Sign in to follow this  
Gnuwave

Ad-Aware AE includes pop-up advertising?

This morning I powered on my PC and was surprised to see a pop-up dialog in the lower right hand corner of my screen (picture attached) hawking supposed free editions of Ad-Aware Plus if I'd send flowers for Mother's Day.

Has my Anniversary Edition of Ad-Aware been infiltrated with spy or malware? Or has Lavasoft gone to the dark side and started behaving like the applications they purport to stop?

post-70182-1240581052.png

Same thing happening to me, too, both yesterday & this morning. Very surprising to get ads apparently from Lavasoft. I have been using Ad-Aware for years--never seen this. This must be some type of hi-jacking. Please advise.

Yep, especially irritating because Mothers Day here in the UK was on March 22nd, so Lavasoft show their International side by ramming a US Celebration down everyone's throats regardless!

What next, Happy Independence Day?

Remove these ads. Thanks!

I also had the Mother's Day ad popup. This is concerning since it seems unlikely that Lavasoft would place popups in software that is supposed to protect us from adware. I'm very concerned that this is some sort of hijack or infection.

When I had upgraded to the free AE I got a pop up ad reminding me to give Lavasoft products as Valentine Day gifts which turned out to be legit. Apparently now they want us to inflict this mess on our Mothers too. :lol:

Edited by The Elf

I registered for this forum because of this event. It may be the last time I post and the last time I use the product. Could someone official from Ad-Aware please either inform us that we are using a hijacked version (I downloaded from CNET) or admit that LavaSoft has gone to the dark side. I will either need to do an extensive security scrub of my system or start researching for a replacement product.

Guiness, we have a new entry for biggest oxymoron..

I see nothing from Lavasoft, so I guess it is safe to assume this Mother's Day popup is from Lavasoft.

This means that Lavasoft and Ad-Aware have crossed over to the Dark Side.

I will be removing Ad-Aware from all our computers and passing the word that Lavasoft and Ad-Aware are no longer acceptable or recommended. :lol:

All good things must come to an end.

ATTN: M G Holley

I also, "registered for this forum because of this event."

You've said it all.

As for a replacement product, I still have Spybot - Search & Destroy.

I have gotten this pop-up as well... where is Lavasoft to explain what's going on? :lol:

I never had a problem with Ad-Aware until now. There are quite a few people who have gotten this pop-up (if not everyone with Ad-Aware AE) so I'm guessing that with the *upgrade* that I received a few days ago for Ad-Watch Live this advertising was included. What's next, an anti-virus program that, well unfortunately, infects your computer? LOL

I hope to hear some kind of explaination from them soon.

Take care all

Edited by br3ax0r

I signed up just to post here.

What [Removed] is this? I've been using Ad Aware since its first release, and I've never seen anything like this. For a second there, I thought I was having some kind of dream.

That being said, I have been using this program for a long time and I'll give the company a chance to fix this 'bug' before I uninstall it.

And please, don't tell me this behavior is required to increase sales. It isn't. So long as other companies keep up with the same sacrilege, there will always be a market for Lavasoft. So fix this 'bug' or I'm sure lots of potential customers are going to be alienated and move on to an alternative.

[Removed obsessive language; its not needed, nor looked kindly upon here.]

Edited by SpySentinel
Mod. Edit. Censored obcenity. Casey & SpySentinel

Hi guys,

I'm not from Lavasoft and so can't give you an official word on this, BUT that said I do know that this is genuine from them. However, I agree with all of you and do not think this should be included.

The pop-ups are not present in the paid versions, only the free. But I can most definitely see the hypocracy in it and I too hope for the removal of the ads.

Casey

I was just deciding whether I would upgrade from SE and spent a lot of time and I think I have my answer...

I agree with everything here. I will not install the newer ad-aware until we hear this is resolved. I have been on SE waiting to see if I could stand the pain that I was sure Lavasoft would inflict on us with the new "improvements", and they have proved that they just don't understand. We really don't need a program that is sure pain against possible pain. I don't want active protection!! SPYBOT gives me that (I was using both).

I would pay for scan type protection, but is that even offered? I don't want the software to load anything until I run it!

Everybody updated this thread each time you read it, with what you think about Ad-Aware popping up ads! Maybe they will figure this out. These ads are the kind of rip that buy.com tries to stick you with. :o

:P

[Removed All Caps, Shouting is not needed here]

Edited by SpySentinel
Mod Edit ~ All caps insinuates shouting, which is not needed

Bump!

Nothing additional about Mother's Day. But then again, no official answer either. I'll give it until next week and then its un-install and look for another solution.

C'mon Lavasoft. Be the bigger man, admit you made a mistake, issue the formal apology, and assure us it won't happen again. Then we can go back to using you and recommending you to our business friends who pay for software....

:P

Ok, I haven't got an official Lavasoft line, but let's clarify some things:

1. This is genuine. It is not the result of a trojan, adware, rogue or other security risk.

2. This only shows up on free (AFAIK, def not Pro) edition. Lavasoft are only able to provide the free version because they sell Plus/Pro/Enterprise. This is not uncommon practice (in fact most commercial software companies do it) - for instance if you run AVG there is a small section of the main screen that asks you to consider buying the full version. Or you may remember the phrase "There's more to Acrobat than Reader".

Please bear the second point in mind - Lavasoft need to sell Plus/Pro to give away Free, so I think it's acceptable that they provide unobtrusive (and that message wasn't particularly obtrusive) messages promoting their paid versions.

All the best,

GoddersUK

First off, we understand all of your frustrations. We are volunteers here, we try to give you what information we know. GoddersUK has given some very important key points.

Having said that, we do NOT tolerate bad language or obsessive obscenity here on this site. Doing so will get your post edited, and you will be suspended for a few days. We understand your anger, but ranting about it and spamming the forum with trash will not help, it will get you in trouble. Also, please do not bump topics.

Thanks for your understanding,

SpySentinel

I sure didn't see any dirty pictures. What brought that comment about obscene stuff up?

Anyway, my concern is that the ad that is inflicted is probably the only reason the software such as the tray icon needs to be running all of the time, even though we shut off all of the active protection?

Otherwise, why would we need to be communicated to? Ad-Aware will never run full time on my PC, and will not do it's own thing, unless I ask it to run. I have antivirus and firewalls for that. So, if Ad-aware continues to ignore the customers as it has done several times in the past, and insists on disruptive upgrages, then I and others shall walk away. I spent many many hours helping people to find the link for the version that had the fix to bypass the dns problem with the lavasoft updates, and lavasoft had denied the problem. Man years were wasted on that problem. I spent probably 100 hours. The clock on this one shows several hours. I will continue to monitor the situation, but it is looking like the pain ain't wort the gain, even for free.

By the way, when you edited my last paragraph in the previous post, you messed up what I actually said. Whatever.

Edited by lav101

lav101,

I sure didn't see any dirty pictures. What brought that comment about obscene stuff up?

1) The "bad language or obsessive obscenity" comments were not directed at you - the edits to your various posts about "shouting" (using all caps) definitely were.

my concern is that the ad that is inflicted is probably the only reason the software such as the tray icon needs to be running all of the time, even though we shut off all of the active protection

2) The active protection provided by Lavasoft for the Free version of AAW Anniversary, previously restricted to only licensed users, is an additional free protection layer. As has been explained in numerous posts and stickies, Ad-Aware now runs as a service-based application and as such, runs all the time. It also has a very low resource consumption level - if I start a scan and then close it down to the system tray, it runs quietly in the background using only 1 - 3% of my system's resources!

Ad-Aware will never run full time on my PC, and will not do it's own thing, unless I ask it to run

3) The service-based approach not only allows users of all versions to receive automatic updates, but also makes it much more difficult for malware to cripple the program. I understand your attachment to the (very out-of-date) SE technology, but it was becoming vulnerable to modern malware attacks and therefore the whole approach had to be changed.

Yes, AAW AE may be manually configured to run only when a user specifically wishes it to do so - the steps involved in arranging it that way simply are not worth the time and effort. If you are unhappy with Ad-Aware Anniversary, no-one is forcing you to use it.

So, if Ad-aware continues to ignore the customers as it has done several times in the past, and insists on disruptive upgrades, then I and others shall walk away

4) It is not a program that you have ever paid for (by your own admission) and Lavasoft does need to recoup some of the expense of maintaining a Free version (something that it has undertaken always to provide).

Man years were wasted on that problem. I spent probably 100 hours

5) The "dns server error" was fixed two years ago. Any input from users here on the AAW Free user-community forum is appreciated - that said continually repeated references to something that you may have done that long ago simply look like boasting. Somehow, I don't think that today's community would be interested in reading about the literally thousands of hours of free assistance put in by the forum volunteers, including me, over the past few years. Simply not relevant.

As for the general debate about the rather unobtrusive messages - well explained by GoddersUK - how many of you choose to use the free versions of other programs which include banner advertising, pop-ups and "nag screens"?

I certainly use a number of these reliable, free programs and put up with the minor irritations in return for not spending money ... it is a personal choice.

That said, I am sure that LS will take due note of any well-worded arguments against them, provided that a feasible alternative is suggested :)

Regards,

Spike

An important point I'd like to make here is that although I agree that Free applications must be able to cover their cost, this way of doing it, (popups in an anti-spyware tool) got alot of people worried that their system (including Adaware AE) might be compromised... if you're going to do this at least make it part of the general Adaware window (i.e. a banner or something) so that it is clear it is "official"...

Just me 2 Canadian Cents,

Kheldan

I think I agree with you Kheldan,

Spike makes excellent points and, of course, Lavasoft is letting a VAST amount of users use this product for free. Obviously, this has financial benefits in the fact users might like the program and feel that they would like to upgrade.

Also users might want to access the extra tools, so they might upgrade.

Then, there is the fact that if Lavasoft advertise to free users they might get a few returns and some might upgrade. I think everyone must understand this. A company can't give their product away for free and remain financially stable.

However, I think the issue is of how Lavasoft did it. Pop-ups, especially from an Anti-Spyware company, was not a good move (in my opinion). I, personally, think in-line advertising in the program or on the splash screen at start up would be far better and less obtrusive. Also, cheap gimmicks about "Mother's day" just seems so "spammy".

Regards to all,

Casey

Hi Kheldan,

That is a valid point and one which I hope LS considers.

There is a space that they could use already waiting:

Poss_adverts.gif

Regards,

Spike

Wow, what a lively discussion. So, here's the official reply you've all been looking for from Lavasoft. My name is Michael and I'm VP of Sales & Marketing.

Yes, it's legit. It is a Lavasoft branded in-product message, and we used this same message system to communicate with our freeware users last year. It is one of the only ways for us to talk with you...particularly since we still respect your privacy and do not ask you to register an e-mail in order to receive our freeware versions. You are using our product....of course we want to talk with you sometimes.

There have been suggestions in this thread that we use a splash screen in order to communicate this message instead. That is a pop-up, folks! The lower-right messaging that we use is standard in today's security industry...Norton, ESET, AVG, it's all there.

The messages we send to our freeware users are very infrequent, and always geared with freeware users in mind...we're not just hocking products for the heck of it. The idea here is that you have a chance to upgrade your Ad-Aware security...for free! For a variety of reasons, freeware users don't pay for security software, but who's mom shouldn't get flowers on Mother's day? So, you buy the flowers instead, and get your upgraded security protection (which comes in a premium version at a cost) for free. Call us crazy, but we think it is an interesting and clever way for users to get better protection, still without having to pay for it.

And yes, we realize that Mother's Day doesn't fall in the same month for every country, but trust me, we did our research and it is coming up in quite a few countries around the world. Sorry, but we can't segment you out if your Mother's Day has already past. But to suggest that we are "ramming another US celebration" down your throats, now that just isn't playing fair. Did you know that we are actually located in Sweden?

I could go on and on (I'm a marketer by trade, after all, and we can talk!), but you guys have to give us a break. We do think about these things. We are sensitive to these things. We do research these things. This is not a pop-up. This is the industry standard for in-product messaging to users. And at the end of the day, we STILL give you the right to turn off this in-product messaging...check out your setting options.

We definitely appreciate the discussion. And we always pay attention.

Michael

Hello,

As I stated in my post last February, third party advertizing by a anti-malware software, to me should not be tolerated. It is one matter to push your own paid product, like AVG, but when Lavasoft uses a third party to push their own product, that is another matter entirely, it crosses a line that is fundamentally wrong.

I will never use a Anti-Malware anything, that uses malware tactics in their software.

Have a good one,

Wink

Edited by Wink

Well, Wink, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And my opinion is that you have chosen to hold Lavasoft to a different standard than other companies in the industry. We are 'pushing' our own paid products...and we're offering users a way to get that premium paid product... for free. Yes, that comes through a partner called Trialpay. But, it is still our product. If you want to be technical, and since you mention AVG in particular, you would have to go through a 3rd party to get their paid products as well...when you enter the shopping cart.

So, all we ask is that the Lavasoft of today be held to the same standards of our industry competitors, in order that we can continue to put our focus on the development of detection, removal, and clean-up of the nasties that are ever present on the Internet.

I hope that everyone can agree with that.

Michael