Sign in to follow this  
LiveLarge

After using 2007, and now 2008......

I absolutely loved AdAware 2007 and suggested it to many friends. I have always used the free version and have been very happy. After using 2008 and taking over an hour to complete a scan (compare to less than 20 minutes with 2007) I don't think I will be recommending it to anyone. I have a couple of other spyware scanners and a real time spyware blocker that will keep me clean. I will keep checking back and will occasionally update and try 2008, but until this problem is fixed I won't be recommending it to anyone. Does AdAware still support 2007? Can I get it anyware?

Thought I should post up some specs on my laptop.

Dell inspiron 1501

Processor- AMD Turion 64x2 Mobil Technology TL-58 1.9GHz

RAM- 2GB

Vista 32 bit

Edited by LiveLarge

Sorry to hear about your decision. But I must say that 2008 has an improved scanning engine and so does scan more thoroughly thus it takes longer.

AS for 2007, well what I gather from this Lavasoft post: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=19558 the 2007 version will soon be automatically upgraded to 2008. So no there will be no support for it.

Hope that clarifies,

Casey

I signed up for a 2 year subscription when it was version SE and then upgraded to 2007 and all seemed fine. Then along came 2008 and it has disappointed me greatly. It is now what I call bloatware. It took ages to download and after installing it immediately went home and downloaded 37 updates which took even longer to download than the 20Mb main file. It is big, slow and I am sure slows down some other computer functions and apps. Definition tables take about 6 minutes to download, and I have a cable broadband connection.

I am so disappointed I have uninstalled it and opted for a smaller and simpler program which does one thing and does it reasonably well. Lavasoft should go back to basics and not try to make Ad-Aware an all singin', all dancin' solution for every possible piece of junk likely to be encountered. Others who have tried this have usually buggered up a good system by producing a bloated piece of junk. You only have to look at what has just happened with AVG8.

Both Grisoft and Lavasoft should remember the KISS principle.... ;)

You only have to look at what has just happened with AVG8.

Both Grisoft and Lavasoft should remember the KISS principle.... :D

I agree with you Ross Herbert...

...and I also disagree. ;)

AVG v8.0 was and still is my worst nightmare, but I'm sure that they'll sort it out by December '08 (the cut-off for v7.5). And part of that nightmare is the "bloat" that seems to have occurred, plus the Link Scanner issue that has webmasters, globally, in a quite understandable rage.

However, AAW 2008 being bloated...? I cannot agree with you.

I still run SE Plus on two laptops until the GUI issues are sorted-out with AAW 2008 - my GF is pretty hopeless with working programs at the best of times, and she'll fall-over in a big way when e.g. AV2 Update kills AdWatch. She uses her lappy and mine, so I can't update those yet.

But on my desktop, I'm more than happy with AAW 2008 Plus versus SE plus, and in particular with: same or less scan time versus SE Plus; heuristic scan; auto-scan; auto-update; safe-mode.

I never liked AAW 2007, and I was vociferous about SE being superceded...but after a while I took the plunge and adopted AAW 2008. Yes, I've had quite a few issues with 2008, either unique or shared with a whole load of other members of this forum. But we've persevered and come out, not so much on top, as way ahead IMHO.

I'd urge you to reconsider and give AAW 2008 another try. The issues that you mention I'm sure are easy to narrow down with a little patience e.g. Defs Update speed might be a firewall issue or just unfortunate heavy traffic - both of these reasons have been featured in this forum.

Have a think about it - Txnnok is a bit of a wiz with all things Vista-based AAW 2008. And he's well patient...

All the best,

Gelert.

SNIP

Defs Update speed might be a firewall issue or just unfortunate heavy traffic - both of these reasons have been featured in this forum.

Have a think about it - Txnnok is a bit of a wiz with all things Vista-based AAW 2008. And he's well patient...

All the best,

Gelert.

Thanks for the input gelert - I can see you are a true optimist :)

Can anyone give me details of the port (or ports) to a allow in my router just in case it is that which is slowing the defs download?

I have disabled the firewall in my wireless modem so that is not the problem I am fairly sure.

Myself, I just cannot understand why they had to fiddle and fart around with something which was working reasonably bug free. Sure add some new bits testing one at a time, but not all at once - there is just too much chance to stuff things completely.

Thanks for the input gelert - I can see you are a true optimist :)

Can anyone give me details of the port (or ports) to a allow in my router just in case it is that which is slowing the defs download?

I have disabled the firewall in my wireless modem so that is not the problem I am fairly sure.

Myself, I just cannot understand why they had to fiddle and fart around with something which was working reasonably bug free. Sure add some new bits testing one at a time, but not all at once - there is just too much chance to stuff things completely.

Hi Ross Herbert,

The download mirror location is http://www.lavasoft.com/single/mirror_down....php?f=UdGW2BN1, which I obtained from http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/ by clicking onto the Ad-Aware 2008 icon top right-hand corner of the blog page.

Try pinging it maybe...?

As for ports - I openly admit to knowing naff-all about ports or VPN or DDNS or DMZ etc. But a quick look at my Linksys router shows that "Filter Internet NAT Redirection" is disabled (i.e. no filtering), and "IPSec Passthrough" + "PPTP Passthrough" + "L2TP Passthrough" are all enabled. Port 113 (ident) has filter enabled (i.e. port is blocked).

Probably this info is a complete "so what" irrelevancy, but there it is...

*edit* Just had a thought - under Web Update tab and Settings under that, there is an option to use a Proxy Address. This isn't relevant to your issue is it...?

Edited by gelert

Just ran AdAware '08 and completed a scan in 49 minutes. Much better than previous tries. I have had no problems what so ever with AdAware '08 other than the slow scan times. (KNOCK, KNOCK on wood....)

I just ran into this one, so give a day or two for the ports (got other projects going on). Good eye LiveLarge, I don't know why, but the scans do reduce in time after the initial scan and I think if you wait a few days before a scan, the scan time longer. This applies to both smart or full scans,intelligent scanning engines? nah lol

Edited by Txnnok
typo

Just a note on the discussions above:

Definitions update:

The slower update/download times of the definition file is due to the fact it has grown in size.

We have been increasing the rate of adding threats to detection this last year and this has of course increased the size of the file.

Implication: longer download/update times.

Customers of Ad-Aware Plus and Pro will also download virus definitions and the first update after activation will include the antivirus software modules.

This adds time to the download, of course. (Note: Anti-virus updates are never downloaded if you are using Ad-Aware Free).

Regarding slower scanning times:

After updating your software from Ad-Aware 2007 to 2008 the program will take longer time for the first scan you run. This relates to both Smart and Full scan.

After the initial scan, scanning times should decrease.

The scanning times may of course also relate to the number of threats in detection. The more stuff in detection that needs to be checked against, the longer time it takes. However, this is normally not noticeable with modern CPU's. The bottleneck of the scanning is the comparatively slow process of accessing the harddrive and scanning files.

Another factor to consider is if you are using the Plus and Pro versions and have enabled the 'Extended Anti-Virus engine' (turned on by default) the scanning times will also increase.

Resources?

Besides large definition files and somewhat longer scanning times there should be no increase in the use of system resources. Of course, your system will be slower during a scan since it is accessing your drives.

If you have more than one logical harddisk drive (partition or secondary drive), try to move a really big file from one drive to the other and then see how much CPU resources it takes and how unresponsive your system gets.

Scanning a drive takes time and resources. The same for any scanning software. Simple as that.

If this is still a problem try this:

Open Settings->Scanning and enable "Run scan as background process" in the "Performance Tuning" section.

This will lower the priority of the process resulting in low use of resources but increased scanning times.

A great explanation. Maybe pin it somewhere for all to read. It may save a lot of stumpy fingers. :unsure:

A great explanation. Maybe pin it somewhere for all to read. It may save a lot of stumpy fingers. ;)

Lol, no doubt. Pinning sounds like a great idea. I took a screenshot of it, so I can just upload it each time. Guess, I could link it, oh well.

Ok, here is a pic my firewall show the port as, I don't know if it's 80 or 8080. You could try blocking to test. I tested 4 times for an ip range, but I guess thats it for the outgoing. I just realized I need the download for the incoming. I had already updated before I cleared my log, darn it. I get it on update 102,sorry.

post-46766-1215730519.jpg

Following encouragement from gelert and Txnnok I have re-installed 2008 and will give it another try. Also, with the information provided by LS Digger Barnes this does help to alleviate concerns over slow downloads etc. - A Smart Scan took 8min20sec.

However, I still have one annoying problem with 2008 which I am sure can only be a bug.

I have Ad-Aware set to automatically check for updates on startup and this morning the startup banner dutifully said checking for updates and a minute or so later informed me via the %d/l figure being displayed that there was a new definitions file being downloaded. After the file had been downloaded another small dialog box was displayed informing that there were program updates waiting to be downloaded so I dutifully ticked the yes box. In the dialog box appeared text saying an antivirdef file was being downloded and this was progressing quite rapidly when a new message saying "not more than 1 instance can be running at any time" popped up. Now if AAW has already checked for and downloaded a new virus definitions file at startup why then, after it has downloaded the file, do I get a dialog box saying there are new update files waiting to be downloaded? And then, when I respond by ticking the yes box why is it telling me that I am attempting to have more than 1 instance (of update manager, I presume) running at the same time. Surely update manager should know that the latest defs file has just been downloaded at startup so why does it then notify that there are new updates waiting?

I will not respond yes if this happens in future but surely it shouldn't happen at all.

Any clues?

"not more than 1 instance can be running at any time"

This a known bug that Lavasoft is aware of and will be fixed in the near future. It only occurs when 'antivirdef2' is updated.

This a known bug that Lavasoft is aware of and will be fixed in the near future. It only occurs when 'antivirdef2' is updated.

I do believe that was the file which was updated - Thanks.

This a known bug that Lavasoft is aware of and will be fixed in the near future.

Yeah...it's known, but it's not in the Pinned: Bug Update...along with the other ones that aren't in the Pinned: Bug Update... :lol:

Taken from my post here:

Lavasoft have failed to implement a fix for this AdWatch versus AV2 Update issue since launch back in May and identification of the bug very shortly afterwards.

No fix either for missing AutoScan Icon when "update before scan" is enabled...see here.

And no mention of these two bugs, or this third bug in the "pinned: Bug update" topic.

Rant over...again...until the next time... ;)

Someone had posted this advice in a post for the 2007 version. It does seem to cut down on the scan time but I am not sure if its a good thing to do. Click on Settings and under the Scanning tab, activate the "skip files larger than" and change the value to one-half of the value there i.e. 524288 kb.

Otherwise it takes a hour to scan and that is ridiculous compared to SE.

I like the idea to scan in the background too.

If you know how to get it to quit stalling out part way into a scan I'd be happy to learn of it. Since I run these things at night I don't really care how long it takes (within reason; it shouldn't take days to complete), but when the program simply doesn't work, that's another thing entirely.

...and I also disagree. :)

AVG v8.0 was and still is my worst nightmare, but I'm sure that they'll sort it out by December '08 (the cut-off for v7.5). And part of that nightmare is the "bloat" that seems to have occurred, plus the Link Scanner issue that has webmasters, globally, in a quite understandable rage.

However, AAW 2008 being bloated...? I cannot agree with you.

I still run SE Plus on two laptops until the GUI issues are sorted-out with AAW 2008 - my GF is pretty hopeless with working programs at the best of times, and she'll fall-over in a big way when e.g. AV2 Update kills AdWatch. She uses her lappy and mine, so I can't update those yet.

But on my desktop, I'm more than happy with AAW 2008 Plus versus SE plus, and in particular with: same or less scan time versus SE Plus; heuristic scan; auto-scan; auto-update; safe-mode.

I never liked AAW 2007, and I was vociferous about SE being superceded...but after a while I took the plunge and adopted AAW 2008. Yes, I've had quite a few issues with 2008, either unique or shared with a whole load of other members of this forum. But we've persevered and come out, not so much on top, as way ahead IMHO.

I'd urge you to reconsider and give AAW 2008 another try. The issues that you mention I'm sure are easy to narrow down with a little patience e.g. Defs Update speed might be a firewall issue or just unfortunate heavy traffic - both of these reasons have been featured in this forum.

All the best,

Gelert.

Ok everyone,

Got some news in. There will be a major update coming at the quarter. I don't know what all will be addressed in it. Hopefully you get that first set of updates packaged in it.

I do know the FF3 problem will be fixed.

Also for the skipping files, try setting it 10,000 or 15,000. Virus's will not be that large. I have mine set at 15. I believe Calamity sets hers at 10.

Does the scan freezing do it on all forms, full, smart, (custom for those that have the paid version)?

Ok everyone,

Got some news in. There will be a major update coming at the quarter. I don't know what all will be addressed in it. Hopefully you get that first set of updates packaged in it.

I do know the FF3 problem will be fixed.

Also for the skipping files, try setting it 10,000 or 15,000. Virus's will not be that large. I have mine set at 15. I believe Calamity sets hers at 10.

Does the scan freezing do it on all forms, full, smart, (custom for those that have the paid version)?

I just read in another thread where you posted that nothing will be done for FF3 this year, Or even with this version.

I am confused now.

Will the FF3 update be included in the update at the quarter, or not.....or maybe??

Hi,

I posted about firefox 3.0 in the other topics, sorry i didnt here.

Basically LS Calamity Jane, the lady who works for Lavasoft as a malware expert and forum admin, asked the developers about firefox 3.0. Their reply was that it will definitely be supported in the next version of ad-aware (expected in 2009).

Whether or not they decide to do it earlier remains to be seen.

Hope that clarifies

That was an error on my part, just like the other thread. I skimmed over what Calamity wrote to us,this what casey is talking about, and missed understood what quarter. The quarter that was meant was the first quarter of next year. Sorry, for the confusion. My thoughts about it are in the other thread, there is no need to retype it all.

If anyone posting on this thread is having problems please start a new post, I believe there is also a thread for ideas.

This thread will now be closed.