Sign in to follow this  
darksniperx

12 hour scan for 43000 files !

I find the new adware is was too slow.

I remember the se edition, tool just little bit over an hour for a full scan.

But this time I just have a clean install of win xp x64.

Is there a fix or a setting for this.

Thank you!

Hi :D

information about OS/installed security software is needed.

How much free RAM ?

Regards

Raziel ;)

Hi,

I have winxp x_64 fully up to date.

intel xeon e3110 3ghz

4gig ddr2 of 1020mhz ram

500 gig sata 32meg cash seagate hd.

Kaspersky 2009 internet security

thank you!

Hi,

It's the def file. Def 019 only took a couple of minutes for a smart scan to complete. Today I have def 020 and it is going to take hours. That is the only difference.

I hope the suggestion to disable security software is an attempt to pin-point a conflict and not to suggest a cure to the problem. If it's to cure the problem, that is rather unfortunate.

Edited by Boyce

With a fully up-to-date AE, I'm currently running a smart scan, after 1:50hr it has only scanned 7600 files... Anti-virus is disabled, not doing anything else besides typing this message. No other active security programs. Windows XP SP3, E8400, 2GB 800Mhz RAM (more than 2/3 free).

And there's no response to clicking Stop Scan. I have to close AE through the tray app.

And the scheduled task is still being recreated automatically...

Edited by Mike...

Hi Mike,

As I first reported above, it appears to be related to the def file. Def 019 was quick and def 020 was painfully slow. After recently downloading def 021, the scans are back to being quick again. Are you sure you are using def 021 with your most recent scan?

Must have just missed it. It is indeed working fine again with 21. Finished in mere minutes, about 40000 files. Stop Scan button works again as well.

What remains is that blasted Scheduled Task! Ahem...

Hi Mike,

Happy to read that the scanning time is back to normal with Def 021. Sorry, can't offer any suggestions for the scheduled task issue. Good luck with that.

The next time you get a new definition file and after Ad-Aware is back to normal (ready to scan), instead of doing a scan, close Ad-Aware and reopen it again. I have the same problem and this is how I get back to a "normal" fast scan.