Sign in to follow this  
Jonco

AdAware 2007 Problems (by Jonco)

Like many here I ran into a problem with Ad-Aware 2007 after the upgrade to IE7. I have the Pro version and contacted support. Unfortunately they repeatedly responded by telling me to uninstall 2007 and install 2008 without addressing the error messages I, like you, have received. I run Windows Vista.

I discovered what should have been told me to begin with.

You FIRST have to go to msconfig (in Vista, Start > type in msconfig > then select) > Start Up, and un-check aawservice from the start up list. (Task Manager is supposed to let you know what is runing, however, after trying to uninstall 2007 no reference to it appeared in Task Manager even though the aawservice was running/trying to run and giving the Unhandled Exception error).

Re-Start your system. This will eliminate the Unhandled Exception error.

You will now be able to go to Program File and Program Data File and delete all Lavasoft info. Before, you would receive an error message "You need permission to perform this action".

Make sure you completely uninstall 2007. See: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=22364

I was then able to install 2008 (those with paid versions will be asked to enter your registration during the process).

I was able to do a Full System scan. All appears to be well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I may be missing the point here but the cause of the problem is the current def file. Until I loaded the latest 0143.008 def file AAW2007 ran fine with none of the problems that I was seeing with AAW2008.

I just tried 0143.009 and had the same problem. I was able to revert to the original def file afetr some time waiting for the error report to be sent etc but the def file I now have is dated 11/2007.

Is it possible to download an earlier def file - maybe 0142.000 and try that as whatever my previous def file was it worked without the Unhandled Exception error that I am getting with the 0143.009 def file?

Edited by Jonco

Hi Jonco,

I would HIGHLY recommend that you upgrade to AdAware 2008. The LS staff are well aware of the problem - caused by an incompatibility with an IE7 update and not by a bad definition file - and the official resolution is to upgrade to AdAware 2008 (as per instructions - http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=22364). You mention that you were having problems with 2008? What exactly where those problems - we can't troubleshoot them if we don't know what they are :)

I removed IE7 update KB960714. Problem is still there. On my other machine, there wasn't any update for IE7 at all. Right after I let aa update, same problem appears! Do Lavasoft know how to make version 2007 work again or not?

Thanx for any help.

As explained in numerous other posts - the fix is to upgrade to Ad-Aware 2008. This is a free upgrade for all users, Free, Plus and Pro and keep watch out for the next version - Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition) due out later this month. Again, it is a free upgrade and will have many more features.

Fixes are not going to be going into the old Ad-Aware 2007 - the answer is to upgrade to the latest version (right now - Ad-Aware 2008)

Hi Jonco,

I would HIGHLY recommend that you upgrade to AdAware 2008. The LS staff are well aware of the problem - caused by an incompatibility with an IE7 update and not by a bad definition file - and the official resolution is to upgrade to AdAware 2008 (as per instructions - http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=22364). You mention that you were having problems with 2008? What exactly where those problems - we can't troubleshoot them if we don't know what they are :)

Definition update 0144.000 was released a day of so ago. I downloaded it, installed it and tried AAW2007 again. Whatever the problem was with the definition files 0143.0xx has been fixed with 0144.000 as AAW2007 ran as before without any problems showing up.

As I suspected the problem was caused by the definition file.

Many thanks to Lavasoft for fixing the problem. :o

Hi Jonco,

Back in June 2008 I installed AA2008 free and let it get all of the updates. Then I ran a full scan and found that it froze after 30 seconds checking the file inprocserver32. After 5 minutes of nothing happening I had to use task manager to stop the process, aawservice.exe from memory, which was running at 50% utilization.

I tried a couple more times with the same result and then gave up, deleted AA2008 and re-installed AA2007 free. I ran AA2007 to see if it was also affected but it ran to completion with no problems.

I plan on staying with AA2007 at this stage until AAW2009 comes out. I will give AAW2009 a trial and, if it works, will switch over to it - if it doesn't then I will stay with AW2007 for as long as it continues to work.

ahhh...

the infamous broke inprocserver32 reg keys.

Bit of mystery that one... different fixes seem to work for different people.

Definition update 0144.000 was released a day of so ago. I downloaded it, installed it and tried AAW2007 again. Whatever the problem was with the definition files 0143.0xx has been fixed with 0144.000 as AAW2007 ran as before without any problems showing up.

As I suspected the problem was caused by the definition file.

Many thanks to Lavasoft for fixing the problem. :rolleyes:

The problem is back again. Definition update 0145.001 dated 21/1/09 worked fine but the error has returned again with the update dated 28/1/09 - I don't know what the version number is.

Does anyone have a handle on what is different between the updates that work and the ones that don't?

Does anyone have a handle on what is different between the updates that work and the ones that don't?

The phase of the moon.

Sign in to follow this