Sign in to follow this  
WarrenPS

Can't get updates any more/

hello all,

I was having the same problem,go to control panel,add and remove,click on ad-aware,change,click on repair ,your update manager

should run and solve this problem,it worked for me . Hope this helps.

hello all,

I was having the same problem,go to control panel,add and remove,click on ad-aware,change,click on repair ,your update manager

Thank you! This worked!

YOU rock. Lavasoft, not so much in this situation.

As long as everyone CAN get updates in some form (hopefully valid) or another.

Thanks to everyone that posted what worked for them, and I hope I was able to help.

TinQer

I am located in the state of Ohio, in the United States. I tried this morning, and received the same error: "No Access to Download Server". I will try again later today to update.

Edit: I went to the control panel, add and remove, clicked on ad-aware, change, clicked on repair. It appears the ad-aware software has updated to version 108. Thank you!

Edited by mkc1949

I followed instructions above to the letter and as before, message comes up saying that it's "getting informatioin about updates" and then "Update - no connection to server and Suggested Action - check internet connection".

Nothing wrong with internet connection. Something wrong with free updates link ??? I think so.

Giving up for tonight as becoming frustrated. Considering that I'm not the only person who's having this problem, I'm hoping that Lavasoft will investigate same.

I clicked on the link in Warren's post. I got the download, replaced the old core def file, and after opening Ad-Aware a couple of times, the definitions loaded and things were fine. I upgrade my defs every friday, so I'll have to see what happens. Good luck.

I clicked on the link in Warren's post. I got the download, replaced the old core def file, and after opening Ad-Aware a couple of times, the definitions loaded and things were fine. I upgrade my defs every friday, so I'll have to see what happens. Good luck.

Well, I'm not ready to go through all the above just to get around AdAware's problem. I'm frankly surprised that no one from the company seems to be replying to this thread, even though reports of the problem have been pouring in for several days. Apparently the problem affects even people who have PAID versions. Jeez! I used to have a paid version, stopped using it after a while, decided to give the new AdAware a try with their free version, and eventually ran into the same problem everyone else has been reporting. AdAware's silence doesn't inspire confidence. It DOES make me glad that I didn't get a paid version again. I guess if this problem persists much longer, I'll simply remove AdAware from my computer. I had high hopes for the new version, but.... B)

having the same prob with ad aware plus 2008 paid version

not impressed

Well at least we know the Free version isn't being discriminated against! I was able to eek out an update 7/21/08 but even it wasn't real straight forward. Now it's just not happening in that my efforts are equally unproductive as everyone else’s. I was impressed, until now.... LavaSoft? LavaOff! Un mano no lava otra.

hello all,

I tried your suggestion seemed like it was working then it crashed, but finished? sent crash report, tried to up date got error message sound not connet to server, server busy. Hopefully Lava soft will resolve this issue soon as I love the product

I might as well chime in - since updating my 2 PCs to the 2008 version this morning, I can't get updates either. I read the thread and tried doing the 'repair' from Control Panel, no joy. I tried going to the manual update download page and when I click on the 108 update, it tries to send me to a mirror site download page, but that fails - unable to display page, so I can't even get to the file to try to download it.

Any new ideas?

post-53437-1217782424.jpgCannot update defnition file. The response I get is:

"NO CONNECTION TO DOWNLOAD SERVER"

I have a High Speed cable connection that is always on.

Can someone please assist me.

Thanks,

David

P.S. I am also running McAfee Security Center 2007.

post-53437-1217782424.jpgCannot update defnition file. The response I get is:

"NO CONNECTION TO DOWNLOAD SERVER"

I have a High Speed cable connection that is always on.

Can someone please assist me.

Thanks,

David

P.S. I am also running McAfee Security Center 2007.

Same here David. I can't even download the updates from the Adaware site. The 'Mirror' link for the definition update doesn't work. I get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' error message. (Why do they need a 'Mirror' link anyway? Don't they allow update downloads from their own site any more?) B)

I have tried to update on 4 different computers between my home and office. All get the same "No Internet Connection" error message that others are getting. Does someone from the company moniter these posts? This has been going on with me since July 31. Can someone "tweak" something and get us to where we can update? I'm not a computer geek - just a middle aged woman who likes to have things "go" when I need them to "go.

The two solutions I read on earlier pages didn't work for me:

1. Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Ad-Aware and do a repair install

2. Go to the Lavasoft website & manually download the latest definition file

So far, no official word from anyone at Lavasoft.

I have used Ad-Aware FOR YEARS, but I have never been impressed to the point where I felt I needed to buy the "pro" versions. After reading through this thread and seeing absolutaly no response from Lavasoft support I am definitely never going to send them a dime for their broken programs.

I have their software installed on my moms computer, (as well as my own personal computer), and a while back I noticed Ad-Aware SE wouldn't download the new updates. I ignored this problem because Ad-aware never really seemed to find much spyware anyway, so continued using the other popular and free anti-spyware program that I'm sure all of you own as well. Well, today I found out there was a new version and perhaps that was why I couldn't get the updates, so I downloaded Ad-Aware 2008 (free of course), and, but obviously it's still not updating. I tried manually updating, but the link won't work, and to be honest I don't care enough about this Lavasoft junk program enough to investigate further while their support ignores their own webforum.

For those that paid, if I were you I would be demanding a refund. If Lavasoft does not comply, call your credit card company to see about a chargeback. I don't know if that'll work, but it's worth a try when dealing with bad companies selling junk software!

I just tried to check to see if there was an update and it's been saying it can't connect to download server and to check my internet connection. Well, since I am typing this post here now, I do seem to have an internet connection. Apparently there is something wrong with their download server and not my internet connection.

Thank you Chapin.

I am watching both issues closely. I'll attempt opening the file, and put my 2 cents in again.

TinQer.

---------------------

Just downloaded and extracted (windows extract-all-files) to a temp directory without a problem. I am also on my 25th system using the update button from the app without a problem. (Just for everyone's knowledge I have another 40 to go.)

I just found out that the 0108.0000 definition file can be downloaded from the MajorGeeks website. Here is the link:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5711.html

The MajorGeeks web page has step by step instructions. Download the zip file to any temporary work folder. Once its downloaded, unzip the core.aawdef file to the All Users installation folder, not the main program installation folder. On my PC, it was here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware

There is already a file there with the same name, so you will get a Windows overwrite warning.

Start Ad-Aware. You will see the new version number (0108.0000) and date (07/30/2008) displayed.

post-60852-1217792710.jpg

Would someone please direct me to a product that does the same thing as ADAWARE? I am sick of this runaround trying to get it to run and download. When I first installed it months ago it would hang scanning folders. Took them months to get that fixed. Now it has been days since I have been able to update. Who knows how long it will take them to fix the download update problem. There must be something out there much more reliable.

Edited by Bob Cook

Would someone please direct me to a product that does the same thing as ADAWARE? I am sick of this runaround trying to get it to run and download. When I first installed it months ago it would hang scanning folders. Took them months to get that fixed. Now it has been days since I have been able to update. Who knows how long it will take them to fix the download update problem. There must be something out there much more reliable.

Me too please - need another product. Fortuneately I didn't pay!!

Bob H1.

p.s. Hopefully this gets passed the Moderator of the forum.

Same here David. I can't even download the updates from the Adaware site. The 'Mirror' link for the definition update doesn't work. I get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' error message. (Why do they need a 'Mirror' link anyway? Don't they allow update downloads from their own site any more?) :huh:

It looks like we are all having the exact same problem. Does anyone know if the administrators are aware and/or addressing the problem. If it doesn't get fixed we are all in danger of having some major problems...

I think they have a server problem. I will send them an email. There are a heap of posts all with the same problem.