Sign in to follow this  
wordmaster

Splash screen comes up, but does not start

I am running windows 2000 pro, SP4, rollup 1 and have Adaware Anniversary Edition installed. When I try to start Adaware, the splash screen comes up, shows "loading", stays up about 20 seconds, then just fades away and nothing happens. No error notice, just nothing. Task manager does not show Adaware running.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Hi-

Me too, I have had the same problems for some few days now.

I had installed this program on another computer some few weeks back and it loads and functions well without any trouble. This week I installed it on another machine but now just have the splash screen come up for about 20 seconds and then it just fades away without it starting. I am using the latest windows XP3.

Yup, any help with this matter will be good.

cheers,

PG49

I have the EXACT same problem. Splash screen displays but Ad-Aware AE does not start.

Ad-Aware Pro use to load fine and run with no problems.

Windows XP Pro

Mcafee Virus Protection

Windows firewall

Hi,

Please go Start>Run>"services.msc" (without the quotes) and look for "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service".

Ensure this is started.

Thanks, GoddersUK.

Hi -

Thanks for the advice. Did as you suggested and my service was 'on'.

Went into the system afterward and made sure everything to do with ad-aware was removed from the hard drives . Then downloaded the program again. Still no luck whatsoever.

Have given up for the moment after several days of trying and so now use another spyware program at least until this one smartens up.

Thanks for the help anyways,

PG49

I also have the same problem, on a just new installation

I have the EXACT same problem. Splash screen displays 20 seconds but Ad-Aware AE does not start.

Ad-Aware annv. edition has never run.

Windows XP

Mcafee Virus Protection

Windows firewall

Is there anyone at lavasoft, or is this just poor users interacting on a forum?

Not a happy camper!

Hello,

I do hope this response is fully appropriate. I have Ad Aware AE Free installed on my MS XP Pro laptop; and, it seems to work well.

I found a sort of variant with the splash screen situation. I have been checking out alternate ways to deal with it.

More precisely:

1) When I start up Ad Aware AE Free, either from program listings or from my desktop, I get the full splash screen and the full use of the program. So there I do not have a problem.

2) When I do an update through the full splash screen, via the update button, I get the meters which are to show what is happening.

3) If there is a large update, I see both the meter showing the download, as well as the meter showing the "Overall Progress" being used. If the update is small, then I never see the "Overall Progress" bar do anything. Once the update has been loaded and installed, the progress meter disappears.

4) Then the full splash screen disappears, only to have a part of the splash screen appear, stating that Ad Aware is re-initializing. This implies that Ad Aware is about to restart, and I should soon see the full screen again. Instead, the screen disappears right after initialization.

5) I started checking out whether a similar thing would occur if I used the icon which is in my tray. I discovered that if I use it to start up the full Ad Aware, then the same thing occurs as before. If I only activate the update feature, then the meter screen appears;

6) When the meter screen appears this time, the same happens as before, except, the statement of re-initialization is there, after the download and installation. Once the re-initialization seems to be finished, the meter disappears.

My questions are as follows:

1) Why would the splash screen first disappear, then not fully reappear after re-initialization?

2) Should not the "Overall Progress" meter always be used?

I realize what I have asked may not be a bug, but just something not coded. Mostly curious.

Thanks for a great product, great efforts, and great work; and, thanks, in advance, for answers.

Regards,

Amigan_1

Sign in to follow this