Sign in to follow this  
petesky1

Cannot connect to update after udating to today's AE version 8.0.4

My OS is Windows XP and I have never encountered the file Ad-AwareAdmin.exe in my system. Is this file exclusive to Vista users?

No, Ad-AwareAdmin.exe should be located in the C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware folder on both Vista and XP.

Edit: There is also another copy of Ad-AwareAdmin.exe in C:\Program Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update on Vista and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update on XP (or at least that's where they are on my systems).

MOD EDIT: This is a back-up file only and you do not need to change the permissions on it. Casey

Edited by casey_boy

I've been running Ad-Aware for many years now without problem, and upgraded to Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition when it came out. I've downloaded today's update to version 8.0.4 and now updating causes a connection error.

I'm running windows Vista. Previously when I would update, I wouldn't have to grant permission through windows. With the latest version, clicking "web update" causes Vista to ask for Lavasoft Administrator Tool program permission -> I click "continue" -> Ad-aware update window pops up -> error window pops up stating "Connection error, check your settings"

- I've turned off firewall and no change

- I've tried to update using the Start -> Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> Ad-Aware Updates and no change

Any suggestions? Is this possibly a glitch with the new version?

I've been having the same problems with the web update for the last week or so. I'm running Vista Business Edition. The problem seemed to have started when I installed version 8.0.4. I've tried some of the work arounds that I've seen on the forum and they didn't help. However, I tried turning my User Account Control back on (I'd disabled it because of problems I'd been having with Adobe Standard) and low and behold the wed update works fine again. As the standard way to run Vista is with UAC turned on, maybe this is why Lavasoft can't reproduce a problem so many of us seem to have experienced.

Two weeks with this problem and still no solution. Are employees morons, if they aren't able to solve this issue in few days? Lavasoft must be crazy. :)

To all,

I too am having the same issues, since upgrading to 8.04 (xp pro sp3), the web update function seems to no longer work and the ad watch systray no longer loads. I did a number of things, like re-install etc.

I just did something that no one has mention of trying:

1. go to start button -> program files

2. select lavasoft and slide over to ad-Aware

3. select "Ad-Aware Updates"

and guess what within 30-35 seconds the update manager pops up and begin to down today's definitions update. Upon a reboot ad-watch then comes back online in the systray.

I looked into the Ad-aware update properties, this it the switch that is in there: "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe" /forceupdate

BTW, my web update button in the main program still does not work and neither does the ad-watch systray Update function but I have repeated this process and I have gotten the updates successfully or at least the message that the definition is the latest.

Enjoy, If this solves your problem in the interim.

Utrying2.

To all,

I too am having the same issues, since upgrading to 8.04 (xp pro sp3), the web update function seems to no longer work and the ad watch systray no longer loads. I did a number of things, like re-install etc.

I just did something that no one has mention of trying:

1. go to start button -> program files

2. select lavasoft and slide over to ad-Aware

3. select "Ad-Aware Updates"

and guess what within 30-35 seconds the update manager pops up and begin to down today's definitions update. Upon a reboot ad-watch then comes back online in the systray.

I looked into the Ad-aware update properties, this it the switch that is in there: "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe" /forceupdate

BTW, my web update button in the main program still does not work and neither does the ad-watch systray Update function but I have repeated this process and I have gotten the updates successfully or at least the message that the definition is the latest.

Enjoy, If this solves your problem in the interim.

Utrying2.

HI thx for the reply and trying to help i tried to do what you said and i have tried the programs and tried to update from there before still didnot work got the connection error box popped up again this is very frustrating i wish they could come up with a fix for this problem it really is not worth the trouble i keep going thru to try and get this right i am not going to manually update the thing either i f they do not fix the problem i guess i will just get rid of the program once again thx for you help peace outtt ;)

Edited by casey_boy

I've been having the same problems with the web update for the last week or so. I'm running Vista Business Edition. The problem seemed to have started when I installed version 8.0.4. I've tried some of the work arounds that I've seen on the forum and they didn't help. However, I tried turning my User Account Control back on (I'd disabled it because of problems I'd been having with Adobe Standard) and low and behold the wed update works fine again. As the standard way to run Vista is with UAC turned on, maybe this is why Lavasoft can't reproduce a problem so many of us seem to have experienced.

HI i read your post on what you did to get your updates. Well my user control had to be turned off in order to get the updates to work, via my programs/lavasoft/ad-aware/ad-aware updates/ The program updated that way, but still will not work thru the web update button on the program itself, so what i did i went back in and turned the control back on, and tried to update again and got the error message back!!! So what i will have to do is everytime i need to update follow those steps, turning user account control off then rebooting then proceed doing the update then going back and turning it on again rebooting. Lot of hassle but at least i found the way to get the updates. Hopefully lavasoft can come up with a fix for this problem. Thank you for your info was a big help... ;)

i am not going to manually update the thing either i f they do not fix the problem
what i will have to do is everytime i need to update follow those steps, turning user account control off then rebooting then proceed doing the update then going back and turning it on again rebooting. Lot of hassle but at least i found the way to get the updates.

I think it's easier to manually update the definitions. No changing configuration and no rebooting:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry103322

i updated manualy from 8.04 to 8.05 but the auto-web update is still not possible !

it's unbeliveable that lavasoft can't fix such a simple problem.

i have never experienced a simular problem with another software.

i updated manualy from 8.04 to 8.05 but the auto-web update is still not possible !

They didn't say it was fixed:

Below are the updates made by the 8.0.5 update:

Released May 27, 2009

1) Updates to Japanese Language.

2) Added error messages to log files when having a connection error.

3) Added error message for failure to connect to service.

4) Update Mini Message to display non Latin characters.

5) Bug fix in Lavasoft news feed.

6) Added scanning engine statistics.

it's unbeliveable that lavasoft can't fix such a simple problem. i have never experienced a simular problem with another software.

It's hard to diagnose a problem when you can't replicate it. Haven't you ever had your car make a funny noise which stops when you bring it to the shop? Which is why Lavasoft has asked for volunteers for remote diagnosis - which you declined. :)

Well, it seems the saga of this problem continues....

I'm giving up and uninstalling this beast for good.

Downloaded the core.zip file just now to get the latest file for a manual import/update?

Got the old version 28 (again).

Waste of time and limited bandwidth (again).

========

Update:

In the process of uninstalling AAW-AE and cleaning up the registry with regedit, I may have stumbled onto something (?).

It appears that there are several "immunization" registry key entries placed in the registry by either SpyBot &/or SpywareBlaster (I presume) with variations of the name "adaware" in them (adaware.cc - adawareupdate.com - etc.). I don't know what the URL is that the web/automatic update in AE is calling out to, but perhaps if it is among these, it may be the culprit?? Might be interesting to see if those of us encountering the troubles have, or have ever used Spybot &/or Spywareblaster and have these immunization registry keys in common? (I run both of them BTW) or if eliminating them allows it to connect??

I don't have time to try a re-download, reinstall, etc. of AE and all that right now, but I thought I'd pass it along FWIW in the meantime.

Cheers!

Edited by Puzzled3

It appears that there are several "immunization" registry key entries placed in the registry by either SpyBot &/or SpywareBlaster (I presume) with variations of the name "adaware" in them (adaware.cc - adawareupdate.com - etc.). I don't know what the URL is that the web/automatic update in AE is calling out to, but perhaps if it is among these, it may be the culprit?

The similar URLs are just lures trying to catch people who mistakenly type/search for Ad-Aware instead of Lavasoft. Before Spybot and SpywareBlaster adds these to their definitions, they're supposed to confirm they are indeed malicious.

I'm still having this same problem, and yes, I tried all the solutions here stated, including the reinstallation one...

I also have this problem running Ad Aware 8.0.0.0 on XP, except the only aspect of it that I experience is the problem that the "Web Update" button on the AdAware window does not function. There is no error message either. The update shortcut accessed via Start>All Programs>Lavasoft etc. works fine. As already pointed out on this thread, this shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe" /forceupdate. Is it possible that the "forceupdate" toggle is key here? Does the "Web Update" button on the AdAware window use the forceupdate toggle and might it not work if it did?

It seems to me that many of the problems discussed on this thread may result from various unrelated causes. Thus the difficulty in solving many of these problems. However, the non-functioning Web Update button, appears to be an independent problem that can be worked around by using the forceupdate toggle. Therefore, shouldn't it be relatively easy to fix?

i have the same forceupdate toggle.

target: C:\Programme\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe /forceupdate

but it brings the same connection error as the web update button.

Here's something interesting. In XP, I found that making sure that microsoft's "Terminal Services" was started corrected the problem of the Web Update button not working. For those that don't know, in XP, Terminal Services can be started through Start>All Programs>Administartive Tools>Services if you have the Task Bar and Start Menu Properties configured to display Administrative Tools in All Programs. Many may already have this service running.

I also found that when I disabled Terminal Services I sometimes for the first time saw the "connection error" message. Eventually however, using the Web Update button would stop showing this error message and would simply stop working altogether. However, starting Terminal Services again always resulted in the Web Update button working fine.

To make sure Terminal Services is always available for proper function of the Web Update button, the service would have to be set to automatic. The manual setting will not work out. I have read much about the security risks of running Terminal Services on automatic and I don't think I want to run this service just so the Web Update button will work. However, if the need for Terminal Services is the issue here, Lavasoft might be able to fix that and have the Web Update button working when Terminal Services is not running.

my terminal service was set to manual and it was allready running.

i set it to automatic, but it didn't help.

the connection error is still present.

Sign in to follow this