Sign in to follow this  
lee8888

lee88's problems

couple of days ago when attempting to up Ad-Aware 2007 version 7.0.2.7...this dialog box came up...

unhandled exception

aaweservice.exe has unfortunatly experienced an unhandled exception and was forced to close.

Please submit this error and we will endover to solve the problem as soon as possible.

After I submited the error...to you guys...a dialog box came up stating system error 1810 has occurred. Description Service is not online application terminated. well i was online...and am not using IE 7....i would really like some help with this product i have faith in it against catching spyware...I have tryed 2008 version but it takes 3 to 4 times to run.

I have had the same problem for several days and mine is due to the update of IE7. BUT. sorry casey boy, if I 'shouldn't even be using' aaw 2007 then lavasoft should just remove it. If it is still available, then they should fix it. The one thing that makes no sense it, from the beginning of AAW 2007, it had TONS of problems and instead of fixing them, they came out with a new 2008 version less than a year later and that version has tons of problems too, just new ones! So what does lavasoft do again? They are coming out with yet another new version in 2009 and no doubt will be encouraging everyone to download that! In the meantime, the current issue with aaw 2007 that gamer8 and others describe is still there and preventing users from having a functional spyware program at all, can't even open the thing. To suggest just "updating" to the 2008 version is a joke, just like it will be when they soon start telling people to update to the next version!! Just an idea.......

WHY NOT FIX CURRENT PROBLEMS AND HAVE A GOOD STABLE PROGRAM THAT GAINS A GOOD REPUTATION, INSTEAD OF COMING OUT WITH A NEW VERSION EVERY YEAR THAT HAS A WHOLE NEW SET OF PROBLEMS??

Thanks for trying to help Mike-B but that doesn't fix it for me. Not only is aawservice not listed in task manager, it is not in my Start Up list under msconfig either so there is nothing to uncheck. I just keep getting the Unhandled Exception error and that it's offline. Lavasoft says to upgrade to 2008 (which introduces a whole new set of problems and I don't like being manipulated either), but people can't do that if they can't uninstall AAW2007. And no doubt before long, they will be encouraged to upgrade to 2009 version! Don't know about others but in the meantime I have no spyware protection.

Hi lee88,

I have split your posts into a new topic, as it was getting a bit messy in the other.

Lavasoft released 2008 to replace 2007 and with that it meant that some bugs were fixed, and as you point out some new ones were created. In response to your question

WHY NOT FIX CURRENT PROBLEMS AND HAVE A GOOD STABLE PROGRAM THAT GAINS A GOOD REPUTATION, INSTEAD OF COMING OUT WITH A NEW VERSION EVERY YEAR THAT HAS A WHOLE NEW SET OF PROBLEMS??

The reason LS decide to release new programs is just the same as with all makers of software - they are continually trying to improve their product. Why release new versions of anything? Well, in truth, any time you update or fix something you are releasing a new version. as you may know some users experience scan sticks when running ad-aware and they experienced this in 2007 & 2008, so in the new version (not yet released) this was worked on - however, the changes needed were so big that it is pratically a new program so thus the new name etc.

The newest versions of Ad-aware whic LS release are tested and are "stable" but for some users there will still be problems - as with any software.

You should update to 2008 (and then the next version when it is released) as the current versions are the only ones which recieve bug fixes. In response to

shouldn't even be using' aaw 2007 then lavasoft should just remove it
I'm not sure where you have found it, because LS do not offer it for download anymore. Other sites might, but LS no longer do and in fact they ask you to upgrade when you try to update. They cannot force you to but they have officially said you should upgrade. I'm sorry you feel manipulated, but there is no other option, you are getting a software update - that is all. You are not loosing any functionality. Have you paid for the product or are you using the free version?

So to your problems. I am now confused, which version of ad-aware do you have installed?

If you have 2007 have you tried following these steps: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=22364 ? If not, then please do so.

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

Thanks for trying to help Mike-B but that doesn't fix it for me. Not only is aawservice not listed in task manager, it is not in my Start Up list under msconfig either so there is nothing to uncheck. I just keep getting the Unhandled Exception error and that it's offline. Lavasoft says to upgrade to 2008 (which introduces a whole new set of problems and I don't like being manipulated either), but people can't do that if they can't uninstall AAW2007. And no doubt before long, they will be encouraged to upgrade to 2009 version! Don't know about others but in the meantime I have no spyware protection.

Hi, if you cannot see AAWService.exe in task manager in Vista it is because you are not displaying processes from all users to solve this select the "Show Processes From All Users Button" (Screenshot: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?a...ost&id=5973) and accept the UAC prompt. AAWService.exe should now be visible (Screenshot: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?a...ost&id=5974). You are now free to end the process and continue with the uninstall (http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=22364).

Hope that helps,

GoddersUK

Sign in to follow this