Sign in to follow this  
Hugh Winters

McAfee VirusScan 10 insists I remove Ad-Aware

Hi all,

I just cancelled my subscription to McAfee VirusScan because their new version insisted I remove LavaSoft Ad-Aware in order for it to run! Who the f$k do they think they are telling me what software I can run on MY machine!!! Talk about chutzpah!

Here's the transcript of my tech support and customer support chats:

tech support

Please wait while we find a technician to assist you...

You have been connected to Philip Pennington.

Philip Pennington: Hugh, thank you for contacting McAfee Online Support Center. How can I assist you with your McAfee software today?

Hugh Winters: Hi there!

Hugh Winters: I got this new version of VirusScan 10 I think and it is giving me problems.

Hugh Winters: The deal is that I get this little nag dialog in my systray telling me to fix problems with my configuration.

Hugh Winters: But I don't want to use McAfee for a firewall.

Hugh Winters: How do I stop this nag popup??

Hugh Winters: It also doesn't like being on the same machine with Ad-Aware spyware remover.

Hugh Winters: but I do!

Hugh Winters: How can I configure this new build to accept my directives without nagging me??

Hugh Winters: hello?

Philip Pennington: Hugh, I am with you.

Hugh Winters: OK

Philip Pennington: We cannot install McAfee latest version with Ad-Aware program installed.

Philip Pennington: You need to uninstall that and then install the McAfee to resolve the issue.

Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....

Network connection re-established.

Hugh Winters: Are you telling me that VirusScan is incompatible with a competitors product and that I need to remove the competitor's product?

Philip Pennington: Yes Hugh, you need to uninstall the Ad-Aware program before installing the McAfee.

Hugh Winters: can i then install ad-aware?

Philip Pennington: No Hugh, McAfee VirusScan cannot be installed with Ad-Aware installed on your computer.

Hugh Winters: Who the f*&^%k do you people think you are to force the most popular spyware remover application off of my machine?

Hugh Winters: Maybe you should just authorize an RMA for me so that I can get my money back on my last subscription of VirusScan.

Hugh Winters: I'm not going to pay you people to decide what software I can run or not!

Philip Pennington: Yes, I am with you.

Philip Pennington: Hugh, regarding the refund, please contact our McAfee Customer Service Center.

Philip Pennington: Could you please tell me the country you are in?

customer service 1

Please wait while we find a customer service representative to assist you...

You have been connected to Sharon Kelly.

Sharon Kelly: Thank you for contacting McAfee customer service. How may I help you today?

Hugh Winters: I want to get a refund for my last VirusScan subscription as I want to uninstall the product.

Sharon Kelly: One moment please, while I look up your account details. I appreciate your patience.

Sharon Kelly: Hugh, I see that you have valid McAfee products registered under the e-mail address {email address removed by Admin!} .

Hugh Winters: yes

Sharon Kelly: Hugh, It is not possible to issue a refund as you are outside the refund period.

Hugh Winters: Well, your company reset my refund period when the latest version of your product took over my machine and insisted that I uninstall other competing products (namely Ad-Aware -spyware scanner) in order for it to run.

Hugh Winters: Your latest version 10 is not the product I bought.

Hugh Winters: You have made your product unusable on my machine!

Hugh Winters: and I have to uninstall it in order for my machine to run as intended.

Hugh Winters: Why should I have to pay for a subscription that I can't use because of changes your people made to your product????

Sharon Kelly: As per our terms and conditions, we guarantee that McAfee Customer Services subscriptions will make your computer more secure. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, we offer a full refund within 30 days of purchase. However, you are now outside that 30-day time frame. It is also our policy that we do not provide partial refunds.

Hugh Winters: Your product has changed itself on my computer. I did not request the change. It downloaded a new incompatible version of itself. If I have to sue in small claims court and forward this to the attorneys general of the state of California I will.

Hugh Winters: Who in the f$^#&k do you people think you are telling me what software I can run on my machine???!!!

Hugh Winters: If your company is not willing to sell me the software I bought then give me my money back so I can buy some from someone who will!

Sharon Kelly: Please give me a moment to research your issue. Thank you for your patience.

Sharon Kelly: I appreciate your patience, but I am unable to address this issue. May I place you on hold while I escalate your chat?

Hugh Winters: sure

customer service 2

Please wait while we find an agent from the CS-McAfee Tier2 Escalations department to assist you.

You have been connected to Marc Robinson.

Marc Robinson: Thank you for contacting McAfee Tier 2 Escalations Department. Please give a moment to review your session with the previous agent.

Marc Robinson: Hugh, I would like to first of all apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused you. I will be happy to assist you in resolving your concern.

Hugh Winters: How can you help me?

Marc Robinson: If I understand you correctly Hugh, you want refund for your purchase of McAfee VirusScan Plus subscription?

Hugh Winters: yes. I want that because your latest build of the product is not the product I bought. Version 10 has taken over my machine and has insisted that I uninstall other competing products in order for it to run and it also keeps alerting me to change settings that I wish to keep. Your product has become too agressive and presumptuous. Had your product not changed itself I would have been happy to keep it.

Marc Robinson: Please excuse me for the wrong information I have provided.

Hugh Winters: What wrong information?

Marc Robinson: I mean to say if you wish to get a refund for McAfee VirusScan subscription that you have under {email address removed by Admin!} .

Marc Robinson: I have mentioned the product name wrongly in the beginning. I really apologize for that.

Hugh Winters: no problem

Marc Robinson: Thank you, Hugh.

Marc Robinson: I really understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Marc Robinson: Have you contacted our McAfee technical support department regarding this issue?

Hugh Winters: Yes. They referred me to you.

Hugh Winters: Here's the transcript of my conversation with them....

Hugh Winters: Please wait while we find a technician to assist you...

Hugh Winters: Hugh Winters: How can I configure this new build to accept my directives without nagging me??

Hugh Winters: Philip Pennington: We cannot install McAfee latest version with Ad-Aware program installed.

Hugh Winters: Philip Pennington: You need to uninstall that and then install the McAfee to resolve the issue.

Marc Robinson: Hugh, this is McAfee customer service. May I help you to contact McAfee technical support department who could help you in fixing this issue?

Hugh Winters: I was told there is no way to fix this issue and that I should contact customer service for my refund.

Hugh Winters: If you are unable to process my refund then escalate me to someone who can.

Marc Robinson: Hugh, I really apologize for the inconvenience you have faced.

Marc Robinson: Please give me a moment while I process your refund. I appreciate your patience.

Marc Robinson: As requested, we have refunded the charges of $19.99 for McAfee VirusScan subscription, which will be credited to your account within 3 - 5 working days, or before you receive your next credit card statement. Your reference number will be CS188443626.

Marc Robinson: Do you wish to turn off the auto renewal option of your McAfee VirusScan subscription so that you will not get billed in the future?

Hugh Winters: Thank you. If you fix your product I may decide to purchase it again.

Hugh Winters: yes

Hugh Winters: turn off my autorenewal

Marc Robinson: The McAfee Always on Protection feature for your McAfee VirusScan account under the e-mail address {email address removed by Admin!} has been cancelled. Your account will no longer be automatically renewed.

Hugh Winters: OK thanks!

Edited by LS CalamityJane

Thanks for sharing that Hugh,

I removed the email address from the text to protect your privacy

Many Ad-Aware/McAfee users are unhappy with this development. See this topic for instance (there are number of threads in here)

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=1207

This just posted in Lavasoft News and Events for a possible alternative:

News and Events Published 02 Aug 2006

Ad-Aware Blocked by McAfee Upgrade

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=2380

Thanks Hugh for sharing this with us!

I just had to laugh.........not at the situation but how you put things. I just love how you word things. lol

I say good riddance (that word doesn't look like I spelled it right...lol)....you can do much better! There are plenty of free programs out there that work just as well if not better, in my opinion. Such as AVG or Avast, to mention a couple.

That is nice that the company listed in the link that CalamityJane posted, is offering a discount for their product, altho I have to admit I have never heard of that AV.

Sign in to follow this