Sign in to follow this  
Ted-W8TTS

Error 1702

I've tried most of the suggestions that I've found here to uninstall Ad-Aware 2007 so that I can install 2008 and nothing works. I keep getting an:

"Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. . . . "

I've tried correcting the problem through the Control Panel, I've tried a couple of things that suggested some fixes from MicroSoft. Any other ideas?

Hi,

This could be a problem with your windows installer rather than the program. So what i'd suggest is to download the latest version from Microsoft, available here. Install that and see if you fare better.

hope that helps,

Casey

Hi,

This could be a problem with your windows installer rather than the program. So what i'd suggest is to download the latest version from Microsoft, available here. Install that and see if you fare better.

hope that helps,

Casey

Thanks Casey. I thought that I'd tried that before and I guess I had because it didn't help this time either. I've been able to uninstall other things without a problem.

I've tried to reinstall the 2007 version, but the only one I can find on line is 7.0.2.7 and I have 7.0.1.6 installed, and to install 7.0.2.7 it wants to uninstall 7.0.1.6 and it can't. Maybe if I could come up with the 7.0.1.6 version and reinstall it might help.

Ted

oh ok, shame about that!

have you tried going to control panel > add/remove programs > ad-aware and then click 'repair' and then uninstall it, someone reported that this worked for them. it's just another option for you to try.

i'll have a quick search to see if i can find that older version for you, i will post back if i do,

Casey

oh ok, shame about that!

have you tried going to control panel > add/remove programs > ad-aware and then click 'repair' and then uninstall it, someone reported that this worked for them. it's just another option for you to try.

i'll have a quick search to see if i can find that older version for you, i will post back if i do,

Casey

Yep. Tried the control panel thing and got the same error. May have to delete it manually. :-{

just had a thought have you tried updating 2007 to 2008 via the software update?

if you try to update it should offer you the option to update to 2008 itself

just had a thought have you tried updating 2007 to 2008 via the software update?

if you try to update it should offer you the option to update to 2008 itself

That's the way I tried to do it at first, and I tried it again, and got the same error.

I guess I'm going to have to do this the hard way and do a manual delete. Can you supply me with the instructions on the proper way to do it? I'm comfortable make manual changes to the registry.

ok well just one last thing we'll try before we get to that stage.

if you haven't already, download and install revo it's a powerful uninstaller and might be able to help. i would recommend setting it to uninstall and delete all related files, but only do this for ad-aware.

fingers crossed,

ok well just one last thing we'll try before we get to that stage.

if you haven't already, download and install revo it's a powerful uninstaller and might be able to help. i would recommend setting it to uninstall and delete all related files, but only do this for ad-aware.

fingers crossed,

I've read some things about Revo and wasn't too sure that I want to use it. But . . . it worked, and I'm up and running on Ad-Aware 2008.

Thanks for the help!