Sign in to follow this  
Moby Duck

No more definition updates for Ad-Aware 2007?

I want to keep Ad-Aware 2007 (free version) for another month or two until 2008 has less bugs and is more stable. I read that the definition file updates have been postponed for 2007. Can they still be downloaded manually and inserted into the corresponding Lavasoft folder (replacing the core.aawdef file), or are the current definition files (0101.000) only for 2008? Clicking on the update button of my Ad Aware program tells me that I have got the latest definition file - which is not the case, since the one I have got is 0099.000.

I want to keep Ad-Aware 2007 (free version) for another month or two until 2008 has less bugs and is more stable. I read that the definition file updates have been postponed for 2007. Can they still be downloaded manually and inserted into the corresponding Lavasoft folder (replacing the core.aawdef file), or are the current definition files (0101.000) only for 2008? Clicking on the update button of my Ad Aware program tells me that I have got the latest definition file - which is not the case, since the one I have got is 0099.000.

I recommend you to update since the Ad-Aware 2008 version actually has less bug than Ad-Aware 2007.

The definitions for Ad-Aware 2007 have been postponed for a while since the software updates have caused increased traffic on our servers.

When the traffic decreases we will continue to release the definitions for all versions.

You can download the definition in a zipped file on our website.

http://www.lavasoft.com/single/mirror_down....php?f=UdGW2BN1

download and unzip and save in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware

Thank you very much, I managed to download the latest definition file manually and install it. Well, I have read that Ad-Aware 2008 can make a computer crash while scanning the registry...and that the scan takes very long (excluding freezing episodes), so I am sticking with this version until 2008 improves while the feedback flows in.

The ones you read on here are the exception not the rule. The last time I looked on c/net the downloads for the 2008 version was over 15 million. Do you think that if all those people were having problems that this site would even be up. You figure if 25% tried to go to the forums, Lavasoft would be so overloaded the servers would shutdown.

Instead of reading what the problems are, focus on what is causing the problems and make sure that when you update that those problems do not effect you. Program compatibility would be one, off hand I can only think of one nprotect by norton causes a problem. A bunch of others have been resolved such as AVG.

Goodluck and hope the install wonderfully

May I ask which Norton product causes conflicts with Ad-Aware 2008? Because I run Norton AntiVirus 2003 (yes, it's ancient although it gets the latest definition files via Live Update, and I'll be switching to Kaspersky AntiVirus 7.0 soon to have a current "scanning engine") on my PC. By the way, I hope there are no conflicts with Kaspersky, for that matter... ;)

Edited by Moby Duck

Its called Nprotect, its either part of norton or stand alone. not sure You can google for now. Pierre67 knows more about it, He was actually having problems with it. You can also look here were it was first discovered http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...amp;hl=nprotect

and later here were Pierre did more research on it. http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry81609

Nprotect seems to be part of Norton System Works and protects files in the recycle bin - I remember this vaguely from having Norton System Works 2001 (I think it was 2001) once long ago on my old computer. The sad thing was - it would protect infected files which ended up in the recycle bin as well...A useless feature which I ended up deactivating. Norton AntiVirus 2003 does not have Nprotect.

Edited by Moby Duck

Norton AntiVirus 2003 does not have Nprotect.

Moby Duck, are you sure of that? If you want to check, I can help you. My NPROTECT folder had files dated the year 2007 in it but I removed Norton back in the beginning of 2004.

I performed a search for NPROTECT with the Windows search function, and the only thing it found were two files called ENPROTECT.class, and they weren't in a Norton folder but related to something else. My Norton System Works program was installed on another computer which was replaced with my current computer. This computer, however, is also old - it's going to turn five in September. Also a reason why I do not like bug-filled programs in case it might be too much for my PC. The only Norton product I have got on my computer is NAV 2003, and it does not come with the Protect function - at least, not to my knowledge. I only hope that Ad-Aware 2008 is compatible with Kaspersky AntiVirus 7.0, because I will probably run the Symantec removal tool to wipe NAV 2003 off the system and replace it with Kaspersky in another two months. Getting NAV off the system is another topic altogether, of course...

Edited by Moby Duck

The 'nprotect' folder is a hidden folder. To see if you have it proceed as follows.

1. Select 'Tools>Folder Options>View then click to 'Show Hidden files and folders' and remove tick from 'Hide protected system files (Recommended)'. You will get a pop up asking if you wish to do this.

2. Then find the 'Recycler' folder in C drive and see if there is a 'nprotect' folder inside that. If so you can safely look at it and see how big it is.

3. Make sure you reverse step 1 to hide everything again.

Have attached a screen shot for you.

Edited by Pierre67

Sign in to follow this