Sign in to follow this  
Fortuna

ad-aware 2008 stopped working

Recommended Posts

Guess the question is, once you get Ad-Aware 2008 back up and running after deleting the bad file or removing and reinstalling it, is it ok to update to current file def? Or leave it alone till the ok is giving by the techs here?

 

I had to end up using a stand alone program to remove 2008 and install it back but it was with a install file from November of 08, so atm it's not up to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See post above: I got it to update and run without any problems. However, it still seemed to being slowing my system down. So, I went back into Contol Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Lavasoft and changed from Automatic to Manual. After a restart things seemed somewhat better, but the computer still get short hang-ups. I'm Disabled it again, and it seems to have helped. I guess that in order to use it, I'll have to disable, then enable, then...but if that's the case, and Lavasoft doesn't come upi with a fix, I'll just try to remove it. based on what most others are saying about Ad-Aware AE, that will probably be goodbye to Lavasoft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi same problem here im not real effecient on the computer so could some one explain to me how to find the file i need to delete. do i just go to search and put in the file name ? that hasnt worked for me. i have xp version. thanks,jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The def file does exist. The easiest way to find it is to search by right clicking start and then copy the file name in the "address" box.

However, I'm having the same scan problem someone else had... the scan won't start. I have XP and will tryagain now that it's been a few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you would look at the post Jeffery posted, he explains of where to find the file and remove it. Once you do Ad-2008 will restart and you can update to the current file def. I did this and everything is back to normal. Just to be sure I used another pc to test the program and it went well.

 

Now on a pc before this one, I deleted the file because windows uninstaller in add/remove programs would not remove Ad-Aware 2008, once the files were deleted then I used add/remove programs to get rid of any left overs. Then re-installed Ad-Aware 2008, used the updater in the program and all went well.

 

Thanks Tech's for helping so fast.

 

 

 

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=24343

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, Finally, I think...It look's good so far..

 

I still had problems with speed and the machine"hanging up" unless I disabled the program. I went back in to Start>regedit>H_Key>Local Machine>Software>Lavasoft>AdAware, and found a defpath key. Under the Data heading was: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\core.aawdef. I deleted that registry key. I rebooted, went back to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Lavasoft. I double-clicked Lavasoft, and changed the drop-down selection back to Automatic, then rebooted again. I verified that Ad-Aware 200 would initialize, update, and scan. Just for good measure, I ran CCleaner, disk cleanup and defragged. Everything seems back to normal. Speed is good, no hangups, even when running multiple programs, and I still have single core processor. Good luck, everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for those with XP, see my note several places up.

I did not put core.aawdef in the search line because it came up when I put the rest of the address in the search line.

I deleted the core.aawdef, then couldn't start the scan... waited a bit, like someone else suggested, now it's running and I think everything is okay. I have adaware 2008. This is the first time a forum answered my problem so I'm satisfied that what was suggested by lavasoft and what I did worked. Adios!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this