Sign in to follow this  
kdw220

Full Scan problem with Ad Aware 2008

Hello Raziel, and thank you for your rapid response.

I unchecked 'Deep Archive Scanning', saved the setting and tried a new full scan. After 20 seconds, the scan froze in the Current section: Deep scanning Registry, Current path and Current object also were frozen and the Scan time continued to run - after 30 minutes, still no change.

JB

That's exactly where mine freezes. I had to send a Hijack this log in, but I haven't gotten a reply yet, so I feel your pain.

Kim

Hi GSI-R,

I have a Hijack this log and that file you mentioned is not on the log. I too, have the scan freezing issue.

Kim( kdw220)

Hi JB,

I got mine working, here's how, I had Norton's systemwork on my computer, but I didn't really use it since I have Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 on it also. TXN I can't remember the rest of his logon name, looked at my Hijack This log and saw the NProtect. He had me uninstall the Norton's, run C-Cleaner to make sure I got rid of all traces of Norton's, restart my computer, and run a full scan. It worked! I've run two full scans to make sure it was working.

So if you have Norton's on your computer, that might be the problem. I think AVG causes some problems also. Hope this helps,

Kim

Hi JB,

I got mine working, here's how, I had Norton's systemwork on my computer, but I didn't really use it since I have Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 on it also. TXN I can't remember the rest of his logon name, looked at my Hijack This log and saw the NProtect. He had me uninstall the Norton's, run C-Cleaner to make sure I got rid of all traces of Norton's, restart my computer, and run a full scan. It worked! I've run two full scans to make sure it was working.

So if you have Norton's on your computer, that might be the problem. I think AVG causes some problems also. Hope this helps,

Kim

Kim,

So I have to uninstall my Norton Internet Security to get Adaware 2008 to work? Were you able to reinstall your Norton product and then get Adaware to run a full scan?

I have the same problem as do many where the scan freezes when doing a full scan. I have tried all the other remedies with no success. If I have to choose between the Adaware 2008 working or having NIS 2008 installed I would of course keep the latter.

Thanks,

StevieP

Hi StevieP,

I hope that's not the choice you have to make. I didn't put the Norton Systemworks back on because I didn't use it. I switched to Trend Micro last year after my son's computer crashed because of Norton's. The guy who fixed his computer said it is hard uninstall Norton products and he prefers AVG or TRend Micro. I chose Trend Micro, and basically deactivated the virus scan on Systemworks. Now I've uninstalled it completely. I don't know what else to tell you, but if you need me, holler on a email.

Kim

ps the tech who helped me is TXNNOK

Hi,

Just installed Ad-Aware 2008.

Same problem:

Full scan always freezes during "Deep Scanning Registry". Always at a different point/entry; one time after 2845 objects, next time after 1795 objects, an so on. But until now, always at a InprocServer32/CLSID{} entry.

After killing Ad-Aware client, aawservice.exe keeps running and consumes 50% processor-time.

Restarting Ad-Aware client results in error-message "Core Engine busy".

After killing aawservice.exe (the service restarts automatically), I can run the Ad-Aware client.

JW

Same here, once again, so uninstalled Ad-Aware completely, and ran CCleaner, reinstalled AD-Aware, now running another full scan after downloading the latest definitions, which i had already done prior to the freeze.

I was really starting to think everything was fine with this after running several successful full scans over the last week or so, so when it froze today, you could say I was very sad.

I also suggest you reboot the O/S after installing any new software. It does wonders.

I did that also. Still running the full scan, not frozen yet, fingers crossed.

Full scan completed just over 1 hour.

Lets hope everything is ok from now on.

Hi,

Just installed Ad-Aware 2008.

Same problem:

Full scan always freezes during "Deep Scanning Registry". Always at a different point/entry; one time after 2845 objects, next time after 1795 objects, an so on. But until now, always at a InprocServer32/CLSID{} entry.

After killing Ad-Aware client, aawservice.exe keeps running and consumes 50% processor-time.

Restarting Ad-Aware client results in error-message "Core Engine busy".

After killing aawservice.exe (the service restarts automatically), I can run the Ad-Aware client.

JW

The scenario you describe is pretty much what happens to me ...it stops at InprocServer32 etc. I've uninstalled Ad-Aware, ran CCleaner, re-nstalled Ad-Aware (based on reading the post by GSi-R) but, I've not been successful and Ad-Aware is still stopping at the same points as before when I try a full scan. ...back to the drawing board for me. Thank you all for your input.

Just to update... After several attempts to fix "Full Scan" in my free version of "Ad-Aware 2008" I finally gave up. I thank all of you on the forum who tried to help me with this, and congrats to those of you who resolved the same problem along the way. I'll revisit this later as well, because I have been using Ad-Aware for several years and it has always proven to be a great product - my fix is out there somewhere.

In the interim, I've gone old school and reverted to an older version, Ad-Aware SE Personal, because (1) the full scan works without freezing and (2) about 3 MB of hard drive space Vs approximately 25 MB for the 2008 version.

For those of you who are interested, I downloaded the older version from here: http://www.oldapps.com/adaware.htm

Best of luck, and thanks again.

JB

Well, I thought I would give it one last try before i remove it, and wait for a new version, as Im now 100% there is a bug with this version.

Done absolutely every trick in the book, and tried every single recommendation on this site, and all to no avail. I have totally exhausted all avenues Im afraid.

i too, like many have been using Ad-Aware for several years, and It saddens me that this won't work correctly. Im no computer newbie either, so this is why i suspect a bug.

Well, I thought I would give it one last try before i remove it, and wait for a new version, as Im now 100% there is a bug with this version.

Done absolutely every trick in the book, and tried every single recommendation on this site, and all to no avail. I have totally exhausted all avenues Im afraid.

i too, like many have been using Ad-Aware for several years, and It saddens me that this won't work correctly. Im no computer newbie either, so this is why i suspect a bug.

I have to agree with you. Early on I suspected a bug in this version as well, but was hopeful that I was wrong. Too many of us seem to have the same common problem though for it not to be a bug.

As an alternative "fix" I posted a link to earlier versions of Ad-Aware. I ran a couple of successful full scans this morning with the old SE Personal version. Good luck, and let us know if you find a resolution to version 2008.

JB

I am trying to find all posts reporting freezing of scans.

All downloaded as word files and trying to find a common denominator.

No good so far.

Sorry.

Sign in to follow this