Sign in to follow this  
skywalker

scans hang

Ad-Aware 2008 (free) Full scans hang (Smart scans run fine). Ditto Windows Defender (on Full scans; Quick scans work fine). I got Sunbelt CounterSpy and it hangs too.

what could be causing my antispyware scanners to hang?

(SpywareBlaster and SpyBot scans run fine. Ditto Norton Antivirus. I'm running XP Pro sp3, a fresh install last month)

I googled and searched forums for solutions but none worked. Sometimes it hung on System Restore; I turned it off and it mostly hung elsewhere. Sometimes it the hung on the Recycle Bin (which I've always had turned off!). System cleaning with CCleaner (which helped for some people) didn't help. Program uninstalls/reinstalls didn't work. I tried turning off resident antispyware aps. I tried going back (9 days) to my oldest Ghost backup image, but it already had the issue. I ran hard drive diagnostics, and CHKDSK, they show clean.

I created ("slipstreamed") a XP Pro sp3 install disc so I could RUN | sfc /scannow; didn't help. With this slipstream sp3 disc I can now run a full Repair Install, and that's the only option I can think of now short of another full Fresh Install.

I've wasted a week on this now because I feel the need to have full antispyware scans.

Having same problem with 2008 Free version - Smart Scan functions OK - Full Scan hangs up when deep scanning the registry, hangs up at different point every time, never had this problem with the 2007 version.

Any suggestions? Capt Flint

Well I would skip the archive scanner in settings section, becouse that do not work well( at least it did in AAW 2007 verison!), else

I've guess you can try to reinstall your computer, but that is a sad idea with all that work...

Cheerz,

Gusten.

Edited by Gusten Svensson

Sign in to follow this