Sign in to follow this  
dfiord

Runtime Error in Setup Script:

I have been a user of Ad-Aware for several years. and have most recently been running Ad-Aware 2008 on my Vista notbook.

I have just tried to install Ad-Aware AE and have repeatedly received the following error message:

Line 558: Failed to set data for 'DisplayIcon

I have tried to uninstall using Revo, Windows Installer Cleaner, CCleaner, etc, but no success.

Any assistance would be most helpful.

Thank you.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

This leaves the program half installed, with a desktop icon, but it won't run.

It cannot be removed with Add/Remove Programs or Revo, although Windows Install Clean Up does help (but does not delete all the files).

I have tried re-installing earlier versions but they will not install either.

GoddersUK, thanks for letting me know about WICU!

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 and Norton 360 V1.

I've upgraded to Ad-Aware AE on my 3 computers and have only experienced this problem with one of them.

Cieron

GoddersUK:

I am running Vista Home Premium/SP1. I am also running avast anti-virus, which I disable when installing AE. The Windows Firewall is also active.

I have already installed AE on a WinXP machine and the install went fine.

As a side note, when my install fails, when I re-launch the AE installer it asks if I want to 'Uninstall' the installation of AE. If I run it and uninstall AE it does uninstall it completely.

Thank you for your help.

I also get the same error. I run Vista Home Premium. I turn off my firewall and antivirus when trying to install.

The program icon shows up on my quicklaunch bar and in the start menu, but clicking on the icon does nothing. The program also does not show up in "add/remove programs."

Richard

I get the same error. I run XP Home.

In my case, to correct it, I have uninstalled AD-Aware AE and created the following empty registry key:

Key name: "Ad-Aware"

in: [ HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ ]

And set the permission for "Administrators"

After I have installed Ad-Aware AE again, and it was good.

Be carefull when modifying the registry :)

Could Lavasoft have a look on this small problem?

Best regards.

Edited by Dan65

I am getting exactly the same Error during Installation:

Runtime Error in Setup Script: Line 558: Failed to set data for 'Display Icon'

I am not confident in working in the Registry so am unable to do the above

I notice in my Add\Remove I already have Visual C ++ 2008 (Vers 9.0) - I wonder if that is anything to do with it or does 'Setup Script' refer to something other then Vis C ++ ?

Edited by thingy

I just want everyone to know that I appreciate everyone's comments and support.

I continued to experience the problem but tried DAN65's solution of adding the Ad-Aware Key to the registry and it worked perfectly. Thank you Dan!

Many thanks to Dan65. You helped me solve this problem.

I navigated to the Registry Key you mentioned and found a key with the name Ad-Aware already there. It's default value was blank.

I changed the permissions to give Administrator all permissions.

I then modified it by deleting the following:

NoModify - Value = 1

NoRepair - Value = 1

I then re-installed Ad-Aware AE and it works fine.

Edited by Cieron

I too am very long time user of Lavasoft Ad-Aware. I wanted to try the new version before purchasing and I'm getting the same error. Is Lavasoft doing anything about this? I have written to customer support several times, but have gotten no replies.

I find it ironic and kind of funny that they released their new "Anniversary Edition" and it has an error that is effecting installation for many people! :D

Thanks,

Mike

gesualdo

Since I am not confident in tinkering in the Registry, I have now abandoned Ad-Aware

It seems unfortunate that a complete Program has to be abandoned just because an Icon cannot be displayed

I don't think you'll get a response from Lavasoft as they don't support the free version

Whether or not they are aware of the problem who knows

I have been a user of Ad-Aware for several years. and have most recently been running Ad-Aware 2008 on my Vista notbook.

I have just tried to install Ad-Aware AE and have repeatedly received the following error message:

Line 558: Failed to set data for 'DisplayIcon

I have tried to uninstall using Revo, Windows Installer Cleaner, CCleaner, etc, but no success.

Any assistance would be most helpful.

Thank you.

I have the same problem regarding installing to a PC with XP SP2, however using the uninstall appears to have removed the programme. The Annivesary Edition appears to have installed properly on my laptop with Vista, but I only use the laptop occassionaly so have not noticed any problems yet.

I have now put PCtools on my PC and unlikely to come back to Ad-Aware, If problems occur on my laptop, I'll do the same.

Roger-S

gesualdo

Since I am not confident in tinkering in the Registry, I have now abandoned Ad-Aware

It seems unfortunate that a complete Program has to be abandoned just because an Icon cannot be displayed

I don't think you'll get a response from Lavasoft as they don't support the free version

Whether or not they are aware of the problem who knows

We are aware of the problem and we are currently looking into it.

// Janne

I get the same error. I run XP Home.

In my case, to correct it, I have uninstalled AD-Aware AE and created the following empty registry key:

Key name: "Ad-Aware"

in: [ HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ ]

And set the permission for "Administrators"

After I have installed Ad-Aware AE again, and it was good.

Be carefull when modifying the registry :)

Could Lavasoft have a look on this small problem?

Best regards.

I just want to add that Dan65's solution worked like a charm. Seemed like a too easy fix, but it worked perfectly and AE installed without a hitch.

Sign in to follow this