Sign in to follow this  
Babyklown

AdAware freezes during full AND smart scans

I searched the forum and google, but it doesnt' seem that anyone else is having my exact problem. My Ad-Aware 2008 (free version) keeps freezing up. It does it on both smart and full scans. Sometimes I can get the scanner to stop the scan and delete whatever problems it has found that far. Most of the time, it just does not respond. Then to get it to start again, I have to completely reboot my system, shutting down the services and processes just isn't enough. It's getting to be a bigger pain to have than it is worth.

Please help!

I'll also warn you ahead of time, give me fairly elaborate step-by-step instructions, as I'm not so familiar with HJT and whatever else you may need to help me.

Hello BabyKlown :D

pls download and install WICU ( Windows Install CleanUp Utility/ freeware by MS )

Uninstall AAW 2008 via add/remove.

Run WICU and delete all AAW references.

Navigate to Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/ and delete the entire Lavasoft folder.

Run a windows search for AAW traces ( delete them if present )

Reboot

Disable your security software .

Start a fresh download and install of AAW , keep your security software disabled during this process.

Reboot

Let us know how it works for you

Cheerio

Raziel :huh:

Hi again :)

pls post a screenshot of the status screen when it stops.

A screenshot is a copy of your screen.

How to make a screenshot

1. Select the window you want to make a screenshot of.

2. Capture an image of your screen.

* Windows Users: Find and press the "Print Screen" key on the keyboard. It is usually labeled PrtScrn. This will copy an image of the screen into the Windows clipboard. Alternatively, you may use our free Screenshot Pilot software.

* Macintosh Users (OS X): Press Command-Shift-3. This will capture an image of the screen and save it to your hard drive. Look for a file named Picture 1 (the number may change if you already have images saved in this manner).

3. Open a graphics editing program (for example, Microsoft Paint or Paint Shop Pro).

4. Paste the image into the editor. This is most often done by using the menu Edit | Paste command or by pressing Ctrl+V. If your capture method saved the image to disk, you may need to open the image file.

5. Save the image in JPG, GIF or PNG format.

6. Check the size of the file you've just saved. If it is too large (more than 1 Mb), try adjusting the compression settings or crop only the necessary area of the screenshot.

for posting use the LS attachment system.

Raziel

re :firefox

firefox 3.0.1 is a new build - LS is working on it

btw. the new firefox has own security tools to delete cookies and privacy data.

Hope this helps.

Pls run an update to 0110.0000 , maybe this will solve the problem.

Raziel ;)

When I try to go to the download site for the new software, I get an error that says Access Violation at address 01960000. Write of address 01960000. That has been happening for a while now. But it seems to get the definitions updated fine.

When I try to go to the download site for the new software, I get an error that says Access Violation at address 01960000. Write of address 01960000. That has been happening for a while now. But it seems to get the definitions updated fine.

post-60837-1218494182.jpg

So I guess you're done helping me and I should just get rid of Ad-Aware. I've tried to be patient, but this is WAY too frustrating to be any more patient than I have been.

Babyklown, I'm sorry I'm not able to help you -- because I'm a forum member who, like you, has been trying to resolve a problem for awhile with Ad-Aware 2008 Free. I notice from your screenshots that you are using Windows Vista (as I am). By any chance, does your computer have a Vista 64-bit operating system? If you do, your Ad-Aware program will be installed in C:\Program Files (x86) instead of C:\Program Files. That's the kind of operating system I have, and I'm wondering if others with problems running Ad-Aware 2008 Free have Vista 64-bit systems.

Either way, I hope you're able to resolve your problem. As users of a free product, we can try to get help here in the forums... but Lavasoft doesn't have any obligation to help us. The more we can tell Lavasoft though, the better our chances that they will find solutions and fix these issues in the future. :)

I have the 32 bit Vista on two different machines and get the same crash from the 2008 update manager, so don't feel lonely. Maybe they will fix it eventually.

PS: Be careful to fire up the task manager and kill the runaway lavasoft update manager process for each update manager launch attempt.

Edited by casey_boy
Mod. Edit. Merged Posts. Casey

Babyklown, I'm sorry I'm not able to help you -- because I'm a forum member who, like you, has been trying to resolve a problem for awhile with Ad-Aware 2008 Free. I notice from your screenshots that you are using Windows Vista (as I am). By any chance, does your computer have a Vista 64-bit operating system? If you do, your Ad-Aware program will be installed in C:\Program Files (x86) instead of C:\Program Files. That's the kind of operating system I have, and I'm wondering if others with problems running Ad-Aware 2008 Free have Vista 64-bit systems.

Either way, I hope you're able to resolve your problem. As users of a free product, we can try to get help here in the forums... but Lavasoft doesn't have any obligation to help us. The more we can tell Lavasoft though, the better our chances that they will find solutions and fix these issues in the future. ;)

No, I am running 32-bit.

Either way, I hope you're able to resolve your problem. As users of a free product, we can try to get help here in the forums... but Lavasoft doesn't have any obligation to help us. The more we can tell Lavasoft though, the better our chances that they will find solutions and fix these issues in the future. ;)

I just keep having problem after problem with this Ad-Aware. And with all these problems I D*mn sure am NOT paying for it!

re.: logfile

Navigate to Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Lavasoft/Ad-Aware/Logs

open the log and copy/paste the file in your next reply.

Cheerio

Raziel :o

That just turns me back to Documents. When I go to the Ad-Aware folder under Program Files, there is no log file. But if I open Ad-Aware and go to logs, the only thing I get is the most recent one.

"20080818 12-35-13 : Started cleaning the system of infections

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt revsci.net NETID01 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt revsci.net NETSEGS_K05540 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt revsci.net NETSEGS_A06544 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt tribalfusion.com ANON_ID /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt tacoda.net ANRTT /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt tacoda.net TData /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt tacoda.net CMP /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt tacoda.net Tcc /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt tacoda.net TID /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt anad.tacoda.net /PC /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt realmedia.com S247 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt realmedia.com S247S /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt realmedia.com RMID /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt realmedia.com SData /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt realmedia.com RMFD /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt network.realmedia.com mm247 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt overture.com CMUserData /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt overture.com BX /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt overture.com UserData /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt adopt.euroclick.com LO /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt adopt.euroclick.com HS /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt adopt.euroclick.com UI /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt adopt.euroclick.com DMEXP /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt adopt.euroclick.com CTCI /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt adopt.euroclick.com NSC_mc-bepqu.fvspdmjdl.dpn-iuuq /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt viacom.adbureau.net LE2 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt viacom.adbureau.net LE4 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt viacom.adbureau.net LE1 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt viacom.adbureau.net LE0 /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt viacom.adbureau.net GUID /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-14 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt 2o7.net s_vi_x7Cckdoezox7Ey /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-15 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt 2o7.net s_vi_x7Fx60hdx7Dx7Fjfd /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-15 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt 2o7.net s_vi_x7Dkfgkxxx7Eieg /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-15 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt 2o7.net s_vi_x7Fx60hx7Fx60hx7Bdy /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-15 : Failed to remove Browser: Firefox Cookie: C:\Users\Raven\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles/8spvebbf.default\cookies.txt 2o7.net s_vi_drx7Fx7Eragtzugavtzx60gaj /, Belonging to Tracking Cookie

20080818 12-35-47 : Clean operation finished

20080818 12-35-58 : Smart scan started.

20080818 13-12-07 : Startup scan disabled."

That was a smart scan that actually ran to completion.

Raziel, on Vista operating systems the Ad-Aware 2008 log files are located in C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs. That's why Babyklown couldn't find them. :o

Babyklown, you can get rid of Mozilla Firefox cookies, internet files, and history through the program itself. On the top menu, open Tools -- click on Options -- and you'll find settings to control and delete them. Here's a screenshot of the Privacy tab, showing some of the options you have. On that same Tools menu, there's a quick way to delete cookies, etc. -- just click on Clear Private Data.

post-60148-1219101972.gif

I hope this helps you and others using Mozilla Firefox. :D

Raziel, on Vista operating systems the Ad-Aware 2008 log files are located in C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs. That's why Babyklown couldn't find them. :)

Babyklown, you can get rid of Mozilla Firefox cookies, internet files, and history through the program itself. On the top menu, open Tools -- click on Options -- and you'll find settings to control and delete them. Here's a screenshot of the Privacy tab, showing some of the options you have. On that same Tools menu, there's a quick way to delete cookies, etc. -- just click on Clear Private Data.

post-60148-1219101972.gif

I hope this helps you and others using Mozilla Firefox. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I knew the part about Firefox having its own removing system. I'm just annoyed at Ad-Aware repeatedly freezing. Most of the time, I can't get out of it. Once in a LONG while, I can click "Stop Scan" and get rid of the threats it detects that far.

Imagine that! The ### is still freezing. Anybody know how I can get 2007 back? Since it didn't freeze every D*mn time I tried to scan with it??

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth