Sign in to follow this  
Propy

scanning problem

I installed Ad-aware ae last week and I really liked the fast smart scan! it took about 3 min to scan my machine. I did a couple of scans last week (all smart) and they both took 3 min. Today I started one and it just went on...over 10 min went by. Ultimatly I stoped it becasue I had other things to do and was expecting a 3min scan...

what has happened? it scans fast and nice until it reches "critical areas" (or what its called) and when it does it starts to scan one object per second...

so what has happened? is it an update that has screwed things up?

(note; I'm running norton antivirus 2009)

Edited by Propy

I did run it again, directly after I discovered it but it was the same.

however, I did a scan just a minute ago when I started up my system again, and now it was faster...about 5min. But still very slow at "critical areas", although faster this time...

I noticed that ad-aware doesn't use any cpu at all, nothing! is that right?

I really don't know whats causing this...could it be Norton?

It should use some CPu but dramatically less than the previous versions.

It is possible that norton is causing a conflict, you could try disabling it for the purpose of running an ad-aware scan.

Casey

I am having the same problem. In the critical area, the scan gets stuck on file C:\program files\r\.\layer\realplay.exe.

This problem started this morning after receiving definition file 146.0009.

Hi, could you ensure that realplayer is not running in the background - either look for a real player icon in your system tray and exit or press ctrl+alt+del (if you use Vista you may need to select the show processes from all users button) and look for a process called realplay.exe or similar.

Thanks for your input. realplay.exe or similar is not running at the time of scan.

For a couple of times, the scan got stuck on realplay.exe (never finished) but lately, the "current object" shows realplay.exe for a while, the "objects scanned" go from 3753 to 5888 and after 5888 the "current object" changes for another .exe file. The scan usually ends showing 1 cookie to delete.

I assume it is working but don't know what files are scanned between 3753(realplay.exe) and 5888(another .exe file).

Is it normal that "objects scanned" shows progression and that "current object" stays on same file?

For your info, I usually get 3 to 5 cookies to delete after daily scan. Now, since problem, AdAware only picks up one cookie.

I have noticed it happen on exes... can't say I've payed that much attention, but it often happens on installers and self extracting zips and the like.]

As for the cookies, that could be for a variety of reasons. Most likely its that the offending cookies have not returned after removal for some reason... (have you changed your browsing habits, or perhaps a website you visit has stopped dropping tracking cookies on your machine).

Thanks again for replying.

Cookies: my browsing habits are the same. I scanned again this morning and Ad-aware picked up only one cookie.

Re: problem scanning. This morning, my first scan was with Ad-Watch live on. The scanning got stuck on same file realplay.exe.

I disabled Ad-Watch live and on the second scan, the scanning stop for a while on realplay.exe but continued to finish the scan.

"objects scanned" shows progression but "current object" stayed on realplay.exe

Usually, when the scan stops on a file, the "objects scanned" stays at the same number.

So the scan works better when AAW Watch is off?

If yes then may be a bug and I will pass it to LS to check.

About the cookies - I guess that a website has changed it ad provider or something and just no longer drops cookies B)

Thanks again. I am now running my scan without aaw watch.

re cookies. The scan picked up 5 cookies this morning.

Seems everything if fine now.

Great you got this sorted, I'll close the thread now. If you'd like it reopened then I'm just a PM away.

I'll pass the problems you had with AdWatch interfering with the scan to LS.