Sign in to follow this  
peugeot206

FLTLIB.DLL

I just updated to the anniversary version. I downloaded it, but every time I try to run it, I get an error message telling me that I'm missing the file FLTLIB.DLL. I have downloaded this online, but don't know in which folder I should put it. Can you please help?? I would be happy to revert to my old version of ad aware if you could direct me to the link?

I've got the exact same problem. I downloaded the dll in question and placed it in system32. However, when I try to register the dll via Regsvr32 I get the following error message:

"dll was loaded but the dllregisterserver entry point was not found"

I'm at a loss.

Peugeot,

I've still got the aaw2007.exe version. I've gone back to it for now until I can figure out how to resolve this problem. If you want a copy let me know and I'll send it to you.

Charles

I keep getting that error message too ("FLTLIB.DLL file is missing)...

Once I find the C:\Windows\System 32 section, what am I supposed to do to get the missing file? Is it supposed to be in there? I'm a dummy at this stuff.

--------------------------------

I have a dial-up modem at home and am having difficulties getting the Ad-Aware AE edition to operate. I've downloaded the AE edition two different times (each download takes 2 hours!) and the only thing coming up is my temperature and frustration!

I've even downloaded the AE edition (with my computer at work) onto a flash drive, and then downloaded that file onto my computer at home. So that makes the third attempt and now I'm at my wit's end…

1.) I originally had Ad Aware 2007 and had been upgrading it to Ad Aware 2008 edition with weekly definition downloads over my dial-up modem. This worked well all through 2008, although the dial-up modem was slow and your program's scanning of my system files was slow too. Nevertheless I used it OK. Now in January '09, I visit the Lavasoft website and see the free copy of Ad Aware AE is available, so I go for it…

2.) Each time after downloading the AE edition (long 2-hour waits to download), the Installation Wizard comes on the screen and runs OK to supposedly install the new application. When it is done, a new message comes on the screen from "AAWService.exe- Unable to locate component". The message box says "This application has failed to start because FLTLIB.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." So that message caused me to try re-installing by using Explorer, going to the file titled "AdAwareAE.exe" and right clicking to "run". But it became a vicious circle with the error message appearing after the install wizard was done again.

3.) I've seen other AdAwareAE messages come and go. One suggested that I "Uninstall" Ad-Aware (which I did). But inevitably, I kept getting the message " that the application failed to start because the FLTLIB.DLL file was not found." Out of frustration, I completely removed all Lavasoft files (folders & contents) from my C drive. Then I set up a new empty folder in Applications called "Lavasoft", and then manually transferred the AdAwareAE.exe file from my flash drive to the new Lavasoft folder. Once again, no luck. I cannot get the application to run.

I also tried to download the anniversary version of Ad-aware. I downloaded it, and got the same error message that Peugeot206 got. It just keeps telling me that I'm missing the file FLTLIB.DLL.

So I just deleted everything because it was a big file, and went back to my old version of Adware 2008.

If there is any way of fixing this please email me at Munched email address.

Edited by Pierre67
Munching.

Well you can download the dll all over the net. Just type it in Google and you'll find all kinds of places offering it as a free download. Then you take it and place it in the "System32" folder (which is inside the Windows folder). After that you have to register the file to your computer so it gets recognized. The best way to do it is to go to the start menu and click on "Run". Then type the following in the run box:

Regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\fltlib.dll"

Then hit "Okay", and that should register the dll.

The trouble is that I can't seem to get the file to register. Maybe it's because I'm still using SP1. If one of you guys is using SP2 or SP3 maybe you could try it and see if it works for you.

Same problem here. :huh:

Missing FLTLIB.DLL. Reinstall your software.

After 5 times, I AM GIVING UP! :D If the anniversary edition requires a file that my software doesn´t include, I am not risking my machine´s integrity downloading a file requiered ONLY by Ad-aware.

I still have version 2008, and I´m sticking to it, until the error disappears or, in the worst case, I am forced to DUMP ad-aware.

I've searched the AD-Aware 2008 forum and there's basically no issues with the "missing FLTLIB.DLL" file...

So why is it a key concern with the SE edition?

And why can't users of the Free SE edition get e-mail tech support?

Why are we treated like second-class citizens?

I suspect the free AE edition is beta, and they're testing the waters to see "How many Mikey's out there don't like it, or can live with it".

;)

"what version of windows are you using?"

I'm using XP Home/SP1

"And why can't users of the Free SE edition get e-mail tech support?"

Well there has to be some incentive to get people to buy the full version. I don't have any problem with that. After all, they do have this forum which is just as good as email support and will probably get you a quicker answer anyway.

As to problems with the dll, like any piece of software you write, there will be problems trying to make things work with all operating systems. I suspect that those of us having problems are all using SP1 and that SP2 and Vista both come standard with that dll. That's just life with computers. Advances are made, newer operating systems offers more programming options, more runtime libraries etc., and software engineers write software that will take advantage of those new goodies. Eventually you have to upgrade your OS or you can't play with the new toys. SP1 has been around for several years now. I like it. It does everything I need it to do, and upgrading to SP2 or Vista means upgrading some very expensive programs I have that won't work with SP2 until I do. Older versions of Adobe Premiere, 6.5 for instance, have always had problems running on SP2 unless you upgrade to the newer version of Premiere, and that's a $300 upgrade for just one program! The newer version of Premiere doesn't do anything I really need at the moment so why upgrade if I don't have to? On the other hand, I'll probably upgrade to a hi-def camcorder in the next year, and virtually every program aimed at hi-def NLE's is based around SP2, so eventually I'll have to upgrade everything. That's life mate.

Hello,

The solution for this error is, for XP SP1 users, please upgrade your Windows operating system to at least SP2 (Microsoft recommends getting the latest service pack which is SP3 currently).

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...t.aspx?ln=en-us

The AE version will not run on XP SP1 and that causes this particular error

The solution for this error is, for XP SP1 users, please upgrade your Windows operating system to at least SP2 (Microsoft recommends getting the latest service pack which is SP3 currently). The AE version will not run on XP SP1 and that causes this particular error.

I was afraid of that. I think you'll find that there are a ton of users out there that want absolutely nothing to do with these two service packs. They tend to cause more problems than they are worth. It would be far easier to find another program similar to ad-aware than to upgrade to SP2 and then have to upgrade all of the programs I have that won't work with it until I do, and at a cost of several hundred dollars.

Hi, while I wish to point out the perils of not upgrading to the latest service pack (NEITHER SP2 OR SP3 CAUSE ANY MAJOR WIDESPREAD PROBLEMS) I will also point you in the direction of some alternative software that should work.

Service Packs 2 & 3 for Windows XP provide many HIGHLY IMPORTANT security updates for your computer, as well as performance and reliability updates and feature updates. Browsing the internet on a computer not running SP2 or SP3 these days is akin to going sailing in a sieve. Unless you want to sink deep into the crocodile infested waters of the malware jungle I highly recommend you install the service pack. (Ok, I think I may have taken that analogy too far... :() By not installing these updates you leave your computer open to access by hackers, botnets and all kinds of other nasties. Also, Microsoft now only provide updates for service pack 2 and above - opening your computer to more and more risks.

However, as I said, I will recommend to you some trusted software that should work on older servicepacks/operating systems - Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Hope this helps, and I strongly recommend you update (which, contrary to what you seem to believe, is free) - update.microsoft.com

It seems that the current version of AdAware can't help lots of Windows XP users until they log onto their network and the Internet -- possibly letting spyware or other malware do something evil -- to download FLTLIB.DLL or install SP2 or SP3. Does this strike anybody else as dumb like post? My wife just returned from a trip with her laptop, and she was nervous that she might have picked up a virus or spyware while connected to other networks. So we've run Kaspersky's free start-up CD, and Spybot S&D from a USB key with the pre-downloaded updates. Then I got to Ad-Aware, and it won't run. She's got XP Pro Build 2600, from installing post-SP2, though her computer apparently does not include a copy of FLTLIB.DLL. (?)

Ad-Aware's approach doesn't seem helpful.

Sign in to follow this