Sign in to follow this  
msmith60

SPYWARE DOCTOR FROM PCTOOLS.COM installing google toolbar!, Will PCTOOLS Spyware Doctor be included in the definitions?

Hello everyone.

As you now know, PCTOOLS.com Spyware Doctor has decided to start bundling browser toolbars (google, etc..). Most of the programs that bundle toolbars, and adware, and programs that keep track of your data and invade you, are always detected by lavasoft adaware, but spyware doctor isn't? even though the new spyware doctor from pctools.com just started installing the google toolbar on user's computers through it's installer from thier website. Why isn't spyware doctor detected even though other programs that bundle any toolbar are? and when will it be added to the definitions?

Note: If lavasoft will not add it, then I need a good explanation as to why it will not be added, since other programs I have downloaded from the web get detected, that install toolbars with user's permission and with a privacy policy just like google? will they then be removed from the database so that lavasoft will not be sued in this case for favoring one toolbar over another since it is google? as to being afraid to be removed from thier search engine?

Thanks

Hello MSMITH

To answer you question. Bundling of software is amongst the criteria in our TAC (Threat Assessment Criteria), but is not enough in itself to constitute adding it to detection IF the bundling was optional and made very clear to the user. When deciding a TAC rating, we look at a number of different criteria. Each criteria scores a certain number of points. When we have added these together and rounded them to the nearest whole number, the software must score 3 or above to qualify for detection.

For bundling on its own, the question is usually "How aware was I made that the third-party software would be bundled, and was I protected against installing it unbeknowst or accidentally?". Also, if the third-party software is something very malicious, this also puts another slant on it.

If you have concerns about PCTools installing Google Toolbar, then we will look at their installation procedure and make an appropriate TAC rating.

For a complete description of how our TAC system works, please review this at http://www.lavasoftresearch.com/tac_main.php

:)

FWIW I've just downloaded the aforementioned software from their homepage and have been unable to duplicate the members claims of it bundling google or any toolbar for that matter.

HTH :)

Pass,i did'nt get that screenshot on my install,now i feel left out :)

Where did you grab the installer from LS SteveJ ?

PS I have seen simmilar antic's from Adobe& C/Cleaner doing simmilar`things with Yahoo toolbars.

Guest winchester73

Since there is the option to "untick" the installation of the Google toolbar, it would be very hard to argue that it is a rogue installation. :)

Since there is the option to "untick" the installation of the Google toolbar, it would be very hard to argue that it is a rogue installation. :)

Nothing underhand at all just a little bit tacky for a paid security software IMO

Pass,i did'nt get that screenshot on my install,now i feel left out :)

Where did you grab the installer from LS SteveJ ?

PS I have seen simmilar antic's from Adobe& C/Cleaner doing simmilar`things with Yahoo toolbars.

For the one with the screenshot, http://www.pctools.com/downloads/sdsetup.exe

The checkbox should probably not be ticked by default however.

Hello again,

The reason I posted this was that allot of other software programs also bundle toolbars, and adware programs that also clearly asks the user to opt in/out of the installation (exaple whenu save, etc..) or even 180 solutions zango. so why are those picked upon, and not the google toolbar. most toolbars that get removed are identical in use like the google toolbar, excpet that they are from lesser known search engines, but they have a similar privacy policy, and similar installation opt in/out.. so why also is the google toolbar not listed in the adaware database as an item that should be scanned for, like alexa toolbar, etc..?

Note: If pctools gets away with bundling a toolbar, then most other antispyware tools will follow, and this will be a sham.. the protector removes other toolbars, but installs it's own for a more profit!!! this will also make toolbar creators and adware bundlers make more deals with antisyware programs to be bundled with thier antispyware tools to remove the compitition, but install them selves!!! this needs to be reacted to immediately before it gets out of hand..

thanks

MSMITH. Lavasoft's mission is to provide an unbiased reporting service for users of Ad-Aware so that they can make a decision on whether or not to accept the risk level presented by us. Other vendors may detect WhenU.Save, but Lavasoft removed this from detection several months ago after positive change was made by WhenU in regards to their Save product. However, if this change would be reversed, then we would of course re-assess the software. So as you say, we do not "pick" on software, we report it accurately according to our threat assessment chart (TAC), and should the vendor decide to change the software for the better, this will be reflected in our assessments. In regards to Spyware Doctor and Google Toolbar. Spyware Doctor clearly state that Google Toolbar will be installed (although they may wish to change the default ticked install box)... and Google Toolbar itself is not considered to be malicious or privacy invasive in any way. People may express concerns about the Page Rank feature, but Google requests clear consent before this is turned on. (Nothing is turned on by default that would constitute a privacy risk to the user) Bundling is not necessarly anything bad, as long as the rules are followed (including screening of affiliates, something which many vendors either forget, or more likely do not care about as they make enough money from it before they added to detection and then move on to their next project)...

anyway... I hope this clears up the subject

Sign in to follow this