Sign in to follow this  
plip

Last Definition Update for Windows ME

Hello all,

First off, yes, I know Ad-aware SE is dead and gone. However, I have my mother who is using ME and a few other diehards, who will not change anything but depend on me for tech. support. Now if and when any of them decide to upgrade systems or OS, I will gladly update them to Ad-aware 2008 or which ever version is the current one. They are not high risk as they mainly use e-mail (with current spam filters) and current anti-virus, only going to a few select sites.

Now my question is (after reading these and other forums) is which defs.ref file version was the the last one to support Windows ME and where can I find it? The last one I downloaded was SE1R218.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

The last file to work with 98/ME was SE1R247 which was created last May. There's nowhere you can reliably download this file any longer. I still have the previous definitions file (SE1R246), but I'm not going to offer to email it to you because using it would leave your machine completely defenceless against the tidal wave of spyware created in the past 7 months. Since the current definitions file for SE (which you can't use!) is about 6.2MB in size, compared to 3.1MB for SE1R246, this would suggest that about half the spyware in existence has been created since last May, and therefore using this file would be useless, not to mention dangerous.

Most of people in this forum in your position seven months ago decided to move on to either:

Both of these products are well respected and efficient, and fully support Windows 98 and ME.

Edited by Jaheira

I have since found two good copies of SE1R247.

So I'll go close up my post and thank everyone for their time and help.

I do use both portable and on-line scanners at regular intervals on the old machines that I watch over and none of them find anything but a stray cookie once in a while.

Most of the virus and spyware that has come out since the first of the year is almost all aimed at the current OSs. It's like using ME or 98 puts you under the wire if you have any protection at all and a little sense.

My motto for all things tech. is if it will do what you want, you have no reason to upgrade.

That and you will never be happy going back once you do.

Also don't forget Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guardian, they still work on 98/ME.

Anyway, thanks again everybody.

I have since found two good copies of SE1R247.

From unofficial sites, I assume. How then do you know that they don't have malware embedded? Downloading definitions from a 3rd party site is a particularly dangerous thing to do!

Most of the virus and spyware that has come out since the first of the year is almost all aimed at the current OSs. It's like using ME or 98 puts you under the wire if you have any protection at all and a little sense.

Try running any recent virus or malware executable on your ME box. I can assure you that most of them will cause an infection, older OS or not. Therefore using an unsupported product with definitions 7 months out of date at a time when there's been a glut of malware is plain crazy. There have been other people in this forum requesting the last definitions file that worked with SE. They too have seemed unwilling to let go. When there are good products out there that still fully support your OS with up to date definitions, it's plain stupid to stick with an out of date product.

I hate to be a little harsh, but you really need to move on.

Edited by Jaheira

Actually, there are other registered users out here who have backed up their downloaded definition files (downloaded from Lavasoft) and are quite happy to e-mail their known good files to those who are nice enough to ask.

And just because we prefer to use Ad-aware SE on our old systems, does not mean we do not not have access to a newer system running current scanner software. And I run current manual virus and spyware scans on any and all files that I pass on to one of my older systems. I would also like to point out, that again, though we prefer Ad-aware SE as our main sacnner on our older systems, we are also aware that is and always has been foolish to rely on only one scanner, no matter how good it is.

I have at least three Spyware programs and two anti-virus programs on all my systems, as well as links to the best on-line scanners.

You might as well fault us for running Windows ME in the first place.

You might as well fault us for running Windows ME in the first place.

I'm running Windows 98SE. Why then would I possibly fault you?!

It's also interesting to note that those other people I told you about who insisted on getting their hands on a definitions file over 6 months out of date were also very defiant and defensive when enlightened as to their folly!

As I said above, using an unsupported product 2 generations (and soon to be 3) out of date, with definitions over 6 months old, when there are products out there that still support your operating system, is a plain stupid thing to do and worse than useless.

Edited by Jaheira

So when was the last security update released for 98SE?

Why use a OS that is both out of date (by years!) AND set the definition of insecure?

As I said before Windows 2000, will run on anything that will run 98SE/ME and is still being supported.

Do you know anyone who is running Ad-aware SE with the last good definition file installed, who has run say Spybot, that has found anything of note that Ad-aware did not catch?

I test most of them, on multiple OSs, because I have people running all sorts of systems for all sorts of reasons and I like to be knowledgeable when I give recommendations.

But I am not "most people" that post here, I also avoid using the word "stupid" in any of the forums I post in.

Somethings (tech. based) I do just to see if it is possible, others just for the knowledge and experience I gain.

A lot of old problems show up again and again. Often the old fixes still work.

Also I'm not telling anyone to start using Ad-aware SE, either. My systems that I watch over are mal-ware free not just because of the scanners (old or new) but because of custom settings for IE and instructions I give my people about safe web browsing and e-mail use.

After all, nothing can stand in the way of a really dedicated idiot!

Edited by Ahzz

So went was the last security update released for 98SE?

Why use a OS that is both out of date (by years!) AND set the definition of insecure?

Say what?!! I think you'll find the last security update was released the same day as the final one for ME!

In exactly the same manner as the people I told you about in my previous post, you're now going on the attack due to the fact that you can't take being told when your judgement is poor.

Basically, I've given you sound advice, but due to the fact that you don't seem to be able to let go of a product you've obviously been using for years, you're predictably getting stroppy!

Do you know anyone who is running Ad-aware SE with the last good definition file installed, who has run say Spybot, that has found anything of note that Ad-aware did not catch?

Get infected with any malware created since the middle of last May (ie about 50% of the total arsenal) and Spybot will pick it up, whilst Ad-Aware SE with 7 month old definitions won't.

A comfort blanket might be well and good, but it won't protect your machine from 50% of the malware in circulation.

Edited by Jaheira

Making it personal is unprofessional.

I did not say I have not moved on, I said others that depend on me will NOT move on.

And since NONE of my people, when you run any old OR NEW current mal-ware scanners have come up infected in years or even crashed do to any mal-ware, they don't have much reason to move on, do they?

The ones who can and/or want to update hardware, software or OSs, I gladly help do it.

Now when and if any of the ones who haven't moved on find something that Ad-aware SE missed and the NEW scanners find on their systems, then I will help them decide which of the current scanners is best for their needs.

It's not my or your place to decide what is right for someone who did not ask our advice.

I only started this post to ask about the last definition for ME, you forced your unasked for advice on me and proceeded to insult me for not kissing your feet for it.

I never asked for your advice, not that it's wrong, but as a rule NO ONE takes advice they didn't ask for. Which is why I always wait until they do, then they will listen, they may not follow it but they will at least listen without getting upset.

But as the great and mighty advisor to all those helpless people that rely on you, you should be enlightened enough to advise them to upgrade to newer, fully supported products that sport up to date definitions, rather than rely on an antiquated one that can't touch any recent malware. Failure to do so makes your security advice worthless.

And since NONE of my people, when you run any old OR NEW current mal-ware scanners have come up infected in years or even crashed do to any mal-ware, they don't have much reason to move on, do they?

That's like saying that because no one has broken into your house for years, there's no point upgrading the flimsy locks on the doors, even though there's been a rash of nearby break-ins recently!!

but as a rule NO ONE takes advice they didn't ask for.

So if I advised you to move out of the way of a speeding bus, advice you hadn't ask for, you'd ignore it?!!

Your current defensive posture implies that my advice has not been heeded, and as such, this exchange has come to the end of its usefulness.

Edited by Jaheira

Again I started this post for information, NOT for advice.

And I got my information, for that I thank you.

Now you can step down off your soap box, as you have not told me anything else I did not already know.

By the way, do you post to any other forums?

Hello,

This topic seems to be degrading a bit so let's try to address the issue and not attack each other :rolleyes:

Jaheira gave you the correct information in his first replies and I see you got that. So let's leave it at that before this goes downhill onto other unrelated issues that don't apply. :D