Sign in to follow this  
2harts4ever

Scanning

Howdy,

I am running WinXP Home (SP#3), with IE7 using the free version of Ad-Aware 2008.

It has been a long time since I posted on this forum because the program is normally problem free.

However, this week I have started to notice the quick scans are taking up to 30:18 to complete while checking 176,058 files. I am positive this same scan last week used to take in the neighborhood of around 13-15 minutes.

Any ideas of what is causing the increased scanning time?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :):)

I have the same and it may be due to the new definition updates. I believe the application has a learning curve. Just keep an eye on it. The scanning time should decrease if the file structure remains the same I.E. no other software is installed.

Hi Peter,

It is good to see a familiar name. You helped me several months ago on a problem I can no longer even remember.

The problem has slipped my mind but the help hasn't. :D

I believe the application has a learning curve. Just keep an eye on it. The scanning time should decrease if the file structure remains the same

I will keep an eye on it and hopefully the scan time will decrease. Thirty minutes for a quick scan is a little excessive in my book.

Thanks and regards,

Morning Peter,

In case you are still watching this post I thought I would update you.

Last night before I went to bed I ran another quick scan and the time dropped to 26:22 but then this morning the same scan took 31:27 while checking only 149,087 files. I failed to get the number of files it checked last night.

However, it appears if the program is 'on a learning curve' it is a "slow" learner ...lol :D

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

I think that is because the definition file is updated daily. I'll keep my weather eye open. ;)

Hi Peter and all,

35:24 for 149,301 files during a Quick Scan with def file 0120

I personally think this is way to long for a scan that is classified as a 'Quick Scan'. ;)

Is there any other forum folks who think this is an unusually long scan?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :D:wub:

I don't know but I ran a smart scan on my laptop that does not have as much software installed and it ran in 41 odd minutes scanning 147,629 files. I will shut down some running processes in the next day or so and see if that makes any difference.

I have the same problem.

A few months ago the scan took less then an hour, last time I did a scan it took 3 hours and still didn't finish the scan.

I noticed, that it scans 100,000 files really fast then after that it slows down.

why would it take so long, ad aware 2007 only took 20minutes to do a full scan.

I have

Windows SP3,

75GB Harddrive.

2GB Memory

2GHz CPU

Ad aware 2008 installed.

I will have start testing from scratch as they updated the main AAW exe file and definition files as well. :)

Morning Peter,

This morning after bringing my program up to 'snuff' I did a little experimenting of my own.

First I ran a 'quick scan' in Safe Mode and the results were: 135,636 files in 12:49

Second I ran a 'quick scan' in Regular Mode except I turned off my SuperAntispyware Realtime protection and my ZAISS Spyware protection: 149,612 files in 26:20

Third I ran a final 'quick scan' in Regular mode except this time I turned off my SuperAntispyware Realtime protection and by ZAISS Spyware protection plus my Virus protection as well: 149,626 files in 19:59

Talk to you later ...

2harts4ever :):D

Interesting. Due to updates I have not got round to fiddling but will do this soon. Suspect if all tasks are closed down AAW will fly.

I am on a bit of time constraint at present due to caring for my other half after her op. She only has one wing at the moment. ;)

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about your 'better half'. Hope she mends quickly.

It looks like several other folks are having the slow AAW scans too.

The hang-up for me seems to be when AAW is scanning the files in 'Windows'. When it gets to 'Programs' it zips right through. However, some files in 'Windows' stops AAW right in its tracks ... sometimes for up to 2 minutes before it continues.

Talk to you later ...

Regards,

2harts4ever ;):D

I am using the free version at the moment "till i feel confident of program" and I dont have a problem with the length of time for the scanning, because every time i start a scan within a couple minutes my computer shuts down and restarts. Computer doesnt do this any other time, only when running a scan, smart scan, full scan no matter. Anyone have any ideas as to the why?

thank you

Hi Peter and all,

Well, I think I discovered the reason for my slow Ad-Aware scans and come to find Ad-Aware is not at fault.

I uninstalled my ZAISS last night after experiencing some irritating problems ever since their new update came out a few weeks ago.

In its place I installed a new firewall (Comodo) and new anti-virus (Avast). A few minutes ago I ran my first Ad-Aware Quick scan since the switch and it scanned 149,000 files in just 7:59. That is right back where it used to be at as far as time goes for a quick scan.

I had always heard that ZA and Ad-Aware didn't play well together and this experience proved it to me.

Regards,

2harts4ever ;);)

I have noticed since i went to 2008 version the quick scan takes over 20 minutes and when i try to do a full scan it just freezes up . I have unstalled and reinstalled and still have the same probem. Never has a quick scan in the other versions before 2008 ever taken more them 10 minutes . Any Ideas ?

Hi bktrucker58,

Do you happen to be using a Zone Alarm program?

I was and once I got rid of it my 'quick' scanning time was back to normal.

Regards,

2harts4ever ;):D

Edited by 2harts4ever

I use ZA Pro and AVG Pro and the scanning times are about the same. My next move will be to shut down the net, ZA and AVG plus any other stuff that is not required (Norton Ghost 14) and see what happens.

Hi Peter,

Once I got rid of my ZAISS altogether and switched to Comodo Firewall and Avast Anti-virus, my Ad-Aware scans dropped to their previous levels for a quick scan (right around 8 minutes).

Regards,

2harts4ever

That is why my laptop scans faster - it don't have ZA but PC Tools Firewall Plus (freebie). ;) I am stuck with ZA till next May when it expires.

Hi Peter,

I had 40 + more days left on my license but this last ZA program update did me in ... and they are still working on it. I figured I might as well go with a free one that works and Comodo and Avast are zipping right along.

Regards,

2harts4ever

Sign in to follow this