Sign in to follow this  
nathancase11@hotmail.com

CONNECTION ERRORS

Hi,

I run all that steps but it didn't help. :)

System: Win XP SP3 with all patches

Ad-Aware Version: 8.0.4 (Anniversary Edition; free)

Firewall: Standard Windows Firewall

Log: see att.

Best wishes and... good luck! :)

[===scouTOM===]

Update.log

Have tried to use the workaround methods to fix this problem. i cannot get updates for my adware this problem occured after and adware update in april i have uninstalled this program twice and reinstalled it to no avail on the updates i need to get this fixed or i will probably just have to get rid of this program for good and i do not want to but it is no good without the updates :) i am running windows vista home service pack 3 i believe ad-aware anniversary edition windows firewall running avast anti virus

Edited by detrocker

Thanks for posts - Workround 2 appears to have sorted out my laptop running Vista; my desktop running XP has not been affected by this problem at all!

Curiouser and curiouser...

Hi Utrying2,

thx for your "workaround".

Sorry, but it doesn't help. Same problem as before: "Connection error - Check your settings"

BTW, the Ad-Aware system tray icon is loaded each time I start my computer / Ad-Aware. Just the Web-update function (started from system tray or main menu) seems to work not correctly...!?!

Greetz,

[===scouTOM===]

I also can not update Ad Ware AE. I tried all work arounds still no good. Her is the requested Information I tried doing update with firewall off still not working.

Oper Sys VISTA Home Premium Service Pack 1

AD Ware AE Ver 8.04

Firewall PC Tools free

Update Log is attached

Thank You for looking into this issue

Powerman708

Update.log

I also can not update Ad Ware AE. I tried all work arounds still no good. Her is the requested Information I tried doing update with firewall off still not working.

Oper Sys VISTA Home Premium Service Pack 1

AD Ware AE Ver 8.04

Firewall PC Tools free

Update Log is attached

Thank You for looking into this issue

Powerman708

Turn off user account controls. then go to start menu. my programs/lavasoft/ad-aware/adwareupdates and the program will update for you when you turn off the uac you have to reboot but this should work for you it did for me last night then i went and put uac back on next time i update ad-aware i will repeat the process over again lot of hassle but until they get a fix it is what you have to do!!!!

I'm using Windows XP and I downloaded the free version of Ad-Aware. Can't update. Removing firewall didn't do it. Workaround #1 didn't do it. For Workaround #2, when I go to the compatability tab I don't have a listing of Windows XP, only 95, 98/Me, NT/SP4, and 2000. I tried various combinations without success.

wow !

still no fix from lavasoft ??

all my other programms are updating without any errors.

what is lavasoft doing ?

i guess they don't understand their own secrets :)

Mod. Edit @ robcara: I have moved your post to it's own topic. Casey

Edited by casey_boy

I use Vista Home Premium sp1

None of the work arounds work.....had no problem till I updated to Anniversary Edition 8.04 free edition

I do not use a firewall....have trend micro virus control

Hope you come up with a fix.....I dont want to not be able to use Ad-Aware....been using it for years!!

FYI

Ad-Aware AE: Connection error when clicking web update.

by John on May 12th, 2009.

If you're experiencing a 'connection error' when clicking web-update please try updating from the start menu (Start->All Programs->Lavasoft->Ad-Aware and click 'Ad-Aware Updates') or use one of the workarounds below.

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and right click onAAWService.exe, select properties in popup menu and in the Compatibility tab. Change the Compatibility mode to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (service Pack 2)" , click ‘apply’ then ‘ok’. Do the same for Ad-AwareAdmin.exe and then retry the web-update.

Raziel

@Raziel

show them the XP compartibility mode on a XP system !

... this workaround is only working for a few vista systems !

no news !

Hi, I'm having the same problems as everyone else: "connection error: check your settings" when trying to update

Windows Vista Home premium: Service Pack 1

Ad-aware Free Anniversery Edition, Version 8.0.4

Windows Defender Firewall

I also have installed the following: Avast 4.8 antivirus, Spybot Search + Destroy, and SpywareBlaster

Update log is attached, thanks!

Update.log

Update.log

Yup, I'm having the same problems but I'm new to Ad-Aware so this isn't a good start.......

Windows XP SP3

AdAware version 8.0.3

aVast spyware

ZoneAlarm firewall (which I also cant seen to update just now)

Attached is the log file requested......

Edited to say I've done both the workarounds a couple of times but my folders didn't have the drop-down option for any XP operating system just older op's like 2000, ME and 95.........

Edited to say that I also cant get connected to Spybot Search and Destroy, A squared or microsoft update pages using my browser......is this some sort of Mal/Spy-ware stopping me doing this.......?

EDIT: I ran HijackThis and Combo-Fix and after Combo-Fix had returned my browser settings back to default including putting IE back as default browser I was able to download updates no problem at all.........I downloaded the Malicious Software Removal Tool, which I couldn't previously but it found nothing........but my Firefox is still acting up when used as my browser but IE seems ok.......I think people who cant download are affected by somekind of browser hacking software which prohibits downloads..........HTH...XX

Chris.

Mod. Edit. Merged your posts together for you. Casey

Update.log

Update.log

Edited by casey_boy

foh

ngk2323

Some LS research guys want to help you via remote computer.

Are you interested ? Feel free to pm me.

Raziel

because of security / privacy reasons, no. thanx !

all my remote services are disabled anyway ;-)

maybe somebody else likes to do this ?!

Edited by foh

I posted on the 26 April regarding the ongoing issues with updates. I have tried the workarounds but nothing allows me to update. Still getting the same messages.

Incidently, my laptop computer that runs XP updates fine!

Are Lavasoft any nearer to resolving the problem?

Well, I'm having the same "Connection error check settings" trouble and cannot update using any of the workarounds or anything (I have read and tried them all to no avail).

Have been running AAW SE+ (which is no longer being supported) because the 2007 (and onward) version(s) wouldn't work right either!

When I heard SE was being dropped, I decided to give AE a try. No Joy.

Frankly, I'm about to give up entirely on this product, as it never seems to work correctly in its "revisions."

SE+ (in my experience) was the last stable version of this software.

I have absolutely NO troubles with ANY other software on my machine BTW.

At any rate, for what it's worth, here is the info you request toward finding a "solution" to this problem:

Your Operating System and any Service Pack installed: Win XP SP2

Your Ad-Aware Version: 8.0.4 AE Free

Any firewall software you have installed: Zone Alarm, and AAW has FULL access to the connection.

Your update log: (See attachment)

Cheers!

*******Posts Merged*******

Just an update on this situation ....

It appears now, that by using the D/L of the core.zip, and the "Import" method, the updating is working.

I think the reason it did not appear to be working previously, is that the link I was using to D/L the core.zip file from this website, was giving me an old version (028) of the update file rather than the latest one.

Therefore it did not appear to be updating after restarting the program (which, in reality, it wasn't, since the core file was an old version that happened to be the same as the one I had from the install).

At any rate, I am able to update using this workaround, but am still hoping to see the "bug" fixed on the connection error issue for auto updates.

Cheers!

Update.log

Edited by casey_boy

Hello.

Any news on when the failure to update problem will be fixed? I didn't think it would take this long.

Where can I download the prior version of the program? I would like to use that until the problem is fixed?

Thank you.

Note: Using the start menu I am sent a message that there are no updates, so I assume that it is communicating with Lavasoft and is working. I can not update from the update button in the GUI.

Your Operating System and any Service Pack installed

XP Professional Version 2002 service pack 3

Your Ad-Aware Version (to find this click the "about" button on Ad-Aware's main interface) and which edition you are running i.e. free/plus/pro.

Adaware 2008 7.1.0.12

Any firewall software you have installed

McAfee Personal Firewall 9.1

Your update log. Please attach as a file do not just copy and paste. Instructions on how to find this are given below:

You will first need to configure your computer to view hidden files. Tutorial here

Navigate to the following folders:

Vista: C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

Use the board's attachment system to upload your file.

Note: Using the start menu I am sent a message that there are no updates, so I assume that it is communicating with Lavasoft and is working. I can not update from the update button in the GUI.

Go to Start menu, select Run. type services.msc and hit enter.

When the window opens check to see if Terminal Services is running. If not try starting the Terminal Sevices (or just set it to Automatic) and reboot. See if the updates work and let us know.

Go to Start menu, select Run. type services.msc and hit enter.

When the window opens check to see if Terminal Services is running. If not try starting the Terminal Sevices (or just set it to Automatic) and reboot. See if the updates work and let us know.

in my case terminal service is manual and running.

update doesn't work !

Hi,

regarding all posts concerning 'connection error' problems I can give you some good news (good news... for me ;) ):

After a long time I decided to run my desktop PC again. It's an old one, not quite fast... but it works.

System: Win 2000 SP4 with all patches

Ad-Aware Version: 8.0.5 (Anniversary Edition; free)

Firewall: Standard Windows Firewall

Log: see att.

I updated AdAware after booting... and there were no 'connection errors' (even after re-updating; it just says that software is up to date). :)

Perhaps it's not the right kind of system and/or AdAware version... but maybe it helps...!?

Good luck to all those who work on solving this problem...! :rolleyes:

[===scouTOM===]

Update.log

Sign in to follow this