Sign in to follow this  
goughf

Connection error, check your settings

I have two computers, both with Ad-Adware free Anniversary Edition installed, both being updated at least twice a week, a day or so of each other. Both computers run idential XP operating systems and McAfee Internet Security.

Both computers are connected through the same network with a Linksys router. All other access to the internet works perfectly.

The laptop, which I use 20% of the time is fully able to connect to LavaSoft and get updates.

The desktop, which I use 80% of the time receives an immediate "connection error, check your settings." It does not even get a chance to access the internet.

Any ideas on why I cannot connect? Any chance spyware is involved?

Thanks for your help!

I have two computers, both with Ad-Adware free Anniversary Edition installed, both being updated at least twice a week, a day or so of each other. Both computers run idential XP operating systems and McAfee Internet Security.

Both computers are connected through the same network with a Linksys router. All other access to the internet works perfectly.

The laptop, which I use 20% of the time is fully able to connect to LavaSoft and get updates.

The desktop, which I use 80% of the time receives an immediate "connection error, check your settings." It does not even get a chance to access the internet.

Any ideas on why I cannot connect? Any chance spyware is involved?

Thanks for your help!

Tom, you are not alone... Many users with this issue I have 4 machines all running Vista with Adaware AE upgraded from 2008... One of them will not update (the one I upgraded today...) other 3 work fine. I can ping the update server just fine and updates run well with Admin rights UAC promt yes, when run via start menu... No baddies present. Running adaware AE with latest patches and def files along with AVAST AV fully up to date.

Many other posts to this effect in this forum and others on the net. Admins, what is the status, is this acknowledged as a bug and when should we see a fix? In the interim update from the option in the start menu as this works...

Edited by Kheldan

Yes, it can be a result of certain spyware infections (DNS changers particularly) but not always. You would likely have other symptoms or detections if this was due to an infected computer. If you suspect it might be an infection blocking the updates, start a new topic in the "Help I've been infected forum" using this instruction to post a diagnostic log for review

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=13639

It gets quite busy in that subforum so it might take a few days for one of our volunteers who analyze logs to get to it.

If you will do post a new topic there and want an analysis, please put the link to it back here and I'll take a look at it.

However, we also have some with clean computers reporting this updating problem and while we haven't been able to reproduce it (yet) or find the cause, the Lavasoft Staff is watching these threads to investigate possible reasons.

This is definitely not an infected system as it is almost a new fresh install.

Also spyware definitions do update fine via All Programs/Lavasoft/Ad-Aware Updates that launches AAWService.exe /forceupdate in the Start Menu... It will just not run from the application's Web Update or the task bar icon, right click update...

A ping to download.lavasoft.com returns 82.99.19.110 ip address which is the correct address if I'm not mistaken...

Truly bizarre as my other machines are running fine... Only difference I can think of is the machine that is not working is a Windows Vista Home Premium edition as the others are XP or Vista Ultimate...

Is the Application link and Task icon update maybe not running with the same /forceupdate option?

Please advise!

FYI, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware gives no errors as does AdAware that is running definitions 0146.0008 (up to date) following the update via start menu that works and is not giving off any indications of infection.

Edited by Kheldan

Kheldan

Yes, unless you suspect an infection, it may not be. That is only the case with some (and they pretty much see other symptoms rather than just the connection issue). We are seeing similar reports to yours on clean computers. What other security programs are you running? Only asking in case we can spot a common theme to try to reproduce the problem

Thanks for the quick response.

Currently aside from Avast, nothing! I removed everything else to run tests. I even tried adding all exe's in the Adaware folder to be allowed through the firewall (standard Vista one)... Based on the speed the error message arrives, I'm guessing it is not even going out (it pops up instanteneously) If ran via the start menu same update app comes up and runs just fine... really odd!

Funny thing is if I run the update through the Start menu I get the Vista UAC popup... but not through the task bar icon or the app itself... could be a permissions issue of some sorts.

:-)

Edited by Kheldan

Thanks for the quick response.

Currently aside from Avast, nothing! I removed everything else to run tests. I even tried adding all exe's in the Adaware folder to be allowed through the firewall (standard Vista one)... Based on the speed the error message arrives, I'm guessing it is not even going out (it pops up instanteneously) If ran via the start menu same update app comes up and runs just fine... really odd!

Funny thing is if I run the update through the Start menu I get the Vista UAC popup... but not through the task bar icon or the app itself... could be a permissions issue of some sorts.

:-)

Just installed and updated both Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both gave me a clean bill of health... definitly something going on with the update of AdWare.

Same issue here - VISTA Home premium edition Unable to update through opened program. UAC does not popup. Am able to access update through Start menu as the UAC permission screen pops up.

Similar problems here -- Vista Home Premium Edition, UAC disabled. Upgraded from 2008 which was upgraded from 2007. System has been thoroughly sweeped with whatever Windows Defender is called today, the Microsoft Live scanner, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and AVG anti-virus. Ping test works fine.

Easy workaround is to create a new shortcut in your menu.

Here's what my command line looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-AwareCommand.exe" update all

Then click to the security tab and select "Run as Administrator", Apply, OK, answer yes to all the security prompts.

Running it is now two steps -- launch the update, wait for it to do its thing, then launch the program -- but at least it'll get everyone going until the bug is squished.

Mike

Hi guys,

Currently the work around for this is to run the update programme from the start menu. You may need to run it as an administrator.

Currently the work around for this is to run the update programme from the start menu. You may need to run it as an administrator.

I had no update program listed in the start menu, except one from Ad-Aware 2007, with a broken link. And updating via the tray icon fails in the same way that updating from inside the main program does.

There's a reason I spent the time coming up with my own link! =)

My bad -- I thought I'd told it to put the Start Menu folder in a different area.

I do have the updater -- and it gets the same error message as when I run it internally, or run it from the tray icon.

So I'm going to keep my homemade shortcut, dangit, becuase it's the only thing that works. =)

Edited by Boogerhead

I am new to this forum, and struggle with troubleshooting issues. I also have the same problem as other posts, in that I have two computers running Ad-Aware anniversary edition, and one will update and the other won't. My desktop with Windows XP updates fine, but my laptop with Vista keeps giving me the "connection error, check your settings" error. Pretty sure I don't have any malware, etc. I also have not been able to update using start menu, so am looking for any help. Thanks in advance.

I am new to this forum, and struggle with troubleshooting issues. I also have the same problem as other posts, in that I have two computers running Ad-Aware anniversary edition, and one will update and the other won't. My desktop with Windows XP updates fine, but my laptop with Vista keeps giving me the "connection error, check your settings" error. Pretty sure I don't have any malware, etc. I also have not been able to update using start menu, so am looking for any help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks to Raziel for posting the "step by step" instructions for using the start menu option. I did get this to work for me.

My bad -- I thought I'd told it to put the Start Menu folder in a different area.

I do have the updater -- and it gets the same error message as when I run it internally, or run it from the tray icon.

So I'm going to keep my homemade shortcut, dangit, becuase it's the only thing that works. =)

Sorry, I missed that workaround.

I'm assuming you have plus or pro (as IIRC Command line is not available in Free) in which case the support centre will be able to help if you like (link in sig). Given any luck you'll be able to help them narrow down the problem too.

If you have this problem please read the information above to try and solve it.

If this does not fix it please START A NEW THREAD. Thanks.

solution from Rainbow girl

Hi

I guess I got the solution for the updating problem ("connection error, chek your settings").

I had Spybot on my computer - and Spybot cannot stand Ad-Aware! When I use its immunize feature it overwrites the hosts file (even makes it write-protected!), and one entry is lavasoftupdate.com - no wonder that from this time on the computer cannot access the Ad-Aware update. Even if I uninstall Spybot, the hosts file remains in place. So it is crucial to undo immunization before uninstalling Spybot.

A second point, which is not less important.

Why does a user uninstall Spybot?

I did it because somehow it was disabled...

What disables Spybot?

A visrus, worm or trojan...

Even if some programs may not find this malware, it is still there! So I recommend to read tthe following thread and follow the instructions, using ########and entering option 5, that is, removing dns-hijack.

This did the job for me.

Afterwards another quick look into the hosts file to make sure that it has no lavasoft entry any more, then system reboot, and Ad-Aware will be able to update!

I hope it helps. I would be very grateful for an e-mail feedback. Too bad that the topic http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=23752 is closed, I wanted to post this there.

Greetings,

Rainbow girl smile.gif

Mod.Edit/name of a risky program deleted/Raziel

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth