Sign in to follow this  
annalindsay

Ad-Aware SE Personal vs. Ad-Aware Anniversary edition

Hi... Having FINALLY got our internet connection back (after 3 months!) I went to update my Ad-Aware SE Personal definitions... and discovered that I can't.

HOWEVER, instead of finding any upgrade button, I downloaded the full (free) edition of the Ad-Aware Anniversary edition. But I notice that whereas my SE Personal version only took up 2.68 MB, this new version takes up over TWENTY times as much space on my poor little computer memory - 47.72MB to be precise!!! Surely that can't be right? What have I done wrong???

Please... HELP!!!! Urgent! :(:o

Hi,

Yes, that sort of size is correct. Ad-Aware AE is much more advanced than SE (that is why SE has expired). Of course, with this you have to pay the price of more hard drive space and memory.

Casey

Hi,

Yes, that sort of size is correct. Ad-Aware AE is much more advanced than SE (that is why SE has expired). Of course, with this you have to pay the price of more hard drive space and memory.

Casey

But that's disastrous!!! This computer doesn't HAVE that hard drive space or memory!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure::o:huh: :angry: :o:unsure: Wail!!!!!!!!!!

I think you'll find that SE took up a little more space than the original file you downloaded, due to the rapid increase in definitions file size in response the recent almost exponential growth in malware!

I still have SE installed (now why haven't I uninstalled it!!?) and the folder is about 6MB. And that's with a defintions file 10 months older than the final one.

If you're going to make valid comparisons, then you should compare how big the actual directory is after the program is installed, along with the definitions file and not just the size of the original program you downloaded!

If you're using an older machine, and you need something with lower hardware requirements and a smaller footprint then maybe one of the following products would be more suitable for you:-

Sign in to follow this