Sign in to follow this  
StanH

Network Connection Blocked - malicious website

The Ad-Watch Live component of my Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition popped up a message titled "Network Connection Blocked - Ad-Watch Live has blocked Firefox.exe from connecting to a malicious website:72.233.2.58.

I Googled that DNS and found that 72.233.2.58 is owned by WordPress.com. Interestingly, I created a free blog on WordPress.com less than a week ago. Ad-Watch does not pop up when I go to my own blog.

The same message has occurred three times. Does anyone have an idea as to what is happening?

I have the same problem"Connection error,please check settings".I do not have a proxy server.

Where is Lavasoft to answer these problems???

I find this a repeatable issue but no answer from Lavasoft!

Sounds like this might be a False positive issue. Let me move this topic to a more appropriate area so our Research Team can check this out for you :angry:

Hi!

The IP 72.233.2.58 is falsely detected and it will be removed from the detection database as of the next definition update.

In the meantime Ad-Aware AE Pro users may edit the network rule for the IP as shown below.

NetworkRules.JPG

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Regards,

LS Pekka

Hi!

The issue reported by StanH is fixed in the current definitions 0146.0007.

Connection errors, such as "Connection error,please check settings", hindering Ad-Aware from downloading updates etc, are not caused by the Ad-Aware AE Pro´s network protection (not available in the free edition). Users that are experiencing such connection errors should post these issues in the General Support forum at,

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=61

Regards,

LS Pekka

Hi!

The issue reported by StanH is fixed in the current definitions 0146.0007.

Thanks for following up on this.

I have two thoughts.

1) If the detection was a false positive, what could be Wordpress.com's reason for wanting to be informed when I go on-line?

2) Wordpress offers free blogs in subwebs. Mine is here: http://hhservico.wordpress.com. Could it be that one of the hundreds/thousands of subwebs at IP 72.233.2.58 is malicious?

Thanks for following up on this.

I have two thoughts.

1) If the detection was a false positive, what could be Wordpress.com's reason for wanting to be informed when I go on-line?

2) Wordpress offers free blogs in subwebs. Mine is here: http://hhservico.wordpress.com. Could it be that one of the hundreds/thousands of subwebs at IP 72.233.2.58 is malicious?

Hi StanH!

Answer to q1:

The privacy policy available at h**p://automattic.com/privacy/ contains info regarding the types of information gathered by Automattic.

Answer to q2:

There are 32,031 domains hosted on the IP address of 72.233.2.58 and some of those sites may host malicious content.

The WordPress.com service is run by Automattic. According to their Terms of Service, h**p://en.wordpress.com/tos/

Automattic states,

"5.Responsibility of Website Visitors.

Automattic has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Automattic does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Automattic disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted."

h**p://en.wordpress.com/tos/

Regards,

LS Pekka

Sign in to follow this