Sign in to follow this  
jurisam

Administrator rights

Try uninstalling 2007,

then install 2008 by logging on to an admin account (as you have done) and then right click on the installer file then click 'run as administrator'

see if that works, if it does then try scanning again.

Casey

Hey Casey,

I'm also interested in this topic. I'm using version 7.0.2.7, but suddenly somrthing happened - a minute or so after I click the scan button

the screen gets blackened & the computer begins a restart process. I saw your advise, but I would like to know what do you mean by the

words "logging on to an admin account ". I guess you mean the account in Windows or am I wrong & you mean in Ad-Aware.

Anyway, could you remind me how do you do it?

Kindly yours,

jurisam

Yeah so as Raziel says, you will need to log onto your computer on the user account which has administrator privileges.

Then try running Ad-Aware. I would also recommend jurisam that you upgrade to 2008 (ver. 7.1.0.10)

Hope that helps,

Casey

EDIT: Because you and we have replied to this thread, I have deleted your topic. if you continue to have problems then we will start a new topic for you.

Edited by casey_boy

Yeah so as Raziel says, you will need to log onto your computer on the user account which has administrator privileges.

Then try running Ad-Aware. I would also recommend jurisam that you upgrade to 2008 (ver. 7.1.0.10)

Hope that helps,

Casey

EDIT: Because you and we have replied to this thread, I have deleted your topic. if you continue to have problems then we will start a new topic for you.

Hey Casey,

Thanks for your patience. Now another point - How do you log in as you mentioned. I'm sure that I'm the admin of my computer. Still, I have never done

that before. Furthermore, with the old version of Ad-Aware I had no such problems. On the meantime I downloaded the 2008 free version, but yet - the same problem rises. If you know how one logs on to his pc as administrater, would you be so kind to share that info with me. For almost 11 years I have neen handling a computer, but never did I faced such an absurdous situation, when you are being asked to prove that you are an honest person, in order to let you use a free version program!.

best regards & thanks in advance

jurisam

Hi,

What operating system are you using?

Open Control Panel from the Start menu, and then double click User Accounts. The see which account says 'administrator' beneath it.

If it is the account you are currently on, then you are logged on with admin rights, and should be able to right click on the installer and click 'run as an administrator'.

If you are not logged on with the administrator account, then please log off and then log on to that account.

Hope that helps,

Casey

P.S I have split your posts to form a new topic

Hi fntoy,

Try uninstalling and then installing the 2008 version (available here).

If you still have trouble, post a new topic in the 2008 forum.

Casey

jurisam i have created a new topic for you.

Thanks Casey for your kind treatment.

Looking in "user Accounts" at control panel, I found that the name AMIRAV, which is my name, appears above the words Computer Administrator.

So I went to the Ad-Aware 2008 installer file & clicked on "run as". Here I found that Current User is marked, but the user name there is not as stated in the user account, but it says:"AMIRAV-834C408E\AMIRAV". Underneath it says:" protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity"& it's also marked .Beneath that there is an option to state another user name,which is not active. Since I'm the current user (though there is an addition to my name, as you understand) & also the administrator, I didn't want to put any changes & clicked "OK". I got the list of languages,choose the English & then the installation process began. When finished, I clicked the "updates" & got them with no problem. But when I clicked the "scan" button, & before long , I got again the black screen & the computer began a restart process. I am using Windows XP Home Ed. Do you see now any chance that my "nightmare" is finished soon? I wonder

jurisam

hi jurisam,

you are definitely logged on as an administrator and so should have no problems installing, so

do you have any other security software installed on your computer?

if so, when you scan with those do you get the same error scenario?

Casey

In reply to your question: I use CA antivirus prog.,but have faced no problems in scanning by that prog.

This morning I deleted free Ad-Aware 2008 & also deleted it's installation file, then I downloaded that file again from the address you supplied me with.

Then I began the administrator installing process,but right after I got the languages note I received a note saying:"Corrupt installation detected" & I couldn't proceed with the process. (by the way - I tried also to install the 2007 version, where I was asked if I agree to update to the 2008 version, & I clicked ok.The installation process went smoothly, but when I tried scanning, I got again the black screen).

I'm affraid that at this point I'm becoming a bit desperated, as this is the first time, in 11 years,that I am facing such a problem that is so difficult to solve.

Do you know of any more advices that might get me, at last, to a reasonable solution?

best regards,

jurisam

Edited by casey_boy

hi jurisam,

i have just returned from a holiday, i was wondering are you still experiencing this issue?

have you tried fully removing 2008, by using Revo for example. Then you'll know that you'll definitely get a clean installation.

Casey

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a Moderator or Administrator.