I also like the Adaware product.

Have used various versions over the five years I have had

a computer.

It just came as a shock that scan time in the Anniversary

Edition seemed such a backwards step.

I now await promised software updates with interest. :):rolleyes:

Cheers

ZENFLASH

Errr... on 2008 (downwards) my Smart Scan time was usually 10-15 minutes, which seemed about right. I've just done my first Smart Scan with this newer edition and it's... 30 seconds. That can't be right, surely. I don't feel particularly protected anymore if this is just missing most of the files out of the scanning.

Edit: ...Nah, not liking this. I've gone back to 2008. 30 seconds is too quick for Smart Scan, and I just don't like the new way of showing suspicious files. I'll miss having Ad-Watch on the free version, but as I say back to 2008 for me. I just wish Lavasoft wouldn't keep showing a d*mn advert for AE every time I load it up. Seriously guys, give us a 'Don't show this again' button.

Why can't they just make one really good, solid version and update the definitions for that, than keep releasing a new one every year?

Edited by Bobbybob

Wow, after reading this thread, I wasn't sure what to expect! LOL

To my utter and complete JOY, my Full Scan took 40 Minutes - Objects Scanned: 106187. This new version *rocks* for me, as sometimes the Full Scan wouldn't even complete for me with the last version. :)

Running Windows XP SP3 here.

Edit: Smart Scan took 1 minute, 30 seconds. :rolleyes:

Edited by Miss_Christine

Again !!!

I think that at this stage we should wait for the coming update.

LS Sebastian (Lavasoft Staff) say that:

There have been some performance-fixes made, they will be made effective in the next update, which,

if all goes well, is planned to be released this week.

Any specific forecast for this problem ???

Again !!!

LS Sebastian (Lavasoft Staff) said (On Jan 26 2009, 03:03 PM ) that:

There have been some performance-fixes made, they will be made effective in the next update, which,

if all goes well, is planned to be released this week.

For those following this topic, an update has been released, which may resolve some of your issues with the fullscan.

Please update and report back.

I updated AdAware AE this morning from the "Update" on the main page and it installed version 8.0.2. My full scan had been taking over two hours for my WinXP/SP3 160 gig. drive with about 14 gig. of data. Now it's down to about 45 minutes, the same as version 7.1 was.

Thank You LavaSoft!

Milt

:rolleyes::D

Yes... A Big change !!!

My result:

=======

Full Scan

======

Duration: 01:14:54 !!!

Objects scanned: 179469

Memory (Used) Scanned : 48.09 GB

Smart Scan

========

Duration: 00:06:36!!!

Objects scanned: 21638

Memory (Used) Scanned : 48.09 GB

Looking good.

;):lol::)

Edited by BoazBoaz

I have updated my software and just finished both a Smart and Full scans.

Does not make sense.

Here is the results. Included are those from my original post.

Jan 21 2009, 10:42 PM

Scan profile name: Full Scan

Objects scanned: 282871 (Data taken form the tool log)

Duration: 5 hours and 10 minutes.

Scan profile name: Smart Scan

Objects scanned: 22323 (Data taken form the tool log)

Duration: 8 minutes.

Today 1/29/09

Scan profile name: Full Scan

Objects scanned: 93030

Duration: 1 hour and 22 minutes

Scan profile name: Smart Scan

Objects scanned: 22156

Duration: 14 minutes.

Why objects scanned not equal, slightly less than or more than when doing Full can.

Did not make any changes in any of the settings.

I will do another full later to verify if these results are correct.

Had to go back from AE to the 2008 version, due to a NO open-run issue after the AE download! MADE AT LEAST 3 DOWNLOAD ATTEMPTS OF AE!

2008 version run time is 38 minuites on FULL SCAN and 215,165 files scanned! (73 threats found)

Windows XP Home edition, SP 3 ver 2002, 512 MB Ram! (several office programs on the computer)

(no other programs open or being used while the scan is running)

Quitter! :)

:( I installed AE on two computers at first, no problems on one, repeated machine boots on the other - which is what got me to finally join this forum. After an hour here, I told all my email buddies who didn't keep a backup computer aside their main that they may want to stick with 2008 for a while, but I keep at the AE on the problem machine. It may have taken 6 or 8 tries but it finally stabilized and stayed so. How & why certainly remains a mystery, tho.

Hi. Sounds like you have same prob as me. I use ad-aware free which worked very well both in speed and amount of bugs to be cleaned. This anniversary edition is trash. After nearly 50 mins into a full scan I'm just over half way. Also, it appears not to clean up like the previous model. Lavasoft, bring back the no anniversary model.

You know, I never knew how long AA2008 or my Spybot S&D took. I gernerally update and run them weekly will asleep and have my AOL calender sent me Alerts and Emails reminding me on each every week forever. I generally run Avast Boot-scans asleep too. Anyway, once my AA-AEs both stabilized, I was happy with scans that took less than 2 hours with small processors and 1 Gb Ram each.

For those following this topic, an update has been released, which may resolve some of your issues with the fullscan.

Please update and report back.

I just updated: Def-File 146.0002 right?

Great news

========

All users,

Please update the tool,

Run again your Full Scan

And post your Scan Duration

GOOD LUCK !!!

Got it updated and running on my newly booted alternate machine that had all the machine booting problems at first. I'll let ya know in a couple hours. Going to run it on this machine without a fresh boot to see if we have much difference...?

Edit: First Full scan finished in 46 minutes - Wow! However, the "Perform Action Now" button is not working - now what...?!

(see below)

On my PC with a 40GB hard drive (30GB used) the first Full Scan with AdAware AE took 1hr 35min. I was dismayed

My laptops came with small HDs too, but they were cheap and easy to replace. My scuba buddy & I are fumbling amateurs but we just followed the instructions and illustrations on the manufacture's site with a tiny screwdriver set from a Dollar Store. cool-smiley-012.gif

Edited by DDon

I haven't run the program in a few days, my last scan then yielded these results:

The entire Full Scan finished at 6 hours 43 mins, scanning 250261 items and found 1 object, which is a DLL i need...

Today I ran the scan and noticed a major increase in performance! :( I ran the scan again later to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

The Full Scan finished at 2 hours 2 minutes, scanning 204141 items and found 3 objects, 1 of which was a (different) DLL i need (so I didnt delete it).

The second Full Scan finished at 2 hours exactly, scanning 204048 items and found 1 object, that DLL i need (so I moved it to the "Ignore" list).

It seems to scan about 50000 less items, but the scan time is much much faster now, which is just about as long (if not slightly less) that AdAware 2008 used to take.

By George, I think they've got it!

CPU 1.0 GHz; RAM 512Mb; HDD 4Gb free out of 18.6; XP Home SP 3; Avira Free, Spybot Search and Destroy (Tea Timer disabled), Windows Defender, Zone Alarm Free firewall, Malwarebytes Antimalware

FULL SCANS

24th January 85 279 objects scanned; ( time 04:59:27)

26th January 84 967 (11:14:02)

Installed today's update

29th January 76 969 ( 01:53:20)

SMART SCANS

24th January - abandoned after 1240 objects/ 01:37

25th January 20 216 (13 minutes)

26th January -crashed the computer at 11 928 objects/01:18:45

Installed today's update

29th January 20 349 ( 7 minutes)

CPU use on the early scans was consistently high - upper nineties, with Ad-Aware.exe accounting for most of that. During today's scans, it was much lower - typically 60 - 80% between Ad-Aware.exe and AAWService.exe (which I THINK is part of Ad-Aware.)

CPU use still remains high on completion of the scan (at the sort of level seen during the scan).

As suggested by MrPete, minimising the Ad-Aware window dramatically reduces CPU useage. However, I only tried this very briefly "just to see," as I wanted a reasonably realistic comparison with previous scans - run with the window "open."

The very first scan (on the 24th January) found three nasties, which were quarantined as advised. They are still safely in quarantine after downloading the new, improved programme. It also found one suspicious file - recommended action (in this case Allow Once) in all cases. Previous scan logs, alas, are gone.

Today's full scan found 3 MRUs and the same suspicious file (recommended action - keep once - again -submitted - again - through "Threatwork.")

A LITTLE concerned that I only had3- point - something gb of HDD space free last time, and now have a shade over four - hope it hasn't removed anything useful! Perhaps the new programme's smaller.

Congratulations to the Lavasoft team. This looks like a huge improvement. I'll try another scan in the next day or so to see whether times are more consistent.

Edited by newideas

From my earlier posts in this thread on the same machine...

After many failuers, I finally got AE to run on my other, similar machine with 2.12 Ghz processor...

Full Scan Objects scanned: 173069 Objects detected: 41 (hmmmm?)

Scan and cleaning complete: Finished correctly after 2 Hours run time

I mentioned an hour ago that a Full Scan took only 45 minutes but the Fix button wouldn't work.

I ran another Full Scan on the same machine and apparently the Fix had worked ok, just hadn't show. This one took 40 minutes and didn't find the same problems so apparently they were removed.

But then it only scanned half as many objects?! What's with that? Is the new solution to replace cleaning the machine well in 2 hours with cleaning half as much in less than half the time...???

From my earlier posts in this thread on the same machine...

I mentioned an hour ago that a Full Scan took only 45 minutes but the Fix button wouldn't work.

I ran another Full Scan on the same machine and apparently the Fix had worked ok, just hadn't show. This one took 40 minutes and didn't find the same problems so apparently they were removed.

But then it only scanned half as many objects?! What's with that? Is the new solution to replace cleaning the machine well in 2 hours with cleaning half as much in less than half the time...???

:( Hi Guys,

I updated and ran a new scan on my xp sp3, 200 gb hard drive, 2gb ram, here are the new statistics:

Full Scan now: 1:08 Full Scan before: 3:45

Objects Scanned: 98197 Objects scanned before: 98197

Everything worked for me including the fix button.

:( Hi Guys,

I updated and ran a new scan on my xp sp3, 200 gb hard drive, 2gb ram, here are the new statistics:

Full Scan now: 1:08 Full Scan before: 3:45

Objects Scanned: 98197 Objects scanned before: 98197

Everything worked for me including the fix button.

I ran a third full scan on the same machine: even faster = 39 m 57 s but only scanned 83,632 objects. I have to wonder why less than half before - but you had no changes in number...?

I ran a third full scan on the same machine: even faster = 39 m 57 s but only scanned 83,632 objects. I have to wonder why less than half before - but you had no changes in number...?

no changes in numbers for me, go figure?

no changes in numbers for me, go figure?

OMG!?! All my documents and short cuts are gone. :) No wonder it scanned so few.

I can't even find System Restore...!! :(

OMG!?! All my documents and short cuts are gone. :) No wonder it scanned so few.

I can't even find System Restore...!! :(

DDon,

I am so sorry, I don't know what to tell you! I checked, all my documents are still there, and system restore it still there. Nothing has changed on my computer.

Kim

I installed the latest update this evening, v8.02, & ran a full scan completely for the first time since installing AE. Scan time was 1 hr.; 28 min.: 22 secs. [Ad-Watch disabled]; scanned 60845 objects & found 3 MRUs. Version 7 scanned about 150000 objects in an hour & 50 minutes but the update definately helps. BTW, I use an older, upgraded Compaq computer w/80 GB [about 5.5 GB used], 512 MB RAM & 1GHz. Regards.

Just ran a second test of both Full and Smart.

Something is not right.

How can it scan fewer objects and also take longer on the Smart scan?

Date Type of scan Objects scanned Time

1/21/09 Full 282871 5 hrs 10 min

Smart 22323 8 minutes

1/29/09 Full 93030 1 hr 22 min

Smart 22156 14 min

1/29 Test2 Full 92192 1 hr 24 min

Smart 21958 13 min

DDon,

I am so sorry, I don't know what to tell you! I checked, all my documents are still there, and system restore it still there. Nothing has changed on my computer.

Kim

If that was my only computer, I'd be hot - and of course blame AA-AE, righteously or not. I used this computer to look up directions to find Safe mode with a Command prompt and restored it to this morning. Got my shortcuts back, not my documents.

Tried restoring to the next earlier date that was the 26th. Didn't help, so I am headed back to this morning's restore point, replacing my lost AOL program, checking Windows updates and for other losses, then copying my documents from my EHD, then running AA-AE edition again. We'll see what happens...??

I'm very glad I backed up all my Documents to an External Hard Drive last night - the only safe way to not lose precious memories and all - including nearly 20,000 photos.

Sign in to follow this