Sign in to follow this  
Gnuwave

Ad-Aware AE includes pop-up advertising?

Well, you did get that underscore thing in there, didn't you? And you got your boast in there, too. Thank me.

If there was a way to pay for the passive, scan version, I would have. If I could have had the LOOK of old version, I would have paid. I contribute to Spybot, and am making a note now to go give them $25 more. I suggest others do the same after reading this. Their new version came up with the original settings, and behaves the same, but FASTER. (I don't know how to do the underscore). I also buy the non-ad version of all other products. I am using paid Norton Internet Security 2008 (I believe it is), on Windows XP. No surprises. I use the paid version of JOTT, MAXEMAIL, and IDRIVE.

Ad-Aware was working fine for me until Lavasoft stopped the updates on 03/31'09. I had previous problems when Ad-Aware left Windows ME behind, but SPYBOT still runs on Windows ME. And as far as whether this is relevant, I am updating this item right now from a Windows ME Dell I800 Notebook, that works fine, and I will be running SPYBOT today. Symantec still provides updates, and I just updated a few minutes ago.

As far as boasting, that was not what I intended. I intended to show the pain and waste of human life (lost hours of life) that Lavasoft has caused, and as it turns out, you are suffering from this product also, as you just stated to everybody.

I worked with mainframe computers for 35+ years, and most of the software attempted to cause as little visible (user interface) change as possible. Of course, we had to take some companies on about unexpected operation. One of my co-workers commended me for this in one of his last emails before he died of cancer. My mission is to protect all of the users, and not just me. Most companies now only want to close each issue, since the product is beinng written out of house. Guess I'm Don Quixote - charging at wind mills. We used to fix software, but now it is take it of leave it, as you pointed out.

I believe Ad-Aware violated the principle of least astonishment (A Canadian guy once said this at a national IBM user's group meeting, and it appears to apply to Lavasoft).

And, I have had experience with doing one of the typical offers, such as on Buy.com. They were a rip. There a law suits by attorneys general af several states. Maybe not this one, but look at the Lavasoft page. It says free upgrade. It screams "NOW FREE!" It doesn't say anything about ads. My question was, what do I have to do to keep the free version? This was meant to mislead. That ad alone tells me to get away from this product. It feels like all of the other spyware.

Whatever. There were updates made by others while I was composing this masterpiece, and it looks like Lavasoft just admitted why they inflicted this new always running ap on us - so they could pop ads. Otherwise, they could have put a message like the one on the old version that is even now telling me my definitions are out of date.

And I agree that the mother's day thing is a typical adware thing.

Sorry I wasted everybody's time reading this, but I spent so much time on this I just have to post it. As pointed out just a while ago, the reliability is bad again, and response to problems is poor again. Marketing is up? to par, though.

Sorry, lav101, you don't get to misinterpret nor misrepresent my posts.

Your comment "...and it looks like Lavasoft just admitted why they inflicted this new always running ap on us - so they could pop ads." is only your opinion, and not the reason from the Lavasoft perspective. You've got to ask us if you want those answers straight from the horses mouth.

The reason that Lavasoft has an app that runs all the time - otherwise known as realtime protection - is because that is the only ethical way to protect users from what is happening in malware today. If we claim to provide the best protection for users, then we have to provide the technology to stand behind that. Realtime is the best protection for today. On demand scanning means the infection has already entered and is sitting on your computer. Prevention is always the better method, and that is what realtime protection is, which requires that the app runs all the time in order to block.

And, as always, we offer the users a chance to turn off real time if they don't want it.

So, let's not mix messages here. This thread is to air concerns about 'pop-ups' in Ad-Aware. We have in-product messaging, not pop-ups, that meet standards of the industry today. And as with just about everything else, we give users the right to turn that off if they wish. But for those who receive the messages positively, we have a very good response.

So I say, to each their own. If a fellow user wants to send flowers to their mom or their valentine and get an Ad-Aware upgrade and better protection for free, then why not?

But...I can appreciate that not everyone will agree with me, and that's why I think the forum is one of the best things out there, so everyone (and I repeat everyone in order to emphasize the fact that there are always two sides), gets their say.

Then we all make our own decisions. But at least the decisions are made with the knowledge of both sides of an issue.

Kheldan, I've read your concerns and issues with updates, and I'll make sure to forward the information to our development lead.

Cheers.

Michael

Michael,

It's good to see a company representative taking an interest in the forums, it's something other organisations could learn from (Asus on the eeepc for instance).

I haven't yet been able to get to the point of seeing the pop-up (although it doesn't sound too bad, maybe just needs to look a bit more official) because I can't get AE to run at all. This seems to be a pretty common problem judging from the number of posts so do LS have anything to say about it?

Thanks,

Andy

Michael,

Original poster here...

I appreciate your communication explaining Lavasoft's intent, but I think you're missing the point here a bit. Accusations and bug reports aside (those are off topic and should have been moved to another forum thread by you or the moderators), this was a very suspicious looking way for Lavasoft to communicate with its freeware users. Ad-aware is supposed to protect us from ads, and yet here was one appearing from the application itself, which lead most of us to believe that your software had been compromised. That's the primary issue here. None of us are privy to the decisions made by you are your marketing team. We saw something odd "pop up" one day from your program and I raised a legitimate concern via this forum. It then took 5 days for a response from you, so our suspicions increased pretty much on a daily basis.

You claim this method of communication is an industry standard, but as an AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware user, I can tell you that yours is the only one using this method to push an advert to your users. I don't recall seeing anything like this from Spybot. AVG uses this method only to inform me when a new version is available - not to tell me that I should make a purchase through some unknown third-party business.

Frankly, I find your attitude towards your users a little off-putting and condescending. These are your customers here, providing you with free data about their reactions/interpretations to your marketing decisions. Obviously, those decisions made by you and your co-marketers confused and concerned at least some of your customer base. That you miss the point that "here's Ad-Aware serving up an ad" causes concern for your customer base tells me there's quite a disconnect between the original intent of Ad-Aware and the desire for Lavasoft to make money (or that you and your marketing department just don't "get it").

Hi Gnuwave,

I understand your point about getting a pop up from Ad-Aware all of a sudden, when you are not accustomed to getting one. However, the reason it was there, as explained by Lavasoft, was to give users of the free version the opportunity to upgrade their free version to the Plus or Pro version giving them more protection. This is the standard today from security companies such as used by trend micro, avg, etc. Spybot does not do this because there product is free, they do not offer a "pro" version, hence why they do not have a need for a pop up to advertise their pro versions.

Hi Gnuwave,

I understand your point about getting a pop up from Ad-Aware all of a sudden, when you are not accustomed to getting one. However, the reason it was there, as explained by Lavasoft, was to give users of the free version the opportunity to upgrade their free version to the Plus or Pro version giving them more protection. This is the standard today from security companies such as used by trend micro, avg, etc. Spybot does not do this because there product is free, they do not offer a "pro" version, hence why they do not have a need for a pop up to advertise their pro versions.

I was staying silent, but: Does Lavasoft sell flowers? I actually don't know, but is Lavasoft directing us to a 3rd party site where the other company beyond Lavasoft's control will get our email address and put us on their or other email lists? Will they give us a virus? Does Lavasoft have any control over the other company and how they use the knowledge that we use Ad-Aware, and our information such as that we are a Lavasoft customer? Have they not endorsed the other company as safe by sending us there? It is the 3rd party thing that is the problem! Get it? This is a security breach caused by a security company. Better by far to ask for money if you need it.

Lavasoft, how do you know that company won't sell the emails of the suckers to your competition? They will have an opt-in list of your customers, and can sell whatever they want to them then, right?

Edited by lav101

Lavasoft, I hope you haven't fallen for a scam from an ad company selling flowers. See my previous post, but...

Once upon a time there were these 2 huge banks I know of. They were sending ads to customers to buy 3rd party stuff. Once the customer bought in to the free insurance, etc., the 3rd party had all of the contact info of the customers. Loss of control. Security breach of customer info, though "voluntary".

Then one of the banks sold all of the bank's credit card accounts to FIA, so the other did too. Now the 3rd party had all of the accounts and full contact info of most all of both of these huge banks customers. Guess what?? Bank of America bought FIA, and was in competition with the other 2 banks, and even tried to take over one of them. The banks then scrambled to re-sign up all of their customers for credit cards to get the accounts back. Huge expense. Loss of business, the customers were screwed, and so were the banks. This still did not erase the customer's data that was now at BOA.

See why we are concerned? I worked for one of the banks, and I know what goes on. We see these things happening on the internet, and that is why we had you! Have you lost control here? You are supposed to protect us from those 3rd parties, and your website even says that they will send us an email. So you gave them our contact info? If so, then we have a little customer info integrity problem? And who knows what their software does - do they access our PC's when we buy in or do the upgrade? How well do you really know these people?

Edited by lav101

lav101,

It doesn't matter whether someone purchases a product directly through from Lavasoft , or through a third-party promotion (such as Trial Pay), no personal details other than your email address and your actual product license info are passed to LS. These are obviously needed for product registration or Support services.

As with any other online purchase, the actual transaction details are processed/held by a reputable e-commerce provider, such as element5, plimus or digitalriver.

If these companies, or any other reputable e-sales provider, started to sell private information, you may be sure that they would very quickly be (1) out of business and (2) inundated with lawsuits.

Spike

Edit: Once a purchaser has registered their product, they can update contact details within the Support Center.

Although there is the option of providing LS with full contact/address details, the only required fields are your name and email address.

Edited by spike-nz

I don't know who you guys are, nor how you think you know what Lavasoft's agreement with the 3rd party is, or even who Trialpay is? This is on Lavasoft's website under the application to get a free PRO:

Step 1: Enter your details First name: Last name: E-mail:

You will receive a one time follow-up e-mail from TrialPay.

By clicking the button above, I agree with TrialPay's User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Read Trialpays agreement. Who is selling the flowers, also?

If my email was not sent to Trialpay, then how are they going to email me?? It sure looks like they get my name and email. It also proves to them that I use Ad-Aware, and that I am a Lavasoft customer.

I am waiting to hear from the Lavasoft marketing guy. By virtue of offering me a 3rd party product, Lavasoft is subjecting me to exposure to marketing and other exploitation by a 3rd (or many more) party, and tempting me to give away my contact info. This is contrary to the whole idea of the Ad-Aware product.

I await an answer from Lavasoft on this. Everybody else, please hold your opinions and speculation.

Edited by lav101

Step 1: Enter your details First name: Last name: E-mail:

You will receive a one time follow-up e-mail from TrialPay.

By clicking the button above, I agree with TrialPay's User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

You seem to be willfully missing the point...

You have to fill in your own details yourself ... and agree to TrialPay being given your details.

Otherwise, nothing gets sent to anyone.

This is becoming lav101's own conspiracy thread:

Everybody else, please hold your opinions and speculation

What, only you are entitled to post? You are telling all other users not to post?

This is getting so far off the original poster's issue that I'm closing this thread - it would appear that all angles have been covered, both by users and LS Marketing.

Spike