Sign in to follow this  
dualmonitors

Adaware2008 and Firefox 3.0: No Adaware Updates to work together yet?

Dear Sir/Madam:

I have just downloaded Firefox 3.0 and using it for several days. I noticed that when I use Adaware 2008 now, it does not find ANY cookies whatsoever!

I'm certain that it has to do with Adaware NOT knowing where the Firefox 3.0 files are since it is new.

May I kindly ask when Adaware plans to provide an update? I believe that around 25% of the market uses Firefox so it is substantial.

Thank you in advance! You guy have a wonderful tool and it is a great service to us all.

I hope the update to include Firefox 3.0 is coming soon!

I brought it up awhile back when ff3 was in rc stage. I assumed they were working on it. I havent tested to see if they fixed it in a good while. I guess they haven't. I've been using ie more lately, ff3 seems to dragging for me,maybe I have to many addons on it.

I'll make report in a little bit for ff3.

I brought it up awhile back when ff3 was in rc stage. I assumed they were working on it. I havent tested to see if they fixed it in a good while. I guess they haven't. I've been using ie more lately, ff3 seems to dragging for me,maybe I have to many addons on it.

I'll make report in a little bit for ff3.

=============================

Txnnok: thx for pitching in! I have a feeling that the Ad-aware guys are really up to date and quick about these things, especially when Firefox now commands roughly 25% of the market share. Maybe they are inundated with other work?

Let's hope they look at this and work on this significant, missing part!

Anyway, thanks, Lavasoft/Ad-aware for putting out a good product!

They are probably pretty busy. They are about to release a new antivirus program in a few weeks, I believe.

In your message you stated that FF3 keeps crashing on you. I have had it crash,yet. I notorious for filling up with tabs too. I just with 9 tabs running, no crash.sorry

They are probably pretty busy. They are about to release a new antivirus program in a few weeks, I believe.

In your message you stated that FF3 keeps crashing on you. I have had it crash,yet. I notorious for filling up with tabs too. I just with 9 tabs running, no crash.sorry

=========================================================================================

Mmm...re: my Firefox 3.0 crashing: i have TWO firefox browsers open at all times, each browser has 7-12 tabs running.

i'm wondering if i'm being excessive and just didn't think too much about it? or, am i actually being reasonable and Firefox 3.0 still has a bug?

thx again for your info/advice. hope Lavasoft would answer soon!

=========================================================================================

Mmm...re: my Firefox 3.0 crashing: i have TWO firefox browsers open at all times, each browser has 7-12 tabs running.

i'm wondering if i'm being excessive and just didn't think too much about it? or, am i actually being reasonable and Firefox 3.0 still has a bug?

thx again for your info/advice. hope Lavasoft would answer soon!

==========================================================================================

With no reply from the forum administrators or Lavasoft officials, and a couple of other threads saying the same thing re: Firefox 3.0 not compatible with 2008 Ad-Aware, I wonder if it means that Lavasoft is not working on this or focusing on this?

Use FF's option in the privacy tab to delete cookies or keep the ones you want. I have 2 other spyware programs and none of them delete or pick up FF3 cookies. I wonder if this is intentional. Maybe the spyware programs only interfere in FF if the cookies are malicious.

Till we know this is a temporary fix, go to tools in FF, click options,and under the privacy tab is the "Show Cookies" button, click it and remove all cookies or the ones you want. If the websites try to store the cookies anywhere else Adaware will discover them. The only reason I can think of for them to try that is because they are malicious and don't want you to delete them.

Firefox 3 is much better at blocking unwanted cookies. It was in the Firefox 3 release notes. That's probably why you aren't finding any.

while i'd like to believe that what you wrote is true, i seriously doubt it.

for a long time, probably a year or so, using Firefox 2 and Ad-Aware 2007 had "produced" or found 40+ items to remove each time i checked/scanned, and that was around once every day or several days. sometimes, there would be over 100 items!!

i cannot believe that Firefox 3 would block them all.

what i suspect is happening is that Firefox 3 has changed it's file name for saving this cookie information and, as a result, Lavasoft/Ad-Aware 2008 has not yet kept up with this latest development and Ad-Aware 2008 is still only looking at the folder names where Firefox 2 used to be storing the info.

i hope this won't go on for too much longer because my current scans produce virtually nothing via Ad-Aware 2008.

sigh.

Use FF's option in the privacy tab to delete cookies or keep the ones you want. I have 2 other spyware programs and none of them delete or pick up FF3 cookies. I wonder if this is intentional. Maybe the spyware programs only interfere in FF if the cookies are malicious.

Till we know this is a temporary fix, go to tools in FF, click options,and under the privacy tab is the "Show Cookies" button, click it and remove all cookies or the ones you want. If the websites try to store the cookies anywhere else Adaware will discover them. The only reason I can think of for them to try that is because they are malicious and don't want you to delete them.

Txnok: thx for your pointer. i'm not very good at this but i do understand exactly what you're suggesting. i do have a follow up question though:

how would one know what cookies are "desirable to keep" and what cookies ought to be erased?

there are many that i found and some are from obvious sites that i visit often. others are not really that intuitively obvious to me.

thx in advance!

google it. You will have to click the plus symbol to expand the cookie in the FF's cookie box. I checked a few of mine, the first one doesn't give any info, but the others did as long as I looked up the name in google. You understand it more when you try. Just be patient and you will learn, plus the more you do it the you know which ones you want and which ones you don't.

I just realized something easier with FF. Erase all the cookies, go to a site that you use passwords and stuff on and you will be able to see what the cookie is called for that site. Then you can make an exception for it and if you see it adaware, you can ignore it. That really only works if you use IE to, till they fix adaware for FF.

Ok, everyone I just got word in.

I see that Firefox 3.0 has changed the way it handles cookies and changed the location so that would definitely involve new development for that version. I've inquired if they are working on it (probably) and will you know.

So as soon as I know I will let ya'll know, till then here are some link's about FF3 cookies to help out

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/About+cookies

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cookies

The Development Team confirms that Firefox 3.0 will be supported in the next generation release of Ad-Aware (Planned for first quarter 2009). Until then, users of FF3 can easily control cookies within the browser features :)

This is an official Lavasoft post. It confirms that Ad-Aware will detect Firefox 3.0 cookies in the next version, not the 2008 version.

Until then 3rd party cookies, usually tracking cookies, can be prevented from being saved on your computer by:

Open Firefox > Tools > Options > Untick 'Accept 3rd Party cookies'

Ahhh, I see. I misunderstood what was meant.

Sorry ya'll. Got everyones hopes up.

the development team has been really busy.

Edited by Txnnok

This is an official Lavasoft post. It confirms that Ad-Aware will detect Firefox 3.0 cookies in the next version, not the 2008 version.

Until then 3rd party cookies, usually tracking cookies, can be prevented from being saved on your computer by:

Open Firefox > Tools > Options > Untick 'Accept 3rd Party cookies'

============================================================

casey_boy: thx so much for the diligence in finding that "official" word.

well, i am extremely disappointed, to say the least. to ask us to wait till next year is just a bit unusual. one year with no protection in this daily-used browser part of our PC is a VERY long time.

unfortunately, Lavasoft/ad-aware has forced us/me into now launching into a search for a better alternative, therefore abandoning the trusty ad-aware.

after gaining such an incredible name for themselves with ad-aware, it's a bit unusual to "abandon" around 25% of the market share just because "...they are too busy with another new product introduction". that is like sinking a KNOWN quantity, i.e. their ad-aware product, in order to put their "bets" on an unknown product, i.e. their new antivirus.

i do not believe that the firefox user base is that small to simply toss away willy nilly like that. it would engender unhappy feelings toward the company.

i wonder if i'm the only one feeling this way or are all firefox 3 users as disappointed as i am?

thx for letting me vent my own disappointment.

Your misunderstanding what I meant by the pic, which is why I took it down.

Its easy to use a product and then criticize the flaws in it. I'm a beta tester, that is our job.

To me what it is being said is that because FF change the way it handles cookies that Adaware will have to completely change how the programming is designed to be. This requires a rewrite. Obviously, they can't change just upload a patch or they would do it.

They can' help that FF changed its system and who's to say they aren't working on a quick fix.

It's only been a month since FF was released, you have to give them some time. The new product will come out. This will free up some developers (programmers) and they can focus elsewhere.

I don't work for LS and I use FF3, yes I wish they would fix more quickly and believe they will before the new year and if not then I can use FF's tools to do what I want till then.

I know that Adaware is still protecting my computer regardless. If a virus or spyware is put anywhere else, Adaware will get it.

I am more curious as to why FF change their system, so that the leading adaware companies can't detect the cookies. I use other spyware programs and they don't pick up FF3 either.

Your misunderstanding what I meant by the pic, which is why I took it down.

Its easy to use a product and then criticize the flaws in it. I'm a beta tester, that is our job.

To me what it is being said is that because FF change the way it handles cookies that Adaware will have to completely change how the programming is designed to be. This requires a rewrite. Obviously, they can't change just upload a patch or they would do it.

They can' help that FF changed its system and who's to say they aren't working on a quick fix.

It's only been a month since FF was released, you have to give them some time. The new product will come out. This will free up some developers (programmers) and they can focus elsewhere.

I don't work for LS and I use FF3, yes I wish they would fix more quickly and believe they will before the new year and if not then I can use FF's tools to do what I want till then.

I know that Adaware is still protecting my computer regardless. If a virus or spyware is put anywhere else, Adaware will get it.

I am more curious as to why FF change their system, so that the leading adaware companies can't detect the cookies. I use other spyware programs and they don't pick up FF3 either.

============================================================

Txnnok: thank you for your clarification. it helps to have a deeper understanding.

I am referring to Post #13 by casey_boy. please refer to it above.

this is a partial quote from what he posted: "...The Development Team confirms that Firefox 3.0 will be supported in the next generation release of Ad-Aware (Planned for first quarter 2009). Until then, users of FF3 can easily control cookies within the browser features ..."

this quote, according to casey_boy, is from an "official Lavasoft quote". please see this: "QUOTE(LS CalamityJane @ Jul 17 2008, 01:01 PM)". I assume that casey_boy knows somehow that LS CalamityJane is an official (probably is correct as "LS" probably indicates Lavasoft official?).

in this case, then it appears that LS Calamity Jane is clearly saying that Lavasoft is NOT working on ANY fixes UNTIL 2009, specifically, she said that it is "planned for 1Q 2009". Well, that is 10 months from now!!

sigh.

this quote, according to casey_boy, is from an "official Lavasoft quote". please see this: "QUOTE(LS CalamityJane @ Jul 17 2008, 01:01 PM)". I assume that casey_boy knows somehow that LS CalamityJane is an official

I have access to the exact same places that casey does and what is being talked about is a discussion between the development team and Calamity. Although, it is probably the official statement and has not been phrased that way nor said that is an official response.

Even though I misunderstood the release being next year,I was trying to helpful and add a little hope. These forums are people needing help or maybe wanting a little clarification on something. I am sorry LS isn't adding support for FF3 more quickly, but there is no need to be insulting. If there are no more questions, I will be closing this topic.

Txnnok: thank you for your clarification. it helps to have a deeper understanding.

I am referring to Post #13 by casey_boy. please refer to it above.

I have access to the exact same places that casey does and what is being talked about is a discussion between the development team and Calamity. Although, it is probably the official statement and has not been phrased that way nor said that is an official response.

Even though I misunderstood the release being next year,I was trying to helpful and add a little hope. These forums are people needing help or maybe wanting a little clarification on something. I am sorry LS isn't adding support for FF3 more quickly, but there is no need to be insulting. If there are no more questions, I will be closing this topic.

=========================================================================

Txnnok: There is a misunderstanding. A complete misunderstanding.

you wrote: "... but there is no need to be insulting"

I meant nothing of the sort. I meant to say that it is very helpful to have your clarification, as well as the clarification of others who wrote in this thread, to help me, someone with little technical understanding of these things, understand this area/topic further and help me gain a deeper understanding.

Please re-read what I wrote and I hope you'll see that I did not mean it at all, whatsoever, to be "insulting". Oh my gosh, it is easy, especially when one does not see body language or expressions, to sometimes, have a miscommunication.

I hope that I have adequately clear that up!

That said, at this point, I'm wondering what I ought to do between now and next April when Ad-Aware 2009 will come out, which will support Firefox 3!

Sigh...

I do see it now. lol Sorry for that.

It is so easy for meanings to mistook for another meaning. For example, I tell posters all the time to use the help file. I have had them get upset, because they think your telling them they are dumb or something to that effect. But that isn't my intention at all. Now when I tell them, I specify I read it all the time myself, which is true.

I have changed my cookies setting for FF to not accept third party, but I haven't deleted them yet. I don't think FF let's as many through as IE, just realized I use adblock. Thats a pretty good reason why. Adaware will protect you if malicious ones get in and the web sites that try to get those in, are not going to store them where they can be deleted when a browser closes.

I have faith, they will do something for FF before the new year.

I do see it now. lol Sorry for that.

It is so easy for meanings to mistook for another meaning. For example, I tell posters all the time to use the help file. I have had them get upset, because they think your telling them they are dumb or something to that effect. But that isn't my intention at all. Now when I tell them, I specify I read it all the time myself, which is true.

I have changed my cookies setting for FF to not accept third party, but I haven't deleted them yet. I don't think FF let's as many through as IE, just realized I use adblock. Thats a pretty good reason why. Adaware will protect you if malicious ones get in and the web sites that try to get those in, are not going to store them where they can be deleted when a browser closes.

I have faith, they will do something for FF before the new year.

================================================================

Txnnok: thx for your reply and your acknowledgement. yes, it is so easy to misunderstand without the benefit of facial/hand expressions/gestures, voice intonations, etc.

well, it's great that they are "working on it" but whoever LS Calamity Jane is, she appears to be rather legit as an employee/insider of Lavasoft. so when she said first Quarter 2009, sigh... i sort of feel like she may be one of the few folks here on these forums (or is it fora?) who really has good info on scheduling! :(

Txnnok: thx for your reply and your acknowledgement. yes, it is so easy to misunderstand without the benefit of facial/hand expressions/gestures, voice intonations, etc.

well, it's great that they are "working on it" but whoever LS Calamity Jane is, she appears to be rather legit as an employee/insider of Lavasoft. so when she said first Quarter 2009, sigh... i sort of feel like she may be one of the few folks here on these forums (or is it fora?) who really has good info on scheduling! ;)

any chance that Lavasoft is working to include Firefox 3 in adaware? it would be very very useful. thx!

Sign in to follow this