Sign in to follow this  
petesky1

Cannot connect to update after udating to today's AE version 8.0.4

I wonder if this is happening with the paid versions also? If not maybe that explains the seeming uninterest in fixing the problem.

Sure... you can download from this link.....

Filehippo

Good luck

PS : Obviously uninstall Anniversary Edition and reinstall 2008

Greets

Miguel Angel :lol:

I tried the Filehippo version and it wasn't right. I ended up downloading from the MajorGeeks site. Eventually I had to uninstall the 2008 version when it began to have issues with my Norton virus program.

Ok so today there was a new definition released (0148.0017). I did the procedure I described below (replacing the 8.0.4 AAWService.exe with the older one from 8.0.3) and it updated to the new definition file. It naturally also updated the AAWService.exe file back to the 8.0.4 version and rebroke the update but until Lavasoft fixes this atleast I can "easily" ensure my AdAware remains current and up to date...

Is this issue acknowledged by Lavasoft and being looked into?

Thanks and I hope this helps,

Kheldan

Hi Kheldan,

That resolution sounds like a reasonable way to update until they fix the problem. However, I'm not quite sure how to find a copy of the previous version of the AAWService.exe file? It's possible it's not retained on my computer at this point. Is there somewhere that file can be downloaded? Thanks for finding a "fix" for the problem.

I'm not 100% sure I should tell you this and I'm not 100% sure it's gonna work, but I think I'd rather you did this than download from some website since we cannot verify the authenticity that way.

Navigate to

• (Vista) C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update
  • (XP)C:\Application Data\All Users\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update

and you will find back ups of all the files which have ever been written over (i.e. the older versions).

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

I'm not 100% sure I should tell you this and I'm not 100% sure it's gonna work, but I think I'd rather you did this than download from some website since we cannot verify the authenticity that way.

Navigate to

• (Vista) C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update
  • (XP)C:\Application Data\All Users\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update

and you will find back ups of all the files which have ever been written over (i.e. the older versions).

Casey

As Casey Boy mentioned OR if you`re running VISTA Ultimate, it keeps Shadow Copies of replaced files (not sure about other versions of Vista but Ultimate does). You can go to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware and right click on AAWService.exe select properties in popup menu and the Previous Versions tab. Right click on the file and save a copy to desktop. Then ensure the AdAware Service is stopped, rename the current AAWService.exe file (as a backup and safety AAWService.BAK) copy the one on the desktop into the C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware folder. Restart the service and then start AdAware. Click on Update and voila it will now update all the files *including the AAWService.exe file thus rebreaking the update process but also bringing the defs up to date! :-) To rerun simply repeat the process....

It looks difficult like this but really isn`t if you`re comfprtable with copying files and stopping/starting services... :lol:

As Casey Boy mentioned OR if you`re running VISTA Ultimate, it keeps Shadow Copies of replaced files (not sure about other versions of Vista but Ultimate does). You can go to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware and right click on AAWService.exe select properties in popup menu and the Previous Versions tab. Right click on the file and save a copy to desktop. Then ensure the AdAware Service is stopped, rename the current AAWService.exe file (as a backup and safety AAWService.BAK) copy the one on the desktop into the C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware folder. Restart the service and then start AdAware. Click on Update and voila it will now update all the files *including the AAWService.exe file thus rebreaking the update process but also bringing the defs up to date! :-) To rerun simply repeat the process....

It looks difficult like this but really isn`t if you`re comfprtable with copying files and stopping/starting services... :lol:

So I've tried what is suggested, and get to the previous versions tab. However, once I get there, it states that there are no previous versions available. I'm not sure if this gets cleaned out when I run programs like 12Ghosts wash, or if it's because of my version of Vista. Regardless - no previous version. Is there somewhere to download it from?

I found an easier short term solution for this problem.

I didn't find previous versions of AAWService.exe and Ad-AwareAdmin.exe available.

But I have changed the current versions of these files, setting the Compatibility mode to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP"

Works perfect and you don't need to replace files.

You go to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware and right click on AAWService.exe, select properties in popup menu and the Compatibility tab.

Do the same for Ad-AwareAdmin.exe and you will be able to update from the icon tray either.

Well Kheldan's procedure did the trick!.. I didn't have a shadowed backup, nor could I locate it via casey_boys suggested directory, but after a good samaritan e-mailed me a copy of the previous version of the AAWService.exe file (march 9/09 signature), I was able to:

-> Shut down Ad-Aware

-> "Stop" the Lavasoft Ad-Aware service through the services menu

-> Overwrite the updated AAWService.exe file with the previous version (which I had saved in a different directory... copy 'n paste)

-> "Start" the Lavasoft Ad-Aware service through the services menu

-> Start up Ad-Aware and web update as normal

Of course, once updated, the old glitch comes back since Lavasoft has not addressed this issue, but at least I'm dealing with an up-to-date version as far as scanning my system for malicious files is concerned.. And I'm assuming that once Lavasoft DOES fix this error, that it will automatically be corrected on my end with one of these updates.

...Maybe they'll also fix the "error" of a Lavasoft Ad POP-UP??? I find it ironic that a program protecting us from such events is now doing the same thing.

ps. Lavasoft, I don't need a pop-up to remind me to buy my mom flowers for mothers day by the way.....

Thanks again Kheldan for finding a solution to this annoying update problem!!

I didn't find previous versions of AAWService.exe and Ad-AwareAdmin.exe available.

But I have changed the current versions of these files, setting the Compatibility mode to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP"

You go to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware and right click on AAWService.exe, select properties in popup menu and the Compatibility tab.

Do the same for Ad-AwareAdmin.exe and you will be able to update from the icon tray either.

Tried this method, was able to run update from the Start Menu option but got the same error from main window of AdAware and the tray icon... only the start menu method worked this way... I changed the compatibility settings of both AAWService.exe and Ad-AwareAdmin.exe to Windows XP SP2.

Thanks for the heads-up,

Kheldan

Edited by Kheldan

Yep this seemed to do the trick too. The only difference I noticed is that Vista still asks for program permission when I would click on web update, but at least this time there would be no connection error - it just downloaded as it should. Fairly easy to do in the interim until Lavasoft fixes the glitch and includes the patch in an update.

Hi :D

@petesky

are you able to update manually ?

what other security software is installed ?

@ThanksLavasoft

plz disable Norton ( Symantec ) and try it again.

you should also have a look to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

regards

Raziel :P

LS staff will have a look into, sorry for the inconveniences

Why do you need all that space wasting/time wasting stuff on your post?

@lav101: Please do not shout or your posts will be edited or deleted, especially if, like this one, they are completely irrelevant.

I would suggest that you take the time to carefully read the forum rules: Forum Rules - Please read before posting! There is a section which states what can and can't go into a signature - Raziel's fits the criteria. If you don't want to read it, skip over it... :o

Edited by spike-nz
To remove "shouting - totally irrelevant post

Having advance notice that this was a major update (as opposed to just a def update) so that user could deactivate FW and AV settings in advance may have prevented some of these update problems.

Edited by maf23

yeah, can Lavasoft look into this new version 8.0.4

This must be some sort of glitch of the new version like how pete said.

I been using Lavasoft even back then in my XP days, and it all work fine, and it still work fine with my new Vista until today morning when I was told to update to the 8.0.4 version.

I have experienced a complete failure after updating AE version. So far no correction has been made availble expect by a service guy who wants $27 upfront. I was told this service should be free, but....

This is really frustrating to buy a bug-fix software only to be the biggest bug I have.

Andy

@ Andy,

If you have paid for Ad-Aware then you do not need to pay for support. You can log into the support center and fire off an email to the support team. If you are using the Free version, then yes you will need to upgrade first or use these forums for support.

Lavasoft are well aware of this update problem and are trying to fix it.

Casey

I'm having this same problem, using XP SP3. I just reinstalled the entire program, and after the initial update this happens yet again... so, it's obviously not a firewall / antivirus issue...

this doesn't work for me, because i'm using XPsp3 allready.

Hi guys, for first sorry for my english ;)

So when Lavasoft will repair this update issue? It's longer than week and still nothing is happen, no new version, no official statement from development team.

I have got these problems with Ad-Aware AE Free after update to 8.0.4:

1. I can't update from application GUI, if I press update button, nothing happens, only way which works is start->programs->lavasoft->ad-aware updates...

2. tray icon disappear, aawtray.exe is not in processes

I uninstalled ad-aware, delete folders in program files and all users/application data and clean registry with Ccleaner. Than I download Ad-AwareAE.exe from lavasoft pages (via Download.com). Install this ad-aware version 8.0.0 and everything is OK - tray icon is on, update button works. If i press update button, starts downloading of updates like coreaaw.exe, definition files, and many files with -izma in the end of name. After update ad-aware restart itself and the problem is back, no icon, no update.

I have this programs: Win XP professional SP3, avast! home 4.8, Ad-Aware AE Free, windows firewall only.

I have the same problems described above (and even more) after updating Ad-Aware Free AE to version 8.0.4. I'll detail them futher:

1. I cannot update from within the program. When I click the Web Update icon in the Main Status window of the GUI, the Update Manager doesn't start, and nothing happens. However, the Update Manager still can be run from the Start menu - Start -> Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> Ad-Aware Updates

2. Ad-Aware tray icon doesn't appear anymore in the system tray when the windows start, and it doesn't appear even if I open Ad-Aware. AAWTray.exe never appears in the processes list of Windows task manager. Only AAWservice.exe appears in this list, but only after running Ad-Aware (Ad-Aware.exe), it doesn't start with Windows even though it is set as Automatic under Startup Type column of the "Services" management console. This didn't happen in previous Ad-Aware Free AE versions.

Important Side note for future versions: It would be nice in future versions of Ad-Aware, for those who don't use any Ad-Watch Live! Modules if both Ad-Aware tray icon (AAWtray.exe) and AAWservice.exe didn't start automatically with Windows and if they would stop running as long as Ad-Aware.exe was not running and Ad-Watch Live! was turned off. That way we wouldn't have to keep using services.msc command and Autorun manager tools to fix this ;)

3. I cannot turn on the Processes protection module of Ad-Watch Live!, which I could in previous versions of Ad-Aware Free AE.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Ad-Aware Version: Ad-Aware Free Anniversary Edition version 8.0.4

Firewall software: Only the default Windows Firewall

Update.log

Edited by Porthus

I've been running Ad-Aware for many years now without problem, and upgraded to Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition when it came out. I've downloaded today's update to version 8.0.4 and now updating causes a connection error.

I'm running windows Vista. Previously when I would update, I wouldn't have to grant permission through windows. With the latest version, clicking "web update" causes Vista to ask for Lavasoft Administrator Tool program permission -> I click "continue" -> Ad-aware update window pops up -> error window pops up stating "Connection error, check your settings"

- I've turned off firewall and no change

- I've tried to update using the Start -> Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> Ad-Aware Updates and no change

Any suggestions? Is this possibly a glitch with the new version?

Same problem. I also could not update the defs manually, so I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. Then I at least had the most recents defs, but still get the "connection error" message when checking for updates. Is anybody else with this same problem using a combination of Vista (32), Symantec Endpoint, AA-AE, Spyware Blaster & Spybot S&D? I have this same combo on several other computers with XP (32) OS as the only difference - those machines do not have this problem, so I suspect it is Vista-related.

2. Ad-Aware tray icon doesn't appear anymore in the system tray when the windows start, and it doesn't appear even if I open Ad-Aware. AAWTray.exe never appears in the processes list of Windows task manager. Only AAWservice.exe appears in this list, but only after running Ad-Aware (Ad-Aware.exe), it doesn't start with Windows even though it is set as Automatic under Startup Type column of the "Services" management console. This didn't happen in previous Ad-Aware Free AE versions.

3. I cannot turn on the Processes protection module of Ad-Watch Live!, which I could in previous versions of Ad-Aware Free AE.

After I tried (with no success) to turn on the Processes protection module of Ad-Watch Live!, only in the next Windows boot Ad-Aware tray icon finally appeared in the system tray, and both AAWTray.exe and AAWservice.exe appeared in the processes list of Windows task manager, just because Ad-Watch Live! (Processes protection module) was now enabled, it was automatically enabled during next Windows boot.

Upon right-clicking the Ad-Aware tray icon and selecting 'Update' it showed the Error "Failed to start update".

If I then disable all Ad-Watch Live! modules and reboot Windows, everything returns to what I described on 2.

*EDIT*: In other words, in order for the Ad-Aware tray icon to appear in the system tray I need to both enable Ad-Watch Live! (Processes protection module) and reboot Windows. If I turn on Ad-Watch Live! (Processes protection module) but don't reboot Windows, Ad-Aware tray icon doesn't appear (AAWtray.exe doesn't run) and I don't know whether I have any real-time protection or not.

The problem described on 3. seemed to have gone in the following Windows boots. Problem 1 remains.

Edited by Porthus

I have the same problems described above (and even more) after updating Ad-Aware Free AE to version 8.0.4. I'll detail them futher:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Ad-Aware Version: Ad-Aware Free Anniversary Edition version 8.0.4

Firewall software: Only the default Windows Firewall

Porthus, I had an idea until I reread your post and noticed your system specs. Now it leaves me with a couple of questions for you:

1) Do you have all of the Windows Updates installed and if so do they include the .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework Visual C++ Runtime?

2) Do you have Windows Defender installed?

You're right, something doesn't sound right there. Both AAWTray.exe and the Ad-Aware service are shown as running on my system prior to running Ad-Aware. Once Ad-Aware is started then Ad-Aware.exe shows up in the processes. The only difference is that I'm running Vista HP SP1 and you're running XP. I'm going to try to install AA on my XP system shortly to see what kind of results I get.

Hello,

I have a similar webupdate problem. After updating to version 8.0.4 I can no longer use the webupdate function. I have been downloading the definition file and importing it since then.

The thing is, I'm running WinXP SP3 not Vista. Also I use AVG for virus protection and Spybot search and destroy and Zone Alarm for a firewall. I have not changed any settings so this is a bit confusing. I went through all the settings just in case something strange happened.

Just for the heck of it I reinstalled everything as was before updating to 8.0.4. Ad-Aware webupdate worked just fine when I did.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

V

Edited by Violated

Violated (and any other XP users getting the Update error),

What are your answers to the questions that I asked Porthus, namely:

1) Do you have all of the Windows Updates installed and if so do they include the .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework Visual C++ Runtime?

2) Do you have Windows Defender installed and active?

3) What other security programs do you have installed? Violated, I see yours but you can include them again if you want. Porthus, do you have any other security like Spybot installed?

For Vista users getting the error,

2) Do you have Windows Defender active?

3) What other security programs do you have installed?

I made a distinction in question 2 because Vista comes with Defender.

I'm able to update AA via the Web Update button (the globe) under Vista HP SP1. However, I have Defender disabled and I had to reinstall Ad-Aware after doing an uninstall/reinstall of the .NET Framework last month. I should note though that I was unable to start AA at all before doing the reinstall (I posted in the side-by-side thread about that). I do get the UAC prompt when using the Web Update button so I'm not sure if it will still auto-update by itself at this point.

Sign in to follow this