside from killing the "Scan In Progress" icon in the taskbar during an AutoScan... :rolleyes:

But the AntiVirus updates AV1 or AV2 or AV3 STILL have to be done manually...and as these are updated more frequently than the Definitions File, I am sort of led to ask the question "what's the point of the update Defs before scanning" option...?

Second problem - again - AV2 update once again gave me the grief of AdWatch unloading but failing to re-load.

PLUS the problem, once again, of trashing my taskbar icons, namely AVG 7.5, and Traytools.exe... :rolleyes:

I've learnt to add a System Restore Point before updating AdAware 2008 - and so I managed to get everything back.

But WHY should I have to jump through hoops, just to update various parts of the program...?

THIS is the very real reason why I haven't updated the other two PCs from SE to AAW 2008.

I know that Lavasoft are busy with an imminent release of an AntiVirus platform.

But I'm getting the very real impression that the existing AAW 2008 bugs have been totally de-prioritised...and that's NFG as far as I'm concerned... :angry:

Edited by gelert

"Update Definitions File before scanning" does exactly what it says on the tin - it only checks for a Definitions File update...aside from killing the "Scan In Progress" icon in the taskbar during an AutoScan... rolleyes.gif

But the AntiVirus updates AV1 or AV2 or AV3 STILL have to be done manually...and as these are updated more frequently than the Definitions File, I am sort of led to ask the question "what's the point of the update Defs before scanning" option...?

The reason that there are two separate downloads is that the definitions files are from lavasoft and the anti-virus are avira (the company behind the anti-virus scanning part of the program). So lavasoft don't actually release the updates to anti-virus themselves. I agree though, they should *somehow* merge them together.

The option is there for users of the free program who will only recieve def updates and not anti-virus updates, however, I also agree it needs updating as it is a legacy option from 2007 which did not include anti-virus updates.

hope that sheds some light on your issues, but just to let you know, I do agree with you,

Casey

Sign in to follow this