Sign in to follow this  
pmize

Error 1920 [RESOLVED]

When I try to install 2008, I get the Error 1920 message. I am the admninistrator. I uninstalled 2007 (which I loved), with Revo but I still get the error. What should I try now? I am using XP, and downloaded the free version of Adaware 2008.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Edited by SpySentinel

Welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum

Problem Description

Installation requires administrative rights.

Solution

These problems are related to not being able to start the Ad-Aware service (aawservice.exe). This usually occurs during the final part of installation or startup of the program. To resolve the problem follow the instructions below:

A) Make sure you have Admin Rights

In order to install Ad-Aware you will need to be logged in to Windows as an Administrator or have sufficient rights on your Windows user account.

Some user accounts may not have sufficient privileges. If you are unsure, contact your system Administrator or the person who has installed Windows on your computer.

;) Try to restart the Ad-Aware Service manually

1. Close Ad-Aware

2. Go to Windows Start menu, choose 'Run...', type in 'Services.msc' and in the service window, stop Ad-Aware 2007 Service.

3. Open Ad-Aware to restart the service.

C) Use the latest installer

If neither of the above works, the Ad-Aware Service has probably been removed or blocked by 3rd party software. These programs need to be configured to trust any Ad-Aware processes or files.

1. First of all, turn off any Internet Security program temporarily, but be sure to turn them on again after you have completed the reinstallation procedure.

2. Uninstall Ad-Aware by using the “Add or Remove Programs” facility in the “Control Panel”.

3. Download the latest version of Ad-Aware from the Support Center or https://secure.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

4. Install Ad-Aware.

I am sure I have administrative rights, I have uninstalled AdAware 2007 with Revo uninstaller, and I turned off everything I could think of such as antivirus, firewall and internet accelerator. Then I downloaded AdAware 2008 and saved it to my desktop. I still get the same message. I guess I will just have to give up, unless someone has another suggestion.

Did you:

Try to restart the Ad-Aware Service manually

1. Close Ad-Aware

2. Go to Windows Start menu, choose 'Run...', type in 'Services.msc' and in the service window, stop Ad-Aware 2008 Service.

3. Open Ad-Aware to restart the service.

Edited by casey_boy
corrected to 2008 :)

Rename or Delete the Lavasoft folder from the location where it tried to install. Usually this would be located on your C: drive under Program Files. C:\Program Files\Lavasoft... Or click on my computer, then your C: drive, then Program Files, then scroll down to the Lavasoft folder. Once you rename it or delete it, then you can reinstall without getting the 1920 error.

:D Thanks you all for your help. Services.msc didn't work because there was no AdAware to stop but removing the Lavasoft folder did the trick. I am happily downloading updates now.

Thanks again.