Sign in to follow this  
bassiq

Ad-Aware crashes at start

I have just updated my Ad-aware and now I get this error:

---------------------------

Application Error

Exception EAccessViolation in module Ad-Aware.exe at 0014B4EC.

Access violation at address 0054B4EC in module 'Ad-Aware.exe'. Read of address 00000294.

OK

The eventlog has 2 entries:

Faulting application ad-aware.exe, version 7.1.0.11, faulting module ad-aware.exe, version 7.1.0.11, fault address 0x0014b4ec.

Fault bucket 931756807.

What to do?

*Windows XP solution*

1. Right-click 'My Computer' on your desktop and then click 'Properties'

2. Click the 'Advanced' tab and then 'Settings' button under Performance.

3. Then click the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab and choose the setting: 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select'

4. Click the 'Add' button and *add Ad-Aware.exe* , *Ad-Watch.exe*,*lsupdateManager.exe* and *aawservice.exe* to the list.

>>These files are located at C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware by default<<

*Windows Vista solution*

1. Open System by clicking the *Start* button, clicking *Control Panel*, Clicking *System and Maintenance*, and then clicking *System*.

2. Click *Advanced System Settings*. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Under *Performance*, click *Settings*.

4. Click the *Data Execution Prevention* tab, and then click *Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select*.

5. Select the check box next Ad-Aware , and then click *OK*.

6. If Ad-Aware is not in the list, click *Add*. Browse to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware,find Ad-aware.exe and then click *Open*.

7. Please repeat step no. 6 for the following files as well: "AAWSERVICE.EXE" and "AAWLIC.EXE", and "LSUPDATEMANAGER.EXE"

Restart your computer and run Ad-Aware 2008, this should correctly solve your problem.