• Announcements

• Andrew Browne

Support for other products than adaware, ad block and Web Companion

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bookmaker

Ad-Ware AE Update - Nothing happens after install

3 posts in this topic

I have spent a lot of time trying to update to adware 2008 AE. The program will download and install. I am ready to scan the machine so I click on the adware icon, a nice dialog box appears displaying "AdWare anniversary edtion" then it fades away and nothing more happens!

I have downloaded it numerous times, removed it serveral times but results are the same. With adware 2007 at least I was scanning my machine, but now nothing happens.

Have you seen this before?

Running XP SP3.

Thank you,

Mark

Windows XP SP 3 on a 2GHZ CPU with 1.5GB RAM running Zonealarm Pro, AVAST AV, Spybot S&D 6.2 with Teatimer (all these where disabled during installations)

After installing the ad-aware ae multiple times I noticed that the services control panel app in windows shows the aawservice as manual and that the ad-aware ae service doesn't have a file listed to run so that's why it won't work. I dug into the registry and searched for aawservice and found that [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\aawservice] is missing the "ImagePath" key that the other controlset's (controlset002 and controlset004, controlset001 didn't have a services branch) have. Since I changed the description key so I could find out which controlset was starting the aawservice I saw that controlset003 was the one my user login was controlling so I added the missing key and put in the path to the aawservice.exe and now the program runs.

After reading the above info I searched my registry for aawservice and found 3 listings

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\aawservice]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\aawservice]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Services\aawservice]

They all had the ImagePath key however two referenced: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Ware\aawservice.exe

while the third one read: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Ware 2007\aawservice.exe

I changed the value of the third key to match the other two, rebooted and now it works.

Before I installed Ad-Ware AE I had the 2007 version which I had deleted thru Control Panel/Add Programs prior to installing AE. Apparently this one value in the registry didn't get deleted with the un-install of 2007 or updated with the new install of AE or both.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0