Sign in to follow this  
Fortuna

ad-aware 2008 stopped working

Hey i have a free version of Ad-aware 2008 and everything woked fine untill today, when i brought down the latest update, when i wanted to start the program after the update had been completed. i ended up having an error 1814 (description: Could not login to service, are you running the application as another user, application terminates)

Now i was the only user at all using the pc at this point and i can asure you guys i werent running the application as another user.

So i opened the original setup i installed 2008 with and asked it to repair the program and it ran untill update manaul was completed then when i tried to start the program again it came with another error, this time it was both 1814 and an error called (Component:TForm error Message: Access violation at address 005CCEE2 in module "Ad-Aware.exe" Read of address 00000294

send this information to lavasoft support team (https://secure.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/) and also what you just did to help us track down this error. Ad-awware now terminates. EaccessViolation)

Now i wont do any more untill ive recieved your reply but if you wish to know, what im planning to do next is uninstall the program and reinstall it, if i can get to do this for the error 1920.

Regards:

Rune Haubjerg Lauridsen

I got the same "error 1814" after updating to V7.1.146.22 too. Actually, upon showing "completed update", it still shows V7.1.146.21 instead of .22. Before the said update, everything works fine on my Win.XP-SP2 PC with the 03/10/2009 patches.

I didn't do the Ad-aware repair as you indicated but did go back to last night's workable Restored point. No luck there. Could it be my unfinished Abobe Reader V9.1 update that causes that? I don't know.

Edited by Louis Kam

I am having the same (similar) issue. I can no longer run the program. This occured after an update. I am running Norton, but it has never been affected before.

In my services (Vista User here), I see that AAW is "starting", but I can not uninstall the program, or successfully install the AE version.

Please provide some guidance here, the program (starting) seems to chewing up resources and affecting the usability of the machine (believe me, Vista needs no further help with this)!

Yup. I got the same thing. On the first computer I just thought it was the computer's fault. But on the second it's ridiculous. What I've seen is that aawservice.exe spikes to 99% CPU and while not really chaging its memory usage. I think it just locks up.

My only resort is to reinstall Ad-Aware and not do the updates. (and no, I don't want to install the crap AE version)

Edited by Mr. Tom

Alright, so I am updating my first post here and updating with what i did to correct. Honestly, I posted before thinking ... isn't that what a newbie is supposed to do?

Here is my configuration:

Windows Vista

Ad-Aware 2008 (Free) installed

After updates it basically would not start the service and could not be uninstalled.

What I did to correct:

I started msconfig and stopped the lavasoft service from running (disabled)

Upon reboot (it is Windows after all), I was able to successfully uninstall Ad-Aware 2008

This allowed me to proceed as I wanted, which was to install Ad-Aware AE (Against Mr. Tom's advice)

Upon installation and the reboot it requires, all is working well again.

Hope this helps. Additionally, I find no fault with AE version, seems to be working well and plays nicely with Norton.

Simply Accounting 2008 and 2009 users can't open their program after updating the 03/10 Microsoft patches, particularly the latest Windows Defender. I'll restore my system to 03/09 to see if this is the culprit or not. Stay tune.

Restored my Win.XP-SP2 system to the earliest system point doesn't work. Maybe the latest Windows Defender has changed something permanently already. or maybe it is something else.

Same results for me after downloading recent update. Error 1814 and couldn't uninstall either. Followed instructions by Kfloss and was able to uninstal 2008 and then install AE. Wish I'd found this site three hours earlier and thank you so much KFloss for the tips.

I have experienced the same problem on my Windows Vista SP1 laptop. Also, after the update to Adaware my computer is using over 50% of memory. This memory consumption might be due to Spybot's Teatimer though... I just updated it today also.

Lavasoft let us know what we can do to fix this problem with Adaware 2008 Free!! Thanks! :)

Edited by coolperson987

Me too! But I'm a payer, so I created a trouble ticket. Isn't the usual gang of helpers around, or is this some Lavasoft holiday? :rolleyes:
I removed Ad-Aware 2008 Plus off my computer in a much more agonized decision chain. I discovered that aawservice.exe was running (and restarting itself), hogging 99% of CPU. Ironically, I blamed my main protection software product at first, because it was on automatic update and getting stuck there (not completing). It was, of course, grind between alien softwares all the time. I lost time by that mistaken identity. {dreadfully embarrassing, that! :) }

Solving a problem by replacing a software with a new version (such as Ad-Aware AE) goes against my intuition. I don't know what else comes aboard with it. So far LS has failed to make me desire the new stuff. I guess I would switch if they threatened to remove support for the 2008 product, or if they started beta testing yet another surpassing product. :)

No word from the capital of Swedish Melodic Death Metal yet. ;)

Edited by erniesparks

Got the same message as a lot of you got after updating 1814. I tried to uninstall so I could download again and it won't allow that. I tried to install a new version over the old and that does not work either. Any input will be helpful and appreciated.

Also rec'd error message after downloading most recent update....."1814 has occurred, could not log on to service, are you running this application as another user? application terminated" Unable to install old program or install new program.

hi all, i received the same error message after completing the update. i am at a loss as to what to do next

:o I have read a number of the posts at Lavasoft support and the problem seems to be quite common. Being a new poster, no previous issues with adaware, I am wondering when and if Lavasoft posts a recognition of the issue that is being delt with by so many users. I do not see any references to the issue of error 1814 on their web pages. Any ideas if Lavasoft is going to be able to help us computer novices with this issue?

hi guys,

unfortunately I don't have anything to help you at the moment. All I can say is that there are a few people reporting this (in several topics) and it appears to be after some update. So I have reported this to LS directly, but we'll see if anything comes of it.

Unfortunately, though, 2008 is now out-dated and i have a feeling the response might be to update to AE. But don't take that as Gospel, we'll have to wait and see. Hold tight.

Casey

P.S Those who do have a license please do email the support center team - this will help us escilate this problem to a higher priority.

Hey i have a free version of Ad-aware 2008 and everything woked fine untill today, when i brought down the latest update, when i wanted to start the program after the update had been completed. i ended up having an error 1814 (description: Could not login to service, are you running the application as another user, application terminates)

Now i was the only user at all using the pc at this point and i can asure you guys i werent running the application as another user.

So i opened the original setup i installed 2008 with and asked it to repair the program and it ran untill update manaul was completed then when i tried to start the program again it came with another error, this time it was both 1814 and an error called (Component:TForm error Message: Access violation at address 005CCEE2 in module "Ad-Aware.exe" Read of address 00000294

send this information to lavasoft support team (https://secure.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/) and also what you just did to help us track down this error. Ad-awware now terminates. EaccessViolation)

Now i wont do any more untill ive recieved your reply but if you wish to know, what im planning to do next is uninstall the program and reinstall it, if i can get to do this for the error 1920.

Regards:

Rune Haubjerg Lauridsen

Now I am getting the same thing, yesterday after downloading the update 03/11/09 the above smae errors are comming up, it was so bad that windows could not even uninstall ad-ware 2008. Whats going on with this ???

Hey everyone

Just posted the fix for this here:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=24343

Please let anyone else you see asking know :)

Kind Regards,

Jeff - Lavasoft

Hi Jeff,

I've never participated in this kind of forum, so hope I'm doing it right. I posted a reply under another thread also but about the same topic. I am also getting the 1814 and 1921 error codes after installing latest update. I looked at your fix, but cannot find any file named core.aawdef under Ad-Aware folder. I'm using Vista. What do I do?

Thanks,

Don Hartrich

I have the same problems as everyone else. The core aawdef file does not exist in my computer. I have tried uninstalling and repairing. I tried disabling through msconfig - the program does not appear. I also tries disabling through Control Panel>Administration>Services>Lavasoft - no luck with that either. Any more suggestions?

Re: my previous post, it looks like I have it disabled. I am running WindowsXP Pro-SP3.

I went to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Lavasoft

I scrolled to Lavasoft Ad-Aware and double-clicked on it. That opened Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service Properties. About half way down is the Startup Type box. I clicked the drop-down arrow and changed from Started to Disabled. I then restarted the computer. I noticed normal restart speed. I went back into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Lavasoft. The program now shows that it is disabled. That said, some applications seems faster, but I'm still not back to normal speed.

Now I am deciding whether to try the repair/uninstall again, or to wait and see whether Lavasoft comes up with another "fix."

I have the same problems as everyone else. The core aawdef file does not exist in my computer. I have tried uninstalling and repairing. I tried disabling through msconfig - the program does not appear. I also tries disabling through Control Panel>Administration>Services>Lavasoft - no luck with that either. Any more suggestions?

Success!

I finally found the core.aawdef file (my idiocy for not knowing how to search) and deleted it as recommended. I then installed Ad-Aware AE and it deleted the old version. When I chose to restart computer as recommended, the new download manager came up and downloaded a bunch of new files. The computer then restarted and everything works as it should. Thanks, Jeff for your help, sorry to be so stupid.

Don Hartrich

Success!

I finally found the core.aawdef file (my idiocy for not knowing how to search) and deleted it as recommended. I then installed Ad-Aware AE and it deleted the old version. When I chose to restart computer as recommended, the new download manager came up and downloaded a bunch of new files. The computer then restarted and everything works as it should. Thanks, Jeff for your help, sorry to be so stupid.

Don Hartrich

What OS version are you running? Where did you find the file? I tried Start>Search>Search for files and folders and could not locate it.

GOT IT!

I too found the file: (2000, XP) - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\core.aawdef.

I checked regidit>HKey:Local Machine>Software>Lavasoft, and found the file.

I went back to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users. I noticed that my Application Data file did not appear. I went to Tools>Folder Options>View, and scrolled a short way down to Hidden Files and Folders. I changed the selection to Show Hidden Files and Folders. My Application Data folder appeared. DUH! Why didn't I think of that in the first place?

I was then able to go into Lavasoft\Ad-Aware. The core.aawdef file was right there. I deleted it and restarted my computer.

After restart I tried to open Ad-Aware, but received an error message indicating that it was disabled. So, I went back to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Lavasoft. I double-clicked Lavasoft, and changed the drop-down selection back to Automatic.

I was then able to open Ad-Aware without a restart. I selected Update. A received a message to the effect Ad-Aware 2008 was updated. I tried to run a Smart Scan but was told that the scanner was busy. That happened a couple of times. I waited a few minutes, selected the scan function again, and I am running a Smart Scan as I type this. If I encounter further issues, I will re-post. Otherwise it looks I am good to go.

Thanks, LS Jeffrey for the fix, and and Don Hartrich for "turning the little light" in my brain back on. I hope this helps.

I started msconfig and stopped the lavasoft service from running (disabled)

Upon reboot (it is Windows after all), I was able to successfully uninstall Ad-Aware 2008

This allowed me to proceed as I wanted, which was to install Ad-Aware AE (Against Mr. Tom's advice)

Good luck with the AE version. The first time I installed it I got a BSOD. After running it for a while I got a spam popup near the system tray from Ad-Aware telling be about some Valentine's junk they were promoting last month. Now we need an ad removal program to remove the ads from Ad-Aware AE.

Sign in to follow this